Images Of Samui, Phangan And Tao

The Scenic Route...from Lamai temple to Maenam. Lots of nice scenery and a goes to prove that Samui isn’t as spoilt as some people think it is.

It’s a nice ride but beware, it’s quite a bit steeper than it looks in the vid.

Very good Neilly!! You drive much faster than me, wink.png I do that route several times a month sometimes...(both ways) No cyclists today, perhaps more a week-end thing ? ... but more motorbikes than usual!

Right on about all of Samui is not all spoiled .... I would guess 85 to 90 % of the island is like that....some parts nicer too... especially the farms in the centre thumbsup.gif

Your next assignment biggrin.png

.... to to keep going straight where you hesitated to turn right... go up to the new Lamai Temple on the hill... then you can choose to go to Lipa Noi or down the centre and come out at Soi 5 Maenam... ummm..... a little rougher whistling.gif ... but doable! thumbsup.gif

What camera were you using? a little pix-elated in full screen but not too bad! thumbsup.gif

Edited by Rooo

Very good Neilly!! You drive much faster than me, wink.png I do that route several times a month sometimes...(both ways) No cyclists today, perhaps more a week-end thing ? ... but more motorbikes than usual!

Right on about all of Samui is not all spoiled .... I would guess 85 to 90 % of the island is like that....some parts nicer too... especially the farms in the centre thumbsup.gif

Your next assignment biggrin.png .... to to keep going straight where you hesitated to turn right... go up to the new Lamai Temple on the hill... then you can choose to go to Lipa Noi or down the centre and come out at Soi 5 Maenam... ummm..... a little rougher whistling.gif ... but doable! thumbsup.gif

Assignment accepted thumbsup.gif ...bought the bike last week and still running it in at the mo, but intend to explore all the inner roads. I gave away all my off-road gear last year so have to get some more before taking on any of the rough stuff tho wink.png

Your next assignment biggrin.png .... to to keep going straight where you hesitated to turn right... go up to the new Lamai Temple on the hill... then you can choose to go to Lipa Noi or down the centre and come out at Soi 5 Maenam... ummm..... a little rougher whistling.gif ... but doable! thumbsup.gif

Assignment accepted thumbsup.gif ...bought the bike last week and still running it in at the mo, but intend to explore all the inner roads. I gave away all my off-road gear last year so have to get some more before taking on any of the rough stuff tho wink.png

I am well experienced on these roads, and would offer to show you the way, but think I'd be left in the dust!!! biggrin.pngBut do expect a few ruts in some areas! ....

Only one road has beaten me so far and that is one of the ones to Nathon, from Maenam.... (I had to turn around .... that was last week!) sad.png

I am well experienced on these roads, and would offer to show you the way, but think I'd be left in the dust!!! biggrin.pngBut do expect a few ruts in some areas! ....

Only one road has beaten me so far and that is one of the ones to Nathon, from Maenam.... (I had to turn around .... that was last week!) sad.png

Getting lost is part of the fun of it Jimmy...just so long as you don't end up in a hole you can't get out of! Just been looking on Google earth and see the roads you're on about. I'll give them ago in the next couple of days unless I get called back to work beforehand (poss Saturday sad.png ).

What beat you on the road from Nathon to Maenam?

Getting lost is part of the fun of it Jimmy...just so long as you don't end up in a hole you can't get out of! Just been looking on Google earth and see the roads you're on about. I'll give them ago in the next couple of days unless I get called back to work beforehand (poss Saturday sad.png ).

What beat you on the road from Nathon to Maenam?

This section here got very steep, and i "chickened out!" It was just before the rain last week, so sand was very dry .... that's the worst scenario, is dry sand in my opinion, ...... People were coming down, they did say it got easier after this steep section,..... but .... I might be a bit crazy but I know my limits! !!!! whistling.gif

(Just behind this guy it was a sharp turn going up and quite rutted ! ) Locals are usually helpful!

IMG_7654.JPG

This is the road that goes straight from the View Point restaurant... (keep going straight and not take the steep concrete section that runs into Soi 5 )

The other road to Nathon comes out at Autoboy, close to the Honda shop in Nathon.... that was not too bad! You would turn left just before View Point Restaurant. (hoping memory serves me correctly there!) .... But worse case if the road runs out you just turn around and try another route!

