Can people living anywhere file 90 Day Reports at Bangkok Immigration?

Reading up on 90 Day Reports online, an article stated that people living anywhere in Thailand can file their 90 Day Reports at Bangkok Immigration (including the 1st one).

Is this correct?

Also - The 90 Day Reports when done by mail require a copy of one's passport.

But a Bangkok agent told me that "filing in Bangkok is tricky" and made it sound like one's physical passport is needed.

I haven't been able to follow up and get an explanation thus far.

Does anyone understand what the agent may be referrring to?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

You file 90 report at immigration office where you live.

Regarding mail option, I do mine via mail from anywhere in Thailand. 

The mail (in my case) addressed to CW immigration.

If you were doing it in person it is done where you live. 

Sometimes read where is was done elsewhere successfully at different immigration office from where you live, however that's not usual. 

Your first 90 report cannot be done online.

Must be in person or via mail.

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

You report to the office where you got your extension.

I.e the office that covers the area where you live.

Why would you want to use Bangkok?

That may sometimes not be convenient for example if your away from the province were live visiting or touring the country. 

I often wonder what one would do with regard to the 90 day report in that situation. I understand it can be done online but sometimes that may not be working.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You file 90 report at immigration office where you live.

Regarding mail option, I do mine via mail from anywhere in Thailand. 

The mail (in my case) addressed to CW immigration.

If you were doing it in person it is done where you live. 

Sometimes read where is was done elsewhere successfully at different immigration office from where you live, however that's not usual. 

I went to the UK from Thailand for 3 weeks back in November and got back in December. I had to do my first 90 day report since returning a couple of weeks ago and decided to see if I could submit it online, knowing that in the past I have always had to do my first report in person. I submitted it online and it was successfully electronically submitted and I received final approval of the 90 day report by email after about 4 days, so maybe they have relaxed the "first 90 day report in person" rule. I've been at the same address for the last 4 years which may or may not influence the response.

• Like 2

Your 90 days notification (TM47) must be submitted to the Immigration Office (“cognizant”) which you reported your TM30 Notification of Residence.

In practice you can submit your online 90 days notification from any location you may be at the time. If you choose to submit your 90 days report by mail, you must send it to the cognizant Immigration Office. If you choose to submit the 90 days report in person it can only be accomplished at said cognizant Immigration Office. 
As I learned last October when I was vacationing in Koh Samui and visited the Immigration Office there, they first refused to take action due to the fact my current TM30 established my residence as being in Chiang Mai. 
Ultimately the Samui IO processed my 90 days report but only after they amended my TM30 record as now residing in Koh Samui. 
When I returned to my home in Chiang Mai I then went online and updated again my TM30 record as residing in Chiang Mai. In January I processed my 90 days report online without any problem. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Your 90 days notification (TM47) must be submitted to the Immigration Office (“cognizant”) which you reported your TM30 Notification of Residence.

In practice you can submit your online 90 days notification from any location you may be at the time. If you choose to submit your 90 days report by mail, you must send it to the cognizant Immigration Office. If you choose to submit the 90 days report in person it can only be accomplished at said cognizant Immigration Office. 
As I learned last October when I was vacationing in Koh Samui and visited the Immigration Office there, they first refused to take action due to the fact my current TM30 established my residence as being in Chiang Mai. 
Ultimately the Samui IO processed my 90 days report but only after they amended my TM30 record as now residing in Koh Samui. 
When I returned to my home in Chiang Mai I then went online and updated again my TM30 record as residing in Chiang Mai. In January I processed my 90 days report online without any problem. 

You did a change of address (TM30) in order to do your report at Samui.

You then did another change of address when you returned to CM.

Obviously next time you will use online or mail if away from where you live.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I just registered for the online 90-day reporting and almost immediately was approved for my account.  I logged into the website to check the username/password but I didn't see anywhere indicating my first report cannot be completed online.  When I was completing my first one year extension (Non-O, thai wife), the immigration officer pointed out the date for my first 90-day report.  I mentioned that I planned on completing it online....she only said, "ok, but sometimes it doesn't work".  

No questioning your post but I wasn't aware of such a rule on first time reporting.  Thanks.

• Like 2

I have read several reports of people successfully doing 90-day report by mail to Bangkok Immigration, although their extension was issued elsewhere, and their residence is not in Bangkok. I do not recall reports of doing it in person in Bangkok when not living there, but maybe that is possible too.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RickFarang said:

Now I've heard everything! A 90 day reports are not "tricky". Unless you are extremely busy there is no point in paying an agent for the simplest and most routine task related to immigration.

maybe he don't want to go to the immigration office. I got my first ever 90 day report coming up and I sure as hell ain't schlepping all the way out to CW if I can find an agent who'll do it for me for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

maybe he don't want to go to the immigration office. I got my first ever 90 day report coming up and I sure as hell ain't schlepping all the way out to CW if I can find an agent who'll do it for me for a reasonable price.

Doing it yourself online takes a few minutes, maybe 10 minutes if you are doing it the first time

2 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Doing it yourself online takes a few minutes, maybe 10 minutes if you are doing it the first time

I'm going off of what @DrJack54has advised, namely:

"Your first 90 report cannot be done online.

Must be in person or via mail."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

"Your first 90 report cannot be done online.

Must be in person or via mail."

Perhaps a misunderstanding.

When people obtain a non O both outside and inside of Thailand most often they follow that by obtaining an 12 month extension.

After that they will be making their "first 90 day report".

That "first report must be made either in person or via mail. 

In the past cannot be done via online system.

