Genuine vitamin supplements

superal

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I think a good way to look at it is "general parameters" not specific needs as we are all different and have different geaneology, diet and activity levels.

Its also true that those requirements are also effected by ageing too.

I think that food science is early days. Another 20 years we know more. Thats why youtubers are popular they test run ideas. Doctors are like 15 years behind with their guidelines.

Whatever the rda is I would say in many cases more is better from experience. Yes you can overdose but normally overdose levels are much higher.

I was reading up on Vitamin D lately, because of a discussion that ensued here on the forum relating to COVID.

I went to reputable health / medical websites, and found lists of foods rich in Vitamin D and what levels those provided. And given that I've been getting relatively little direct sun lately, a lot of those things I simply don't and/orwon't eat here in Thailand, and certainly not on a daily basis in the quantities that would be required to meet RDA.

"up to 50% of the world’s population may not get enough sun, and 40% of U.S. residents are deficient in vitamin D (1Trusted Source, 2Trusted Source).

This is partly because people spend more time indoors, wear sunblock outside, and eat a Western diet low in good sources of this vitamin."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-foods-high-in-vitamin-d

--salmon, poor quality, and if not, very expensive here. And farmed salmon, the most common here, provides a lot less Vit D than the wild caught varieties.

--cod liver oil, yuck....

--canned tuna, OK, but not one of my preferences

["Unfortunately, canned tuna contains methylmercury, a toxin found in many types of fish. If it builds up in your body, it can cause serious health problems"]

--egg yolks, I eat some

--mushrooms, not a fan of the varieties sold here

--Vitamin D fortified foods... not clear to me that Thailand typically fortifies foods as much as is done in the U.S..  for instance, the Thai fresh dairy brand I buy here has zero vitamin info as part of its nutrition label... just calories, fat, sugar, carbs, etc.

So, taking a daily multi vitamin solves all those issues, and doesn't force me to go out shopping for and buying a lot of food products I'd otherwise not buy.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

15 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Whatever the rda is I would say in many cases more is better from experience. Yes you can overdose but normally overdose levels are much higher.

No one's going to overdose taking a single standard multi-vitamin per day...

But where there is the potential for that, is when people go out and start buying and consuming large quantities of this or that individual supplement that some unqualified quack was promoting as a cure-all on social media.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No one's going to overdose taking a single standard multi-vitamin per day...

But where there is the potential for that, is when people go out and start buying and consuming large quantities of this or that individual supplement that some unqualified quack was promoting as a cure-all on social media.

The overdose amounts are obtained by google. Simply read the back of the pack for mg. 

Zinc rda 11gm. They say 40mg is getting too high yet 100mg is where problems have been found from studies. So there is margin there. Stomach pain and diarreha happen first.

Not seen any youtubers promote huge vitamin intake.

Edited by Sparktrader

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

an order of two, 200-tablet bottles of One-a-Day for Men's multi-vitamins that cost about $15 total on sale as part of a promotion including free shipping with Amazon Prime. Then paid about $20 for insured, regular mail shipping via my mail forwarding service to Thailand for a 1.5 lbs package.

iHerb:

21st Century, Sentry Senior, Multivitamin & Multimineral Supplement, Adults 50+, 265 Tablets
x 2 = B716, throw in a few other things to get the flat ฿135.00 shipping for orders ฿1,350.00+, cost of Sentry + shipping falls to B779.

Edited by BigStar

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2022 at 11:01 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On this subject, what's been people's experience lately with the mailing/Thai Customs process for buying online abroad and then having small packages ($30 or under valuation) mail forwarded here by regular mail? And how do you fill out the customs declaration in such cases?

"...the mailing/Thai Customs process for buying online abroad and then having small packages ($30 or under valuation) mail forwarded here by regular mail?"

$30 USD or under has to be the total on the receipt inside the package to avoid Thai Customs charges?

What is the official figure - 1,000 THB?

Edited by JimmyJ

11 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"...the mailing/Thai Customs process for buying online abroad and then having small packages ($30 or under valuation) mail forwarded here by regular mail?"

$30 USD or under has to be the total on the receipt inside the package to avoid Thai Customs charges?

What is the official figure - 1,000 THB?

100 USD  I believe

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/15/2022 at 9:11 PM, Hummin said:

And everything you mention, can easy be detected by taking a blood test to find out what you need. 

A lot of  Extremely expensive blood tests, which no one is going to do.

Your "easy" solution will cost much much more than purchasing the multi supplement.

Edited by JimmyJ

• 6 months later...
12 hours ago, Dario said:

Has anyone bought products from PipingRock and have them shipped via USPS? I would like to order Benfotiamine 300 mg.

Yes , I did my order from PipingRock about 9 months ago using the Lazada shopping site . Took about 10 days to arrive up here in Issan .

On 3/31/2023 at 9:31 AM, superal said:

Yes , I did my order from PipingRock about 9 months ago using the Lazada shopping site . Took about 10 days to arrive up here in Issan .

from Lazada? That must have been expensive. I just ordered straight from PipingRock. They sent with DHL, so I'm expecting to pay additional taxes and charges.

Edited by Dario

29 minutes ago, Dario said:

from Lazada? That must have been expensive. I just ordered straight from PipingRock. They sent with DHL, so I'm expecting to pay additional taxes and charges.

1475 baht including delivery but now out of stock from Lazada . What do you expect to pay ?

8 minutes ago, superal said:

1475 baht including delivery but now out of stock from Lazada . What do you expect to pay ?

I paid less than that for 2 bottles 300 mg 90 caps each. But: I'm expecting to be charged by DHL. I'll let you know.