Be aware of the Safari Trucks!... For anyone wanting to see the centre of the island and a bit nervous on a bike that would be a better alternative!

• Like 2

Some of the roads are also like this

or this !

If all the roads looked like this it would be bliss!!!

Thanks for the other info as well Jimmy...very useful thanks thumbsup.gif

I have been "harping" on about these great back roads for a long time, check back to earlier posts in this section, there are lots more images, already posted ! thumbsup.gif also probably in the Maenam to Lamai in 20 mins, tread, too! wink.png

Thanks for all of the pics Neilly (and SJ)

Obviously Samui has gone to the dogs and full of Russians and other Mafia types. whistling.gif

I read this today

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9929952/Fears-over-safety-of-tourists-in-Phuket.html

Perhaps Samui is not so bad after all???? thumbsup.gif

There is more to Samui than just Chaweng. It's a shame that most visitors do not see that!wai.gif

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

The roads up there can vary, at different times of the year, they do sometimes grade them level again, so yes perhaps a bit of an understatement.... It does depend on timing,.... I've not done that section for a while!

Yes, there are a number of "pit stops" along some of these routes..... My favorite is Grand Kingdom, where they'll make you a coffee using coconut husks to boil the water.... Price is "up to you" !!!! wink.png

That leads down a very rough road to Lamai, not near the temple you started at in your video Neilly, ! (best to turn back and find another route, somewhere! (at Grand Kingdom, should you find it! ) ...

Re Trops post:

As for the Phuket article.... it's the usual negative stuff... dig deeper and find the news in the Brit papers about the poor innocent girl stabbed on a bus in Birmingham (i think) this or last week.... while she was on a bus! (that was on Sky News) ... so I guess no one should go to the UK! ?

The real reason the Queen Mary did not stop in Samui last month was because of the guy shot at the FMP on KP....blink.png That got the "wind up" with everyone on the ship.... so they went to Pattaya (sp) (god forbid! w00t.gif ) .... I got that from a very reliable source last night.... who's involved with tour guiding these groups that do stop at Samui.

There is a ship in today... one of the Carnival ships, if anyone want to go look! wink.png

The roads up there can vary, at different times of the year, they do sometimes grade them level again, so yes perhaps a bit of an understatement.... It does depend on timing,.... I've not done that section for a while!

Yes, there are a number of "pit stops" along some of these routes..... My favorite is Grand Kingdom, where they'll make you a coffee using coconut husks to boil the water.... Price is "up to you" !!!! wink.png

That leads down a very rough road to Lamai, not near the temple you started at in your video Neilly, ! (best to turn back and find another route, somewhere! (at Grand Kingdom, should you find it! ) ...

Thoroughly enjoyed riding around in the hills Jimmy...some parts were a lot worse than others, but on a whole not too bad...there was was lots of ruts on the top section though.

I'm off to work tomorrow, but will do some more vids when I get back for sure thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the oddest things on Samui, a Tunnel at Ban Tai beach!

I ventured up to see where this "hole in the wall" went.... basically nowhere!!!.... one has to wonder why it was constructed ?

2013-03-26-430.jpg

Other end

2013-03-26-431.jpg

Short walk up from beach! Great view!

2013-03-26-438.jpg

• Like 2

I ventured up to see where this "hole in the wall" went.... basically nowhere!!!.... one has to wonder why it was constructed ?

2013-03-26-430.jpg

Other end

Whoa. I am sure that there is a ghost in that first photo. Spooky (or is it the ale talking?)

As you say - strange construction. Maybe a Tsunmai shelter?

2013-03-26-430.jpg

Other end

Whoa. I am sure that there is a ghost in that first photo. Spooky (or is it the ale talking?)

As you say - strange construction. Maybe a Tsunmai shelter?

ummm I think you should slow down on the ale.... tongue.png Ghost?

Don't think it would be high enough up for a Tsunami shelter, perhaps 20 to 30 metres.... and that is not a crowded beach (usually) ......(opps not supposed to say that ..... w00t.gif biggrin.png )

People would get flushed in then sucked out again....biggrin.png ..... hmmm ?

