How is ubon and will it suit me?

drori8

Hi guys,

so i would like to know if ubon would match with my character as i have decided i would like to live there and read as well about the place as much as i could.

little bit about me :  almost 33 years old from israel. working from home (visa and all that stuff is sorted). i do like cities but not ones that are too big like bkk but not those with rather small pop like samui or the like. i was living before in chiang mai 7 years and can speak and understand thai fluently. i have no problem eating thai food/isaan food as i like it but saw there is everything you need in the city just like bkk ( i do plan to live in the city and not outside). are there beautiful appartments/condos in ubon? i have heard the prices are quite inexpensive?

p.s. - i'm not a big big fan of the nightlife anymore. been there done that and as im now getting older it is less appealing to me but i would like it to have some of it in case i want to go out once in a while. i understand they have tawan deng which is a franchise we had in chiang mai as well so nightlife side of things is covered pretty much and is not that so much important.

also, at what time does shops/bars/clubs close?

any additional information about the city will be welcome ????

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Nice small city. Quieter than CM. Pretty countryside more flat than CM. I want to go back myself. Has an airport too if u get bored go Bangkok.

that is intresting but maybe i miss something, how is it smaller then cm? it states cm have about 120k people but ubon almost 2 milion?

• Sad 1

Although the population number of Chiang Mai is set at 127,000 people, the accounted number only covers parts of Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, which is a small part of the inner city. When accounting for the entire city area defined by the local government, Chiang Mai has a population of 1.2 Million people

• Like 1

Aha, thank you guys for all the replies. sounds good till now i did look for place less touristy and crowded that have anything i need and it sounds it does.

any comment regarding the condos in ubon? how is the style? do they ask usually for 2 months dep like bkk or 1 month + rent is enough?

33 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Wish i was 33! Im 48. Ubon has decent nightlife. Old at 33 lol

didnt mean old physically but mentally if you would tell me now movie or club i would go with the movie compared to when i was 27-28

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Ubon wouldn't be my choice, and been there a few times.

Mostly flat & boring, except rice season, and the fields always look nice,

few rolling hills.  Also has the same smog problem of CM, as does most of Issan.

thank you it is always nice to read opinions even if they are bad. what you did state doesn't bother me much though but thank you ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drori8 said:

great help ty i will deff be MOVING to ubon. second thing not being a fan of nightlife does not contradict wanting to know when things open/close thanks for the 0 help from people like you as usual. luckily i have other ways thanks ????

Well if your "deff" moving there im sure it wont take you long to figure out what time the bars close lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I’m also super fluent in Thai.  You know what you do?  Ask Thais.  I ask my Thai friends about Thailand, not 90 year old bar lover.   Faring stuff, ask falangs.  My Thai friends know every city and way more than Billy who drinks Chang for breakfast.   Use Facebook, make Thai friends in Ubon.  Talk to them. Writing in Thai is way easier than falang abc

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is certainly not correct. In the center of Ubon city you might see some high readings. If not there there is enough wind to keep the air clear. It certainly is not the same as Chiang Mai city.

image.png.0313a74311472fd15438175386c9a4a2.png

My girlfriend lives in Ubon. She says pollution is not an issue. It is still super hot for 9 or 10 months of the year I think. Hot right now. I know you might not want a big city but I am just not sure what Ubon would have for a 33 year old unless you went there for a particular job. Nice place to visit but nothing to really make you want to stay except it is cheap. I would rather go to say the outskirts of Pattaya or something or maybe Phuket. Have some beach and life and some western shops when you feel like it but otherwise quiet and can still be cheap if that's an issue. 

Be interested why you want to be somewhere like that. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, drori8 said:

little bit about me :  almost 33 years old from israel. working from home (visa and all that stuff is sorted). i do like cities but not ones that are too big like bkk but not those with rather small pop like samui or the like. i was living before in chiang mai 7 years and can speak and understand thai fluently. i have no problem eating thai food/isaan food as i like it but saw there is everything you need in the city just like bkk ( i do plan to live in the city and not outside). are there beautiful appartments/condos in ubon? i have heard the prices are quite inexpensive?

I'd try Siem Reap in Cambodia, Garden Village Guest House is a huge gathering spot for Israeli backpackers who have just finished their military service. Or at least it was before COVID hit.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am 62, live in Ibon with a young family, go to work in Phuket or overseas occasionally and am very happy. 
if I were 33, nope. Different story. I’d be in KORAT or Phuket. 
mid Ibon is your final decision then great, look forward to having a beer with you in the Seven Seas. 

Good luck ???? o

13 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I’m also super fluent in Thai.  You know what you do?  Ask Thais.  I ask my Thai friends about Thailand, not 90 year old bar lover.   Faring stuff, ask falangs.  My Thai friends know every city and way more than Billy who drinks Chang for breakfast.   Use Facebook, make Thai friends in Ubon.  Talk to them. Writing in Thai is way easier than falang abc

well regarding farangs, i dont know a back story behind each and everyone of you i would imagine logically people who know will answer? but thats not always true on the internets i guess. i will do exactly what you said as well though was in my planning as well ????