Now if the new whiz bang online system can accommodate first time reports then that's great. 

I'm unaware of that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have read several reports of people successfully doing 90-day report by mail to Bangkok Immigration, although their extension was issued elsewhere, and their residence is not in Bangkok. I do not recall reports of doing it in person in Bangkok when not living there, but maybe that is possible too.

Where one obtained their extension of stay is immaterial to where you must send or physically report your 90 days notification. The immigration office which is responsible for the address where you reported your notification of residence (TM30) is where one must report to in person or by mail. Doing the 90 days report online facilitates being able to report from anywhere you may be; however the address stipulated in your 90 days report must be the same as your TM30 or your 90 days notification may not be approved. That has been my experience for the last 11 years 

13 hours ago, RickFarang said:

Now I've heard everything! A 90 day reports are not "tricky". Unless you are extremely busy there is no point in paying an agent for the simplest and most routine task related to immigration.

Why pay an Agent when the fine is 2k for forgetting/not doing it.

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Why pay an Agent when the fine is 2k for forgetting/not doing it.

Most agents charge 500baht or less. 

However with online and mail in option I would find agent more of a trouble. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

However with online and mail in option I would find agent more of a trouble.

Also with an agent (I've done it once) your passport must be out of your hands for about a week-at least that was my experience. The risk is small but the anxiety for some of us can be great.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Enzian said:

The risk is small but the anxiety for some of us can be great

In Bangkok you would have it back same day or next.

I agree with you re pp out of your hands.

Think perhaps option for infirm folk but even then have mail and online option. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps a misunderstanding.

When people obtain a non O both outside and inside of Thailand most often they follow that by obtaining an 12 month extension.

After that they will be making their "first 90 day report".

That "first report must be made either in person or via mail. 

In the past cannot be done via online system.

Now if the new whiz bang online system can accommodate first time reports then that's great. 

I'm unaware of that. 

I'm in the situation you described. my first ever 90 day report is due on the 27th of March so I guess I'll find out in about a week if I can do it online or not. if not I'll happily pay an agent a few bucks to come and pick up my passport and do the report for me. 

do you have any agent recommendations for this (I'm in central Bangkok)?

Edited by Lemsta69

I very briefly  spoke again  to the (Bangkok) agent I mentioned in the OP and the agent stated that for 90 Day Reports submitted by mail Bangkok requires the physical passport included, not a copy.

(There's a possibility the agent was referring to the first Report only, although my impression was for all mail Reports).

Edited by JimmyJ

On 3/9/2022 at 2:42 PM, Aussieroaming said:

I went to the UK from Thailand for 3 weeks back in November and got back in December. I had to do my first 90 day report since returning a couple of weeks ago and decided to see if I could submit it online, knowing that in the past I have always had to do my first report in person. I submitted it online and it was successfully electronically submitted and I received final approval of the 90 day report by email after about 4 days, so maybe they have relaxed the "first 90 day report in person" rule. I've been at the same address for the last 4 years which may or may not influence the response.

"I had to do my first 90 day report since returning a couple of weeks ago...".

You had to do your 1st 90 Day Report ever?

Edited by JimmyJ

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I very briefly  spoke again  to the (Bangkok) agent I mentioned in the OP and the agent stated that for 90 Day Reports submitted by mail Bangkok requires the physical passport included, not a copy.

(There's a possibility the agent was referring to the first Report only, although my impression was for all mail Reports).

The agent is wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Immigration certainly does not require the original passport for mailed in reports.

This from the immigration website for mailed in reports. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/90days-report/

image.png.8ea6180d5d4c72d9d2a6535d51e01bf2.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I very briefly  spoke again  to the (Bangkok) agent I mentioned in the OP and the agent stated that for 90 Day Reports submitted by mail Bangkok requires the physical passport included, not a copy

The agent doesn't know what he is talking about.

If he gives this type of advise I would avoid him completely. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

If one enters Thailand Visa Exempt or SETV, then gets a non-O ($$$ in bank),

does the 90 Day Report count begin with the arrival date in Thailand or the date stamp in Passport of the non O?

A new 90 days starts from the day the new entry stamp showing the 90 day entry from the non-o visa is dated from.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I am quite sure the agent is mistaken. I suspect he has never submitted a 90-day report by mail in his life. My assumption is that the agent is Thai. One of the defects of the Thai character (not exclusively Thai, though) is giving definite advice on something you know nothing about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

If one enters Thailand Visa Exempt or SETV, then gets a non-O ($$$ in bank),

does the 90 Day Report count begin with the arrival date in Thailand or the date stamp in Passport of the non O?

An explicit 90-day report is not required for a while. The new Non Immigrant entry from the Non O visa resets the clock, and the first one-year extension of the Non Immigrant entry is treated as a 90-day report in addition to an extension. Thus, the first 90-day report is not actually necessary until 90 days after you receive the one-year extension.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:10 AM, jeffandgop said:

Where one obtained their extension of stay is immaterial to where you must send or physically report your 90 days notification. The immigration office which is responsible for the address where you reported your notification of residence (TM30) is where one must report to in person or by mail. Doing the 90 days report online facilitates being able to report from anywhere you may be; however the address stipulated in your 90 days report must be the same as your TM30 or your 90 days notification may not be approved. That has been my experience for the last 11 years 

Does that mean one could hypothetically live in one place (say, Udon) and do the tm30 and tm47s there, but go to a different place (say, Bangkok) once a year and get an extension, and then return? Or would you have to do a tm30 in the second place (Bangkok) before getting an extension, and then do another one when you return to Udon?