Government agencies ordered to pay ฿9.6bn compensation over Klong Dan project

snoop1130

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijMhwcg9UAcCXEq225wcFLqvQdqc8e.jpg

Thailand’s Pollution Control Department (PCD) and Finance Ministry have lost the legal fight to avoid paying 9.6 billion baht in compensation to a consortium of companies over the corruption-plagued Klong Dan waste water treatment project in Samut Prakan province.

On Monday, the Supreme Administrative Court overruled the Central Administrative Court’s decision to order a retrial of the case, during which an arbitration committee ruled in January 2011 that the government must compensate NVPSKG, a consortium of six companies responsible for building the treatment plant.

The court said that the application, by the PCD and the Finance Ministry, for a retrial of the case lacks new evidence, oral or documentary, to justify for a retrial. The court also ruled that the Finance Ministry is not a party to the legal conflict between the PCD and the consortium and, therefore, has no right to apply for a retrial.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/government-agencies-ordered-to-pay-9-6bn-compensation-over-klong-dan-project/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-03-08

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

This will be overturned much like the Hopewell saga.....

No it wont, this is the Asahavame family who control Samut Prakarn and have family members in the Govt. This will pave the way  for the return of the Godfather who has been on the lam for 20 years. Its a total sham.

• Thanks 1

The Thai govt seems to have a HUGE reluctance to pay its bills/court judgements to companies like the Hopewell saga and now the Klong Dan saga.   I have no doubt the govt will continue to drag its feet by trying every legal trick and delay tactic known to god and man in order to never pay these judgements.

17 minutes ago, Pib said:

The Thai govt seems to have a HUGE reluctance to pay its bills/court judgements to companies like the Hopewell saga and now the Klong Dan saga.   I have no doubt the govt will continue to drag its feet by trying every legal trick and delay tactic known to god and man in order to never pay these judgements.

The date of the arbitration ruling (2011) in the OP report indicates this one has been dragging along for more than 10 years already.

I'll put a wake up note in my calendar for another 10 years down the road.

The story behind this whole case is a textbook example of Thailand public corruption at its finest.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smutcakes said:

No it wont, this is the Asahavame family who control Samut Prakarn and have family members in the Govt. This will pave the way  for the return of the Godfather who has been on the lam for 20 years. Its a total sham.

If you say so, belief obviously is in the eye of the beholder and I don't agree with what you posted. Agree to disagree.....moving on.

Edited by ThailandRyan

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The court said that the application, by the PCD and the Finance Ministry, for a retrial of the case lacks new evidence, oral or documentary, to justify for a retrial.

There is a distinctive lack of creativity by those authorities and after 11 years, that's just plain lazy!

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Maybe they are dragging their feet so that the next 'freely elected government' (yeah, I know) , will be so out of money with this and other military purchases, the Army will be 'forced' to return due to a mismanaged economy  !

19 hours ago, smutcakes said:

It's not necessary the court overturn it's ruling. As indicated, if substantive "new evidence" is provided to the court, it can revisit its decision and possibly reverse itself.