Quick visa run - can I use the same PCR Test that I take before leaving Thailand to return to Thailand?

Hi there,

I'm planning a quick visa run to Singapore later this month. I wonder if anyone might have an answer to the following question:

If I take a PCR test before leaving Thailand, and only stay in Singapore for around 24 hours, will I be required to get another PCR test in Singapore in order to return to Thailand? Or could I just use the same PCR test that I took in Thailand, seeing as it was taken less than 72 hours before my return trip to Thailand?

Would appreciate it if anyone has any thoughts...

As far as I'm aware you need a PCR test within 48 hours of departure to Singapore. As you may need 24 hours to get a result (?) and you say 24 hours in Singapore, that makes it a bit tight to use it back to BKK

From the Singapore safetravel website:

1. Pre-departure COVID-19 PCR or professionally administered ART taken within 2 days before departure for Singapore

https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/vtl/requirements-and-process

Edited by aussiexpat

Thanks - I think I should be able to manage it in terms of the timing, but just wondering about whether a PCR test from Thailand would be accepted by the Test & Go system and by the airline in Singapore...

Time-wise it's doable, but I don't know if anyone has actually tried this yet.

Showing a Thai Covid test result when arriving in Thailand would certainly raise some eyebrows. I don't know if it's acceptable, the rules might not be clear about this.

I doubt you'll get a conclusive answer, so the question is, are you willing to risk it? And is the airline that checks you in at Singapore Airport going to risk it?

Edited by Caldera

Thanks, that's a nice summary of the issues there. You're right that it would certainly be a risk especially if no one has done it before, or if there is no official Thai policy.

I did however find this link here from the Singaporean government explaining that the reverse situation would be accepted - i.e. if I was travelling out of Singapore for less than 48 hours, I could then return to Singapore using the same test that I took before leaving, without needing to get a new one in the second country. So that's making me wonder that Thailand may perhaps have a similar policy...

8 minutes ago, dafata said:

So that's making me wonder that Thailand may perhaps have a similar policy...

True, and if it exists, hopefully someone can dig it out and add it here.

Edited to add: It could also become relevant for land borders, now that the authorities are in the process of adding (some) land border crossings to Test & Go.

Edited by Caldera

There seems to be a number of threads on real quick turn around trips and I always wonder why the rush? I understand if you have been doing this every 2 or 3 months but since COVID most people have been in Thailand for a year or more.

Is it that you don't want to spend time away from girlfriend, family, job or just don't like spending time in another place?

Edited by biervoormij
spelling

Interesting topic, i was thinking about doing the same thing for cambodia.

Although as some mentioned it doesnt worth the risk. Yes, it has long time almost 3 days but think like this; covid test aim is to see you have it or not. So when you go to a new place or different place you might get it from there. So you need a new test to show you dont have it. If the thai immigration doesnt accept it, it makes lot sense. 

It's risky, as you need everything to go problem-free like clockwork...but I read someone in an FB group reported success doing that to Cambodia and back on the same day. If you guys want, I will find that the report and post it here. Let me know.

Edited by audaciousnomad

19 minutes ago, dafata said:

Yes, I'd appreciate that if you could find that report!

Here you go.  The risks I see for you is that Singapore may decide not to board you if your test was not done there. I am not surprised Thai Smile Cambodia staff just checks the date, not caring that the poster tested themselves from their previous origin earlier that day. If you know Singapore, you know they are very "by the book" when it comes to details like that. It would not surprise me at all if the airline staff in SIN would demand a PCR test  from a SIN test center. I wouldn't chance it unless you can find a report of someone who did it in Singapore...or unless you want to be the "test pilot" on that. ????   Also, this poster was not questioned by BKK immigration. Your own mileage may vary...because humans, not robots, are running the show. And if you haven't figured it out by now...humans are the best, and the worst. ???? ????

2069909970_ScreenShot2022-03-08at3_13_42PM.png.bb32dc0fe2cbdfb62b7c0780ad418e02.png

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Thanks 2