How is ubon and will it suit me?

drori8

15 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

But it is not as developed as Udon Thani. Udon certainly has a large farang population and has pretty decent restaurants and night life these days. Plenty of girls, incuding from Laos (just check Tinder) if that is what you are after. 

Udon Thani to Ubon, about 400 kilometer.

Udon Thani is a better choice if you ask me!

Edited by Hummin

I only spent a month there. Downtown Ubon has a lovely neutron bomb feeling -not a lot of people or traffic about on average. Lots of the old 60's sun brick buildings still standing. The Ubon Hotel is a great example, and a lovely,  very slipshod place to stay.

Very friendly, but not a lot of English spoken compared to CM. If you've been to one Issan nightclub, you've been to them all. Literally -a lot of them are chains.

I plan to relocate there eventually, but agree that Khorat or Loei offer more. It's for Issan Thai-oholic culture fans like myself or someone with a GF from there. Otherwise, it's like deliberately choosing to live in Cincinnati.

I went here for the chicken and cashews and it was the best plate of such I ever ate:

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I should not be amazed that somebody who’s lived in Chiang Mai for seven years and before that Ko Samui would ask such questions if you’re thinking about moving there and you’re asking all these questions why don’t you just book a flight and go up there for a week or two and check it out before you move all your stuff or maybe you don’t have any stuff to move TIT

samui? i never said ive lived in samui. i am going to go there for a week or so doesn't cost me money to ask and get different opinions and nope got no stuff to move yet as im not in thai currently

7 minutes ago, drori8 said:

samui? i never said ive lived in samui. i am going to go there for a week or so doesn't cost me money to ask and get different opinions and nope got no stuff to move yet as im not in thai currently

Not sure, with few exceptions, most people here state things about all kinds of places that don't align with reality. So you are totally right to inform upfront, smart even, but better to get there yourself and check it out + form your own opinion based on your needs.

I personally was told all sort of things about CM prior to moving there, while there are 3-4 different expat worlds with likes and dislikes, if you heard from just 1-2 worlds you might form an opinion that is not relevant to your situation and dreams at all. Just as example.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I only spent a month there. Downtown Ubon has a lovely neutron bomb feeling -not a lot of people or traffic about on average. Lots of the old 60's sun brick buildings still standing. The Ubon Hotel is a great example, and a lovely,  very slipshod place to stay.

Very friendly, but not a lot of English spoken compared to CM. If you've been to one Issan nightclub, you've been to them all. Literally -a lot of them are chains.

I plan to relocate there eventually, but agree that Khorat or Loei offer more. It's for Issan Thai-oholic culture fans like myself or someone with a GF from there. Otherwise, it's like deliberately choosing to live in Cincinnati.

I went here for the chicken and cashews and it was the best plate of such I ever ate:

hi and thanks for your answers. i do agree that ubon is not for someone who does not speak the language i guess and deff not for someone to live if he came to thailand for first time. i was couple of times in isaan but not ubon. i do love thai food isaan songs like moalam and went to tawan deng sometimes in CM as it was prob the only source there of isaan/moalam style club/restaurant/bar. 

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Not sure, with few exceptions, most people here state things about all kinds of places that don't align with reality. So you are totally right to inform upfront, smart even, but better to get there yourself and check it out + form your own opinion based on your needs.

I personally was told all sort of things about CM prior to moving there, while there are 3-4 different expat worlds with likes and dislikes, if you heard from just 1-2 worlds you might form an opinion that is not relevant to your situation and dreams at all. Just as example.

aye well i do see now where your getting at. i never had an intention anyway to move without seeing it myself for a week and also im an organized person so i do want to have almost everything ready and waiting me when i move most importantly an appartment.

On 3/13/2022 at 8:54 AM, BritManToo said:

I'd try Siem Reap in Cambodia, Garden Village Guest House is a huge gathering spot for Israeli backpackers who have just finished their military service. Or at least it was before COVID hit.

Absolutely..... and the right place for him by the sounds of what he likes and is interested in.

Siem Reap he can meet like minded people, similar ages and interests and a laid back atmosphere as well as great WIFi connections and cheap decent accommodation.

At the Wrong Way Inn Bar, a sweet English speaking woman took me around to all the temples for 200 baht and later accompanied me to the meditation center out in the sticks. Worth a look in.

I've been to a few forest wats and this place was the most atmospheric and vibey:

https://www.watpahnanachat.org

Ajahn Chah (long dead) taught there. He is the only Thai-style Vipassana teacher that is known in the west, having taught both Jack Kornfeld and Joseph Goldstein -2 of the most popular US teachers.  

You can get his books/audiobooks on Amazon. He seems to be a bit better known among Thai's living in America than in Thailand. It's very much a homespun, direct meditation approach, as befits the place. He was anti-amulet for his own temple, so that prob has something to do with his lack of fame. Not too many Chah relics compared to other famous monks. He'd occasionally give his blessing for an amulet to other temples to fix their roofs.

I agree that Siem Reap would be a more pleasurable place to kill some time.

Edited by LaosLover

On 3/12/2022 at 8:44 AM, drori8 said:

great help ty i will deff be MOVING to ubon. second thing not being a fan of nightlife does not contradict wanting to know when things open/close thanks for the 0 help from people like you as usual. luckily i have other ways thanks ????

Got to expect that as you observe "as usual".

Par for the course on ASEANNOW Thailand forum.

In general lots of jerks on internet forums, you would need skim the layer off the top of this forum to get down to the percentage of trolls generally found on internet forums.

• Haha 1

Just the heat alone would do me in. I would look at Phuket around Ao Yong beach area looking across the bay to the lighthouse. Beautiful clean beach with not many tourists….now probably none….I rented a house on the beach for 12,000 baht. I would swim every morning and evening in very clean water. Being illuminated by the full moon across the bay was exquisite, and dramatic lightening and rain storms were fun. At your age you would have more options with the sea all around, and some pretty cool places off island to visit.

Hot, dry, and flat sounds like an early death to me. After Chiang Mai it would be edging towards boring…..unless you are trying to hide out. Good luck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Try Pattaya first, lots to do, no need to go to bars etc if you don't want to. I avoided Pattaya for 15 years, that was a mistake

lived in pattaya for some time when i was living a year in chonburi, dont like the place. 

5 hours ago, Mansell said:

Just the heat alone would do me in. I would look at Phuket around Ao Yong beach area looking across the bay to the lighthouse. Beautiful clean beach with not many tourists….now probably none….I rented a house on the beach for 12,000 baht. I would swim every morning and evening in very clean water. Being illuminated by the full moon across the bay was exquisite, and dramatic lightening and rain storms were fun. At your age you would have more options with the sea all around, and some pretty cool places off island to visit.

Hot, dry, and flat sounds like an early death to me. After Chiang Mai it would be edging towards boring…..unless you are trying to hide out. Good luck.

thanks for the different input. i'm living 10 minutes walk to the beach from my country giving it is not a beautiful water like in thai but still, im the type if i have the beach ill go if there isn't any beach/sea i dont mind ????

On 3/18/2022 at 4:59 AM, Wagga said:

Who's 'Billy' ?

That's everyone's friend, you dont know him? 

he's the old guy that is drinking all the time and knows everything about Thailand

I'm sure you've seen him. He wai's the security guard, the clerks at 7/11, etc come on you know him.

PS: dont tell anyone but he once told me he was a navy seal... but he cant talk about it. 

You sure you dont know him?