How is ubon and will it suit me?

drori8

13 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

My girlfriend lives in Ubon. She says pollution is not an issue. It is still super hot for 9 or 10 months of the year I think. Hot right now. I know you might not want a big city but I am just not sure what Ubon would have for a 33 year old unless you went there for a particular job. Nice place to visit but nothing to really make you want to stay except it is cheap. I would rather go to say the outskirts of Pattaya or something or maybe Phuket. Have some beach and life and some western shops when you feel like it but otherwise quiet and can still be cheap if that's an issue. 

Be interested why you want to be somewhere like that. 

well i have lived in thai for 7 years and came back july 2020 because of covid. i am planning on coming back 15/6 and have a ticket. i have stayed during the 7 years in pattaya which i didnt like, phuket and chiang mai which was my favourite but i do want a change and a fresh start. i understand ubon has everything that the other cities have to offer minus yea its less crowded less touristy and doesn't have a beach (which i dont care about). i just need me a normal city i aint coming to tour or sightseeing so couple of places for night life, restaurants banks etc etc. i understood that regarding western food there is enough although it is not an issue as i love thai food as well.

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd try Siem Reap in Cambodia, Garden Village Guest House is a huge gathering spot for Israeli backpackers who have just finished their military service. Or at least it was before COVID hit.

hi, thanks for the suggestion but is out of my way. first of all i wont give up thailand for cambodia and im not a backpacker or after army at the age of 33 ????

4 hours ago, Patriot said:

I am 62, live in Ibon with a young family, go to work in Phuket or overseas occasionally and am very happy. 
if I were 33, nope. Different story. I’d be in KORAT or Phuket. 
mid Ibon is your final decision then great, look forward to having a beer with you in the Seven Seas. 

Good luck ???? o

hi mate! it is after reading and hearing for the past week. ill deff give you a shoutout would be around july/august the latest ????

• Like 1

Not sure why you look so far away if you liked CM, long run that usually still ends up to be one of the better choices IMO. In another case there would still be Chiang Rai too or if picking Isaan, i'd recommend Udon thani as that right away gives easy access to Vientiane etc too. But nothing matches CM as a whole.

After all you usually need to fly out of town in those smaller destinations while you could also live a 20-30 minute motorbike or car ride out of a bigger city, which is usually much easier and you would still live kind of rural / peaceful.

Starting somewhere new is nice but in small places that never lasts long, one event and everyone knows / remembers soon enough (i'd consider CM relatively small).

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Not sure why you look so far away if you liked CM, long run that usually still ends up to be one of the better choices IMO. In another case there would still be Chiang Rai too or if picking Isaan, i'd recommend Udon thani as that right away gives easy access to Vientiane etc too. But nothing matches CM as a whole.

After all you usually need to fly out of town in those smaller destinations while you could also live a 20-30 minute motorbike or car ride out of a bigger city, which is usually much easier and you would still live kind of rural / peaceful.

Starting somewhere new is nice but in small places that never lasts long, one event and everyone knows / remembers soon enough (i'd consider CM relatively small).

I did make up my mind already but thank you very much for the insight. CM is a no for me, too many memories good and bad.

If you like long season with hot weather, heavy rain, and short cold "dry season" Ubon is perfect!

Enjoy

I would have Chosen Loei or Korat, and maybe Kanchanaburi if it was not for the burning season there.

Hua Hin is great to if you want it quiet, but still have options. Cha Am is even more boring, but you still have the sea breeze 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If you like long season with hot weather, heavy rain, and short cold "dry season" Ubon is perfect!

Enjoy

I would have Chosen Loei or Korat, and maybe Kanchanaburi if it was not for the burning season there.

Hua Hin is great to if you want it quiet, but still have options. Cha Am is even more boring, but you still have the sea breeze 

Hua Hin is busy. Loei? Whats it like?

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Hua Hin is busy. Loei? Whats it like?

Hua Hin have not been busy for years and I lived there since 2017 to 2020. Of course a bit more people in High season and some weekends, but over all.

