Images Of Samui, Phangan And Tao

It's my Photo of Koh Samui. Unique photos. You can download zip. 14mb., 79 photos, 1024 x 768

And my photo of Thailand. As unique photos. And download zip. 12,8mb., 81 photos, 1024 x 768

To have a rest to me very much it was pleasant. Now I go for one month. :o

P.S. Here not my photos of a night life on Samui, but too the interesting :D

samui19.jpg

Edited by johngordey

• 2 weeks later...

Nice try 'Mark Wolfe' to make a HDR, but it lacks that whump in the clouds that really makes it look like a HDR

post-3770-1239976810_thumb.jpg

Shame I do not have that original photo to show you what Kan be done. :D

Good shot BTW and keep on doing it your way. Perhaps you could visit us in our photo & art section to help you and us along should you wish to. :o

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

• Like 2

Yes, it is only a "nice try." However, without being crafty at Photoshop (none was used) this is the nicest try I could achieve. Also remember that garbage in = garbage out, and these series of photos were shot with a poor-man's camera, not a Nikon D700 with a Canon EF 35mm lens, and with a camera hick's knowledge of settings.

If you really want to show me up, PM me your email and I will send you the separate images.

Remember, just to be fair, you have to use only Photomatrix software, as I did. When you blow me out of the water, please get a screen shot of the settings you used so I can see "how it's done."

Also, I am aware that HDR can be done in Photoshop, if you know what you are doing, which I don't. I also know that a single image in Photoshop can be manipulated to look as amazing as an HDR photo (more or less).

So I will never be able to leave the monastery of pedestrian photos because I will never be able to grab the stone from your hand....

:o

I think you take Kan Win the wrong way, Mark. He is not a gloater, merely trying to help others improve their skills. One doesn't need a D700 to make nice photos, just a good eye. And, at least on that photo, it seems that you do have a good eye :o

I think you take Kan Win the wrong way, Mark. He is not a gloater, merely trying to help others improve their skills. One doesn't need a D700 to make nice photos, just a good eye. And, at least on that photo, it seems that you do have a good eye :o

Objection your honor!

basically, I thin I understood the point you wished to make but,

if you would be right, there would be only cheap cameras, no "high end" ones like ..

It does make a BIG difference!

And if you had some "training" on the "art of photography" things would turn out much different!

The knowledge how to use all the features, exposure time/shutter speed, (quality of ) type of lenses....

and as in the picture from mark a tripod would help...or as the one from gordey...

the angle is wrong, it just doesn't look right, it's certainly no "effect" in it, that enhances the motive.

Edited by Samuian

Yes, it is only a "nice try." However, without being crafty at Photoshop (none was used) this is the nicest try I could achieve. Also remember that garbage in = garbage out, and these series of photos were shot with a poor-man's camera, not a Nikon D700 with a Canon EF 35mm lens, and with a camera hick's knowledge of settings.

If you really want to show me up, PM me your email and I will send you the separate images.

Remember, just to be fair, you have to use only Photomatrix software, as I did. When you blow me out of the water, please get a screen shot of the settings you used so I can see "how it's done."

Also, I am aware that HDR can be done in Photoshop, if you know what you are doing, which I don't. I also know that a single image in Photoshop can be manipulated to look as amazing as an HDR photo (more or less).

So I will never be able to leave the monastery of pedestrian photos because I will never be able to grab the stone from your hand....

:D

Thank you for your comment and your post in our Photo & Arts forum.

I have used Photomatrix software and found it not suitable for me due to 'yes' being too lazy to set up at tripod etc. take 3 to 10 shots to do a really good one. Hand held shots, for me only panos work. :o

Me Cameras are Oly E-3 (and Oly 8080 for panos) with standard lens, nothing special really.

