Women in modern Thailand still face obstacles, discrimination in the workplace

webfact

screenshot_16988.jpg

By Natcha Patanasophon

Women still face significant social pressures and ongoing challenges when it comes to equality in Thailand, according to activists. But despite many obstacles, women continue to break through social inequalities and thrive through existing barriers of employment. 

“There’s limited space for women in leadership,” Darunee “Dada” told Thai Enquirer. “Our career advancement opportunities are limited.” 

The 27-year-old woman was rejected 17 times before landing her dream job as a civil engineer.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/38325/women-in-modern-thailand-still-face-obstacles-discrimination-in-the-workplace/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-03-09

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

7 minutes ago, DezLez said:

If the Photo they have used in the headline is meant to depict "typical" Tai women then no wonder they have trouble being accepted!

Ha!  Yep, which of those Civil Engineers would you hire to perform their dream job of designing and overseeing construction of your dream home? 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The 27-year-old woman was rejected 17 times before landing her dream job as a civil engineer.

You got your dream job at age 27.... did you expect it to be gifted to you at 18 with no experience?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

You got your dream job at age 27.... did you expect it to be gifted to you at 18 with no experience?

I think they are 22 here before they even graduate..... 

In many countries graduates drive taxis!  So she did okay. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I think they are 22 here before they even graduate..... 

In many countries graduates drive taxis!  So she did okay. 

Agreed she did okay, yet her comment that it came after 27 rejections she sounds a tad bemusing.

I didn't reach senior management level until my early 40's, I had to prove my ability to get the position, not beg for it.

• Like 1

I’ve frequently been directly involved in hiring engineers in Thailand, on too many occasions I have witnessed the outright expression of a preference for male applicants, particularly when recruiting new graduates.

This despite female applicants almost always presenting better GPA scores.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The photo looks like something from a Thai Mad Max movie.

Living in the Nana area I get a totally distorted view of the challenges faced by Thai females. It's the "caregiver" model. She says I "take care" of you and you "take care" of me. This only works as long as the glow of youth lasts; have to look beyond.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

27-year-old woman was rejected 17 times before landing her dream job

Women still face significant social pressures

feel less vulnerable because of sexism.

Nice mask, I have a dream job waiting, please apply. 

Screenshot_2022-03-09-09-45-02-51_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve frequently been directly involved in hiring engineers in Thailand, on too many occasions I have witnessed the outright expression of a preference for male applicants, particularly when recruiting new graduates.

Well, it works both ways, buddy.

You are talking about engineering, but in other fields, such as education, females are preferred. Not to mention in numerous other aspects of life, too.

I say get rid of the dowry at least, then we can talk about equal rights. Honestly, if they charge a dowry, they should be chained to the kitchen sink for a few years.

Can't have your cake and eat it. 

Edited by 2009
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Well, it works both ways, buddy.

You are talking about engineering, but in other fields, such as education, females are preferred. Not to mention in numerous other aspects of life, too.

I say get rid of the dowry at least, then we can talk about equal rights. Honestly, if they charge a dowry, they should be chained to the kitchen sink for a few years.

Can't have your cake and eat it. 

What brought you to Thailand I wonder?!

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How many male bank tellers have you encountered in Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How many female bank managers?

Quite a few.

As well as school directors, car showroom managers, immigration bosses, not to mention doctors, university lecturers, dentists, etc. etc.

How many female garbage collectors have you seen?

We could be here all day playing this game, buddy. Someone better get the beers in.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DezLez said:

If the Photo they have used in the headline is meant to depict "typical" Tai women then no wonder they have trouble being accepted!

Enough of your pearl clutching...........................

The photo is of the Russian feminist protest punk rock group Pussy Riot   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pussy_Riot

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

The photo is of the Russian feminist protest punk rock group Pussy Riot  

Looks like they've been spending a lot of time abroad by their suntans

Screenshot_2022-03-09-13-36-59-10_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg.36e54d4ff38f46c76b135a9d74ad5825.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST