Switching from Non-ED that hasn't been cancelled to Thailand Elite Visa

I was on a Non-ED last year for a few months and then switched to the covid extensions. I'd like to switch to an Elite visa now but the Thai Elite staff are saying my school has to provide: an official document from the Office of Basic Educational Commission: OBEC. I'm worried that 1) My school will refuse to provide this because there's nothing in it for them. 2) I believe the school branch where I got my Non-ED no longer exists but they seem to still have branches in other cities so I'm not sure how that affects it.

I'm also willing to leave the country and come back if I have to but I believe that still does not cancel the Non-ED so might be pointless. I don't want to pay the large fee and then have problems anyway as they have made it clear, once you pay, there are no refunds. Appreciate any help or input on this. I'm willing to do whatever I need to.

When you got your first Covid extension, didn't immigration put an additional stamp into your passport that canceled the extension based on attending school that you had at the time?

That's how it's supposed to be done, and assuming that it was done, your extension WAS canceled. They might still want that letter for their records, so it's probably best to ask your school about it. As for "there's nothing in it for them", well, that depends on you. You could offer a sweetener if that's what it takes. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Caldera said:

When you got your first Covid extension, didn't immigration put an additional stamp into your passport that canceled the extension based on attending school that you had at the time?

That's how it's supposed to be done, and assuming that it was done, your extension WAS canceled. They might still want that letter for their records, so it's probably best to ask your school about it. As for "there's nothing in it for them", well, that depends on you. You could offer a sweetener if that's what it takes. 

Thanks for your answer. It doesn't seem that they did that from what I can tell. The school has responded now though and said they can cancel it and issue the letter for whatever date I want. If I cancel the Non-ED now, it doesn't affect my permission to stay date for the COVID extension correct? I don't want to cancel it now and then be on overstay when my permission to stay date is good until the end of April currently.

There seem to be a lot of questions about Thai Elite. From what I have read, it seems a ridiculously expensive to get very few real perks......1,000,000 Baht for a five year visa (I read it has to be renewed after five years). I would call it a renewable 5 year visa, not a ten year visa.

Enough said, there are as many questions about the elite visa as complaints about having to leave less than  1,000,000 in the bank for a period of time for a retirement extension. Guys talking like Rockerfeller complaining that they are losing out on the pitiful amount of interest, like this is a life or death debate.

So it seems the expats are either in the money no object camp, or the backpacker 10 baht is a huge amount of money camp. 

1 minute ago, Pedrogaz said:

There seem to be a lot of questions about Thai Elite. From what I have read, it seems a ridiculously expensive to get very few real perks......1,000,000 Baht for a five year visa (I read it has to be renewed after five years). I would call it a renewable 5 year visa, not a ten year visa.

Enough said, there are as many questions about the elite visa as complaints about having to leave less than  1,000,000 in the bank for a period of time for a retirement extension. Guys talking like Rockerfeller complaining that they are losing out on the pitiful amount of interest, like this is a life or death debate.

So it seems the expats are either in the money no object camp, or the backpacker 10 baht is a huge amount of money camp. 

600,000 baht for 5 years with the option to upgrade at anytime to 20 years for an extra 400,000 baht. It has to be renewed every year if you stay continuously for that long and you still have to do 90 day reports. It's the only legal option for people under 50 who want to stay in Thailand long term and don't work in Thailand or want to get married. The price is worth it for me to be here legally as long as I want and not have any other obligations besides doing 90 day reports.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

It is not really a renewal after 5 years. It is just getting a new visa sticker put in your passport. You don't have to submit a new application or anything like that.

• Like 2

School now says they will just give a letter and I will have to go to immigration and get it cancelled myself. Seems like there is a process to do this on the same day you have an appointment to get the Thai Elite Visa affixed so I will just do that and hope it goes smoothly. 

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not really a renewal after 5 years. It is just getting a new visa sticker put in your passport. You don't have to submit a new application or anything like that.

Correct UJ (as usual lol ☺️)

I'm confused! Please help

So it looks like it's always better to cancel your extension of stay (based on ED) before leaving Thailand?

It's actually something not very clear to me (still), and I'm reading opposing views on the internet (here and Facebook).

If I read these two posts from the past, it is said that it doesn't really matter to cancel it, from what I understand, you can just leave the country no problem!

The misteries of Thailand...

On this Thai Visa Advice facebook post, the moderator clearly says you can even get fined for overstay next time you go to Immigration (it's happened to many, 20k baht):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1395920320731833/permalink/3336319810025198/

I'm very interested because I'm in the same position and will face this same issue soon.

Thanks&Regards

5 hours ago, pub2022 said:

The misteries of Thailand...

On this Thai Visa Advice facebook post, the moderator clearly says you can even get fined for overstay next time you go to Immigration (it's happened to many, 20k baht):

The only cases can recall of a person had a problem due to not canceling their extension was when a person was on a extension based upon working when they went to immigration to apply for a new extension. Immigration wanted a letter from the previous employer to cancel it before they would issue a new one based upon working.

No problem for those on other types of extensions.

• Thanks 1