As for 'Photoshop. sorry do not use it either and not into is and per my post

I also know that a single image in Photoshop can be manipulated to look as amazing as an HDR photo (more or less)

there are 'more ways to skin a cat' so they say :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Evaluate-Photo-t253956.html

Yours truly,

1. If you really want to show me up,

2. PM me your email and I will send you the separate images.

Remember, just to be fair, you have to use only Photomatrix software, as I did. :D

O.K. then it is a deal :D

1. No, I do not need to show you nor anyone else up, just trying to help members to achive their goal :D

2. Sure thing, go to 'my profile' page on this fourm and you will find a link to my web-page on Pbase or just 'Google' win13 and I am on top of that page. Kan Win BTW :o

One photo per message please. :D

Once there look up me 'profile' e-mail is there. Maybe you could take some time out and have a look around, as I only had, (These pages have been viewed a total of 653,981 times.) :jerk: sad really in it. :wai:

Yours truly,

Kan Win :P

Remember, just to be fair, you have to use only Photomatrix software, as I did. :D

O.K. then it is a deal :D

Thank you for your photos and as said only in 'Photomatrix software'.

Your 'The Whale under Stormy Skies' was too grainy for 'Photomatrix software' for me anyway (Kan not understand why your photos with an Oly 8080 set at ISO 50 where so grainy). :D

So I chose just one photo keeping in mind

Remember, just to be fair, you have to use only Photomatrix software, as I did.

post-3770-1240839976_thumb.jpg

So back to the topic at hand and thank you for you second sets of photos in .jpg the others where in Raw Oly 8080 ? :D

This came out much better, but sadly the plant leaves moved whilst you were taking the shot making it look like me photo not too long ago

medium.jpg

Anyway, to try and cut the story short (there are more ways to skin a cat) I used only one of your photos, then making a copy of it to produce this:

post-3770-1240841326_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1240841405_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1240841475_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1240841538_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1240841595_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1240841761_thumb.jpg

Remember that these are MY setting using 'Photomatrix software'.

Hope this helps you

Yours truly,

Kan Win :wai:

P.S. I use the KISS principle Keep It Simple S........................ :o

O.K. then it is a deal :wai:

Thank you for your photos and as said only in 'Photomatrix software'.

Your 'The Whale under Stormy Skies' was too grainy for 'Photomatrix software' for me anyway (Kan not understand why your photos with an Oly 8080 set at ISO 50 where so grainy). :D

So I chose just one photo keeping in mind

Remember, just to be fair, you have to use only Photomatrix software, as I did.

post-3770-1240839976_thumb.jpg

So back to the topic at hand and thank you for you second sets of photos in .jpg the others where in Raw Oly 8080 ? :D

This came out much better, but sadly the plant leaves moved whilst you were taking the shot making it look like me photo not too long ago

medium.jpg

Anyway, to try and cut the story short (there are more ways to skin a cat) I used only one of your photos, then making a copy of it to produce this:

post-3770-1240841326_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1240841405_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1240841475_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1240841538_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1240841595_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1240841761_thumb.jpg

Remember that these are MY setting using 'Photomatrix software'.

Hope this helps you

Yours truly,

Kan Win :P

P.S. I use the KISS principle Keep It Simple S........................ :o

Well done, Kan Win

:D

He is not a gloater...

Perhaps...

Anyway, I thought the photo was pretty cool, but apparently not as good as it would have been in the hands of Kan.

I will watch in the future what I post. Try and keep it point-and-shoot simple.

So pray tell us 'Mark Wolfe' what did you think of my effort with your photos ? Enlighten me, please :) Perhaps the 'cat got your tongue' so to say, hence not replies?

Only trying to help out fellow Members BTW. :D

Yours truly,

P.S. 'SamuiJens' cheers :D

I don't like cats...skinning them is a different matter....

I am not sure what you did with the one photo copied. Did you use the same photo several times then "blend" the different ways you set each one? I don't understand how in the lead up photos in the Photomatrix windows there is blurring of the plants, but in the final photo there is none. That baffles me.

I would also like to know the following: My photos See: Evaluate My Photos of the clouds and the wooden dock look more "defined" if that is the right word, after being fiddled with by others here. I have tried many different settings without being able to get this effect. There is more definition and contrast (brighter in the planks on the wood) and sharper. It almost appears that there has been some specific, directed burning or treatment in certain areas.

I am wondering what I can do to turn my photos into yours (pl). I downloaded Neat Image, but the other one mentioned by a poster in the other submission thread I couldn't find and it appeared to be something not for amateurs. Neat Image worked well with some single shot, large telephoto/low light shots, but I am not sure it is something that isn't included in Photomatrix in one of the sliders, the name of which escapes me right now.

