Bai Taang Daao

In applying for a home loan (dual-name with my wife) I have been asked by to provide a 'bai taang daao' in addition to the usual things you would expect such as work permit, income evidence etc.

The bank is unable to tell me what this is, or where I get it from. They say they just need it.

I heard 2 things about this, but not sure if they are accurate: 1) Its more for migrant workers such as labourers, factory workers 2) its the same as a residency certificate.

Can someone tell me what 'bai taang dao' is, where and how it is obtained.

Many thanks

In applying for a home loan (dual-name with my wife) I have been asked by to provide a 'bai taang daao' in addition to the usual things you would expect such as work permit, income evidence etc.

The bank is unable to tell me what this is, or where I get it from. They say they just need it.

I heard 2 things about this, but not sure if they are accurate: 1) Its more for migrant workers such as labourers, factory workers 2) its the same as a residency certificate.

Many thanks

It is a booklet given to those aliens with resident permit from the Immigration Department.

Many thanks

It is a booklet given to those aliens with resident permit from the Immigration Department.

Many thanks Irene. Strange that KBank demand this, whereas other banks do not. The loans officer himself said he had to deny every foreigner application because no-one has this document. What a surprise!

I'm with Krung Thai bank and they didn't require it. They did require passport & work permit details.

My recommendation: Go to immigration and get the document that states where you live. (Same one as you use for applying for a Thai driver's license) this is cheap and either they give it to you without verification of your address, or may require your current property owner to sign a statement saying that you rent there.

Then use that document. If they still make trouble at that time then ask them if they want to have you as a customer or not. Or you just switch bank, or bank branch. In our case we found some highly amusing differences between banks and even between particular bank branches; This Is Thailand and your mileage ALWAYS varies.

We applied with three different banks (Krung Thai, Bangkok Bank and SIam Commercial). In the particular branches where we went Siam Commercial was the most useless, Bangkok Bank was okay but still a little silly ("It would be easier if you got married" :o ) and Krung Thai were the only ones who always gave the impression to work WITH us rather than against us and generally had a 'let's make it happen' attitude. Again, that depends COMPLETELY on the bank branch, or perhaps even the individual person you deal with!!!

This is Thailand, NEVER forget that; the trivial may be made to seem impossible, the impossible may happen all by itself just like that. Just throw a few more lines & hooks out to different banks/branches and chances are one will bite.

Edited by chanchao