Perhaps a running track for hot days!!!..... whistling.gif

The Buddha's

IMG_00000085Large_zps012a6469.jpg

Where exactly can I find these Buddhas ???

There are several roads you can get there..... from LIpa Noi area, Hau Thanon,(I have not done than one yet, but there is a sign post, saying HT) Lamai and Maenam, both Soi 1 and Soi 5 ... (all these roads meet up... but they are not really well sign posted and road conditions vary w00t.gif )

Probably the easiest way, is take the road just near Buddies Complex in Lamai (Mini Mart on Corner) and follow that road but do not turn right to Maenam, just go straight! (if you watch Neillys movie... You go straight where he hesitates and turns right...perhaps about 4 to 5 kms in) Or you can do from Soi 1 Maenam and turn right at the same corner!)

It's concrete for a while but then turns into rough in parts, as it goes up the hill to the Temple... It's a good view over looking Lamai, if it's not too hazy.... thumbsup.gif Some sections quite steep and will be difficult with the dry sand and ruts on some parts...Dry sand is very slippery when dry... take it easy!

One thing for sure it will be cooler up there! wink.png

Last time I was up there there were "Jungle Safari Trucks" up there, packed with Tourists, that might be an alternative way to go.... I assume they do the whole mid island jungle trip....

Edited by samuijimmy

Thanks Jimmy. I'd be going from the Maenam Soi 1 end, so would have to look out for the right turn.

Any idea what the white and orange building is?

OK Ian, you'll go up over the centre and down again!!!! .... so about 13 km or so, from Maenam there is a small house just before the corner and a bare plot of land ... it's really about the only place there is a "T" junction, most traffic would turn to the left.... (so you turn right!) lots of sand on that corner so watch that !!! Concrete for a while, then gravel/sand... bare to the right and go up! The temple will be on your left....if I remember about 5 more Kms, You'll pass one restaurant (or maybe two on that stretch? )

Not sure what the orange and white part is... perhaps class rooms ? or place where people can sleep...?. it's a work in progress ... each time I have been up ... a bit more has been done!!!!

If you are two people on say a Honda click, you may end having to let the passenger walk up some of the grades!

Let us know you made it! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

• 2 weeks later...

For the benefit of anyone arriving by car / pickup at Donsak, the Seatran and Raja Ferries are about one kilometer apart...

Seatran ferry arrives Nathon, and Raja Ferry at Lipa Noi (usually!) about 6 or 7 kms south of Nathon... Ferries to KP would arrive at Tongsala.

Ferries run about every hour... for walk on, or vehicle and motor bikes...

Ticket counters at terminal at each end.

IMG_0152.JPG

This is the one of the Seatran Ferry loading... at Donsak.

IMG_0163.JPG

There is also a Songterm Ferry, terminal, but I am not sure where it's located on the mainland side ~ !wink.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Beach in Lamai, just beyond Grand father / Grand Mother rocks..... yesterday...

A stark contrast to the storm days of a few months ago! Access where the car and motor bike parking is just off the ring road.

IMG_0384.JPG

View from GF and GM rocks.... Tides currently very low... (Close walking distance to where above image was made)

IMG_0444.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 2

Big C mini Store, now being built on Koh Phangan.... .... on Tongsala and Haad Rin road.... Looks larger than the Tesco mini store, built in 2008.... Probably a mix of small stores too.

Schedule to open in May, from what I could gather. Slowly things are improving on KP!

IMG_1592.JPG

front entrance...

IMG_1486.JPG

Improving? Depends on your perspective I guess... tongue.png

Well some things, have improved, since I lived there!!!...... But definitely depends on the area ! tongue.png

I was referring more to shopping choices .... It used to drive me crazy driving down from Maehaad area, and find Tesco was out of even the basic stuff crazy.gifw00t.gif

Mind you that still happens with Tescos on Samu, tooi, but at least we have Makro and Big C ..... thumbsup.gif not to mention other shops that have about everything, we need!

Edited by samuijimmy

Yeah my comment was tongue in cheek :P Some of us need next to nothing you know ;) (I virtually never use Tesco or any other "market" for that matter)

My idea of an ideal place would be Phangan in the 80's with stable electricity & fast and stable internet... The rest of the development can go :D (I know, it doesn't happen that way... Doesn't mean you can't dream :P )

• Like 1