Images Of Samui, Phangan And Tao

Lamai this afternoon... around Buddies area. Quite a nice place to walk around!

SAM_0774.JPG

That's one big elephant head,! Motor bike and side car plus racing car!

SAM_0777.JPG

SAM_0778.JPG

SAM_0781.JPG

Fort hose wanting the slow lane! A Rickshaw ..... !

SAM_0783.JPG

Across the road toward the beach.... putting in a new seawall.

SAM_0788.JPG

SAM_0786.JPG

This looks like fun.... Maenam beach area .... armchair water skiing ! ..... while the weather was nice this morning!

SAM_0769.JPG

and they are off!

Don't think the cat enjoyed it tongue.png

the_flying_water_cat.jpg

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif poor pussy! tongue.png.... and no life jacket either....biggrin.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A few months back, I walked from Bottle Beach on KPG to Thong Nai Pan. I returned today to explore some of the sideroads I didn't have time for last time... And I came upon this:

tnp.jpg

This is overlooking TNP (Noi in the foreground, Yai background) on a hill towards Bottle Beach. A big, unfinished compound, seemed to be several years old and only partially finished, though at least one of the buildings seemed to be in use. Seemed huge - that wall (including barbed wire) stretches a few hundred yards around the compound. Did not look inviting, though the views were breathtaking (the picture doesn't do them justice). The works had clearly been abandoned some time ago, so I guess some big hitter was going to build himself a castle but never finished it.

Anyone know when this was built and for whom? There were signs in Thai, no idea what they said.

A few months back, I walked from Bottle Beach on KPG to Thong Nai Pan. I returned today to explore some of the sideroads I didn't have time for last time... And I came upon this:

tnp.jpg

This is overlooking TNP (Noi in the foreground, Yai background) on a hill towards Bottle Beach. A big, unfinished compound, seemed to be several years old and only partially finished, though at least one of the buildings seemed to be in use. Seemed huge - that wall (including barbed wire) stretches a few hundred yards around the compound. Did not look inviting, though the views were breathtaking (the picture doesn't do them justice). The works had clearly been abandoned some time ago, so I guess some big hitter was going to build himself a castle but never finished it.

Anyone know when this was built and for whom? There were signs in Thai, no idea what they said.

One of many skeletons around the islands.... money ran out perhaps....?

Probably did, just wondering whose money smile.png The road outside was tiled, not just paved... There was a house at the end of the road, built in Thai style and only extravagant, not a bloody compound like this one. I've never seen anything this bloody huge here. The dogs persuaded me not to explore too closely... tongue.png

Edited by AngThong

• 2 weeks later...
IMAG0488.jpg

It was a memorable trip, not least because soon after leaving Had Yao, I fell in a steep slope, broke both mirrors, scraped my scooter & leg and ended up paying a thousand baht for repairs... Will rent a dirt bike next time.

Looks just like the road to Haad Rin, circa 1996.

• Like 2

Ban Tai beach

IMG_3067.JPG
IMG_3066.JPG

Same part of that beach now.... high tides over last few months, have caused a lot of problems on that end of Ban Tai beach... even the resort in that area has been closed...

Every time I go down there it is a little bit worse...sad.png

IMG_4620.jpg

From above...

IMG_4627.CR2.jpg

• Like 2

Must have been lovely times. I tried driving to Had Thien, my Click couldn't do it - will try again later with a dirt bike.

I guess that circa 2016, the Had Yao East road will look like the road to Had Rin today...

Edited by AngThong

Must have been lovely times.

Indeed. I would often make the bike trip to Haad Rin just for the trip's sake. After a while one would get to know each individual rut on the dirt road quite well - and those hills were steeper and more challenging then. Even managed to get the bike up the super-steep track attempt (from the Buddha lookout point up the mountain towards Haad Yao) before that washed away completely. Saw lots of skin-shedding accidents during that time, but very few or no fatalities on those much slower dirt roads.

The mountain track to Haad Yao East needs some serious Baht from the government before it can become a viable access road. The couple of hundred metres of twin cement tracks (laid in 2008-2009 on the steeper sections) cost the resort owners a small fortune, and what's left won't hold up against the rainy season erosion much longer.

• Like 2

Must have been lovely times.

Indeed. I would often make the bike trip to Haad Rin just for the trip's sake. After a while one would get to know each individual rut on the dirt road quite well - and those hills were steeper and more challenging then. Even managed to get the bike up the super-steep track attempt (from the Buddha lookout point up the mountain towards Haad Yao) before that washed away completely. Saw lots of skin-shedding accidents during that time, but very few or no fatalities on those much slower dirt roads.

The mountain track to Haad Yao East needs some serious Baht from the government before it can become a viable access road. The couple of hundred metres of twin cement tracks (laid in 2008-2009 on the steeper sections) cost the resort owners a small fortune, and what's left won't hold up against the rainy season erosion much longer.

Too bad I got here so late. Although now is no doubt better than, say, 2023... I thought the Had Yao road OK up to the junction where one road heads off to the airport and another in the opposite direction (Had Yao), it becomes worse maybe half a mile or so after that when it begins to head downhill towards the beach. The slope I fell in was almost the last before the concrete part leading to the beach.

Some abandoned bungalows and bungalow foundations in the Southern end of Had Yao, on the rocks, only one "resort" (a handful of simple bungalows and a couple of tents) in operation when I visited, in the Northern end... Someone went bust?

High and low tides Maenam beach, recently (October)

End of Soi 4 Maenam

SAM_0897.JPG

About 2 kilometers west ... people still enjoying swimming!

Interesting to see what happens to the beach restaurant, where I dined, in the daytime.

Thanks, Jimmy.

Edited by Dancealot

• 4 weeks later...