Easy Visa Run?

1 hour ago, MajorTom said:

Those that had a "proper" one with work permit are not going to carry that around after its expired? Will they also get deported?

Those who had a 'proper' one (with or without a work permit) will be able to explain what they were doing as a volunteer, and I suspect will almost always be OK. However, even if the officials believe you, there is still a very small chance that they will still tell you "you have been in Thailand too long" and deny a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Also i have trouble understanding how your friend can be deported from Thailand to Cambodia with a US passport? Im not saying its BS, im just confused as i didn't think this was possible?

That is actually the standard procedure if you are denied entry. The airline that transported you to Thailand is responsible for removing you, if possible taking you back to your embarkation airport. If you are ineligible for entry at the originating airport (most often visa issues) the airline will then often try to return you to a country of which you are a national, because they know this will definitely be the end of their troubles with you. However, you can often negotiate with the airline representative to take you somewhere else where you can convince them you will be able to enter without trouble.

EDIT: Also, under international law, this does not qualify as 'deportation'. It is classed as an INAD (inadmissible person) and the rules are different. It only become deportation if you are allowed to enter the country and subsequently ordered to leave.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dart12 said:

Then Cambodia did the same to him (please don't ask me why Cambodia just followed suit as he was just there, I have the same questions, but I learned common sense doesn't come into play here with immigration),

Presumably your friend had a single-entry tourist visa for Cambodia that had been used when he had originally entered the country, and wouldn't allow reentering the country another time after being stamped out.

As visas on arrival were only just resumed last week, it's unclear to me if your friend already had the option to apply for one or not when sent back from Thailand. Immigration in Cambodia might also have some discretion in the case of persons deemed inadmissible elsewhere, and from what you wrote, they did seem to relent eventually. A payment might (or might not) have helped facilitate this reversal; it's Cambodia we're talking about after all.

There's also the potential issue of Covid regulations when being sent back. Same as with visas on arrival, Cambodia only just changed the rules last week (no more testing required).

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is actually the standard procedure if you are denied entry. The airline that transported you to Thailand is responsible for removing you, if possible taking you back to your embarkation airport. If you are ineligible for entry at the originating airport (most often visa issues) the airline will then often try to return you to a country of which you are a national, because they know this will definitely be the end of their troubles with you. However, you can often negotiate with the airline representative to take you somewhere else where you can convince them you will be able to enter without trouble.

EDIT: Also, under international law, this does not qualify as 'deportation'. It is classed as an INAD (inadmissible person) and the rules are different. It only become deportation if you are allowed to enter the country and subsequently ordered to leave.

I have a friend that was denied entry to Thailand a few years ago. Too many exempt stamps. (Why this happens to some while others are fine doing the same thing for decades is still a mystery and discussed in other threads)

Anyway: He was sent back to his passport country (Australia) at his own expense with no options whatsoever.

He wanted to go to Singapore to apply for a Tourist visa at the Thai embassy but was denied. The return flight actually had a stopover in Singapore. But he said the airline staff kept his passport, and it wasn't returned to him before he landed in Australia.

He then got a Tourist visa in Perth and returned to Thailand a few days later without any problems ????

3 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Ok. You mentioned Emergency passport. That might be a problem. Normally used to fly Point A to B and return in an emergency. Traveling between other countries where not a citizen is normally not accepted. I have some bad personal experience with this which i wont elaborate on right now..

Also i have trouble understanding how your friend can be deported from Thailand to Cambodia with a US passport? Im not saying its BS, im just confused as i didn't think this was possible?

As for being detained in Cambodia again: When exactly did this happen? You said last week. Before Thursday there was no visa on arrival in Cambodia. He would not even be allowed to board the plane he was deported on? I assume he didn't have time to apply for a Cambodian e-visa while staying 12 hours in "airport jail" in BKK?

this is My friends traveling partner that it happened to.

I"m told he was denied entry and forced to buy a ticket back to where he flew from (cambodia).

Cambodia then wanted to deport him to USA even though he was just there 24 hours prior.  Why? was my question too.

(See my original post where I state:  I have as many questions as you do.  I do not know the answers.

But I also recognize immigration makes zero sense on protocols in this country).

I'm good with just getting the gist of things from him.  I'm not a detective and I don't need all the deep info because I'm not in this specific situation.

I don't have the other info you ask about.

I, however, because of knowing the person I'm talking with, don't question if it happenned or not.  

It has him highly concerned for solutions his own return is our primary convo.

I would think he'd get a new passport as well, instead of an emergency one .  But he's done the research and knows the time frames more than me.  I'll mention this possible problem to him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

I have a friend that was denied entry to Thailand a few years ago. Too many exempt stamps. (Why this happens to some while others are fine doing the same thing for decades is still a mystery and discussed in other threads)

Anyway: He was sent back to his passport country (Australia) at his own expense with no options whatsoever.

He wanted to go to Singapore to apply for a Tourist visa at the Thai embassy but was denied. The return flight actually had a stopover in Singapore. But he said the airline staff kept his passport, and it wasn't returned to him before he landed in Australia.

He then got a Tourist visa in Perth and returned to Thailand a few days later without any problems ????

What I'm talking about.  No rhyme or reason.

5 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Visa on arrival

A visa on arrival is only for 15 days and only for those from certain counites after applying for it and paying the 2000 baht fee for it.

A visa exempt entry is for 30 days.

What did they actually have? What country are they from?

1 hour ago, MajorTom said:

Presumably, when he was refused entry on a visa exemption, he had not flown from Singapore, but from a country (perhaps Vietnam) where he would have been unable to enter if returned there. Under those circumstances, it varies very much depending on the airline representative, along with the complications in returning you to home country, whether the airline representative will negotiate another option with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa on arrival is only for 15 days and only for those from certain counites after applying for it and paying the 2000 baht fee for it.

A visa exempt entry is for 30 days.

What did they actually have? What country are they from?

I'm not sure.  This is a friends friend who he was doing a visa run with.

USA.

I'll tell you all how my friend fares when he attempts reentry.

Edited by Dart12

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Presumably, when he was refused entry on a visa exemption, he had not flown from Singapore, but from a country (perhaps Vietnam) where he would have been unable to enter if returned there. Under those circumstances, it varies very much depending on the airline representative, along with the complications in returning you to home country, whether the airline representative will negotiate another option with you.

He came in from Australia. Via Singapore

38 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

He came in from Australia. Via Singapore

He was returned to his embarkation airport, as per standard practice. It is very difficult to get the airline representative to agree anything else when the standard operating procedure is easy.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:24 PM, Dart12 said:

I'm not sure.  This is a friends friend who he was doing a visa run with.
USA.

Since he is from the US he qualifies to get a 30 day visa exempt entry. For some unknown reason they did want him to enter the country. They probably asked him to show financial proof (at least the equivalent of 20k baht in cash) and a ticket out of the country within 30 days.

I just asked the agency where I got my volunteering visa if it would cause any trouble with visa runs. They just told me there shouldn't be any problems if I get a tourist visa before arriving in thailand and if I fly to Phukket instead of Bangkok

12 minutes ago, Robbe said:

I just asked the agency where I got my volunteering visa if it would cause any trouble with visa runs. They just told me there shouldn't be any problems if I get a tourist visa before arriving in thailand and if I fly to Phukket instead of Bangkok

I keep reading posts about Phuket airport immigration supposed to be friendlier than BKK or DMK. But in my experience its exactly the opposite over the years. Maybe times have changed. Or maybe its just random luck at all points.