I also have this thing going on where certain areas of photo are "burned" out. This is before I do anything other than load them into Photomatrix. You can see this in the clouds in this photo if you zoom. Sometimes it is a large area and not necessarily ultra-sunny. I have no clue what this is or why it happens.

Edited by Mark Wolfe

Mark Wolfe wrote:-

I don't like cats...skinning them is a different matter.... :D

I am not sure what you did with the one photo copied. Did you use the same photo several times then "blend" the different ways you set each one?

Yes, I use your No. 2 photo and made a single copy of it by re-naming it.

Now I have two photos which is require by Photomatrix to generate a HDR.

post-3770-1241610841_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1241610875_thumb.jpg

I don't understand how in the lead up photos in the Photomatrix windows there is blurring of the plants, but in

the final photo there is none. That baffles me.

After your good post, I reviewed what I did and Sorry for that and misleading you. Opps, I did my 'Print Screen'

using both of your photos 1&2 and then when I finished relised that the leaves where blurred and forgot to re-do the

'Print Screen' on the final cut, but the settings are as they where since I used them with only one photo.

I would also like to know the following: My photos See: Evaluate My Photos of the clouds and the wooden dock look more "defined" if that is the right word, after being fiddled with by others here.

We used different programs to do this as was mentioned in "The Vulcan" post and mine also.

I have tried many different settings without being able to get this effect. There is more definition and contrast (brighter in the planks on the wood) and sharper. It almost appears that there has been some specific, directed burning or treatment in certain areas.

I am wondering what I can do to turn my photos into yours (pl).

I use ACDSee 2.5 pro for my work, others use Photoshop etc.. I find ACDSee very easy to use btw.

I downloaded Neat Image, but the other one mentioned by a poster in the other submission thread I couldn't find and it appeared to be something not for amateurs. Neat Image worked well with some single shot, large telephoto/low light shots, but I am not sure it is something that isn't included in Photomatrix in one of the sliders, the name of which escapes me right now.

Try the sliders and please let me know if you find out. :D

I also have this thing going on where certain areas of photo are "burned" out. This is before I do anything other than load them into Photomatrix. You can see this in the clouds in this photo if you zoom. Sometimes it is a large area and not necessarily ultra-sunny. I have no clue what this is or why it happens.

I see your point. Perhaps post this qus. in our Photo & Art forum, maybe our Members could help you on that one.

Just did a little test using one photo and Photomatrix

Original that can be found

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Winner-t261925.html

post-3770-1241611646_thumb.jpg

and the one using Photomatrix

post-3770-1241611855_thumb.jpg

Yours truly,

P.S. and to all of you Samui folks sorry to take this thread slightly off topic. :)

Edited by Kan Win

• 4 weeks later...

Mark

Neat Image is adjustable to your taste. Basically you need to initially allow the software to establish its own finding. Then move the little square to a point of detail and see if it has clipped the detail. If so, adjust the sliders to correct this. This is the procedure I adopt.

Burning out in the highlights is over-exposure. If your camera is set to spot or centre weighted metering this can happen. Set it to evaluative to cover the whole area. Bear in mind the exposure latitude also. High contrast scenes need consideration as to were you expose. A general rule (with digital) is to expose for the highlights and there is invariably shadow detail that can be recovered. Digital has a far greater exposure latitude than film ever did, so bear this in mind.

The "snap" that you are missing is gamma/exposure adjustment. I achieve this using curves and needs some learning.

Now the good news. Forget Photoshop. Adobe Lightroom is the way to go. It's reasonably priced also.

L/R provides ALL the tools you'll ever need. Highlight recovery, "punch", selective exposure controls etc etc. And it's a Digital Management Programme to boot.

Turning to HDR. Photomatix is very good, and better than Photoshop but you do need to observe a few rules. Ideally use a tripod, take 5 and not 3 exposures. vary from the "norm' in 1 stop increments. Use the original "normal" shot as the blend master. Then experiment to your tast. In the latter respect there are no hard and fast rules.

Have a look at this site http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

http://tutorialblog.org/hdr-tutorials-roundup/

http://www.hdrsoft.com/resources/dri.html#dr

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...