Loei have everything you need, and if you like to take a drive with the car or motorbike you have nice small trips you can do in the neighborhood, also to Phu Tap Buek in Petchabun the neighboor province not so far away. Also Chiang Khan and if you do border crossing not so far to Vienna when that border opens again

I've been to Ubon quite a few times as my wife is from there.

It's quite quiet, but the more I go the more I find. Has a Central etc. Great eateries by the river.

I like the place down by the lake - Huay wang nong I think it's called. Nice cluster of bars to sit outside and just watch the world go by. Gets busier at the weekend, but nothing like Patts or BKK. Opens about 5 so nice for an early beer as the sun sets. Also watched premiership there.

We picked up a hire car at the airport(pre-arranged and cheap) for your stay if you just want to look around initially.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

I've been to Ubon quite a few times as my wife is from there.

It's quite quiet, but the more I go the more I find. Has a Central etc. Great eateries by the river.

I like the place down by the lake - Huay wang nong I think it's called. Nice cluster of bars to sit outside and just watch the world go by. Gets busier at the weekend, but nothing like Patts or BKK. Opens about 5 so nice for an early beer as the sun sets. Also watched premiership there.

We picked up a hire car at the airport(pre-arranged and cheap) for your stay if you just want to look around initially.

thank you very much for the detailed answer. really few places to hang out/banks/grab/food panda/markets is all i need everything looks a bit sleepy and not to trafficky which is what im looking for as well.

On 3/13/2022 at 11:43 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

My girlfriend lives in Ubon. She says pollution is not an issue. It is still super hot for 9 or 10 months of the year I think. Hot right now. I know you might not want a big city but I am just not sure what Ubon would have for a 33 year old unless you went there for a particular job. Nice place to visit but nothing to really make you want to stay except it is cheap. I would rather go to say the outskirts of Pattaya or something or maybe Phuket. Have some beach and life and some western shops when you feel like it but otherwise quiet and can still be cheap if that's an issue. 

Be interested why you want to be somewhere like that. 

Get away from the bs and the tourist junk. 

On 3/15/2022 at 8:48 PM, drori8 said:

thank you very much for the detailed answer. really few places to hang out/banks/grab/food panda/markets is all i need everything looks a bit sleepy and not to trafficky which is what im looking for as well.

Khong Jiam on the river is nice. About 30 mins from Ubon right on the border.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, Iamfalang said:

I’m also super fluent in Thai.  You know what you do?  Ask Thais.  I ask my Thai friends about Thailand, not 90 year old bar lover.   Faring stuff, ask falangs.  My Thai friends know every city and way more than Billy who drinks Chang for breakfast.   Use Facebook, make Thai friends in Ubon.  Talk to them. Writing in Thai is way easier than falang abc

Who's 'Billy' ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Get away from the bs and the tourist junk. 

I started with that thought but now I think I'll still want a fair bit of western stuff when I retire. Being in Ubon is nice for a while but unless you fully integrated as a Thai, which I don't intend to do, those other places are better to hopefully get the best of both.

$258 airfares return Melbourne Bangkok right now. Could be same for Sydney. 

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I started with that thought but now I think I'll still want a fair bit of western stuff when I retire. Being in Ubon is nice for a while but unless you fully integrated as a Thai, which I don't intend to do, those other places are better to hopefully get the best of both.

$258 airfares return Melbourne Bangkok right now. Could be same for Sydney. 

Which airlines

I should not be amazed that somebody who’s lived in Chiang Mai for seven years and before that Ko Samui would ask such questions if you’re thinking about moving there and you’re asking all these questions why don’t you just book a flight and go up there for a week or two and check it out before you move all your stuff or maybe you don’t have any stuff to move TIT

• Thanks 1

Loei is up near the Mekong River and near mountains and more natural country. If you like nature, it would be a better choice. 

But it is not as developed as Udon Thani. Udon certainly has a large farang population and has pretty decent restaurants and night life these days. Plenty of girls, incuding from Laos (just check Tinder) if that is what you are after. 

As others have suggested you should try for 6 months first. There are some nice condos going up near the lake. After 6 months you will have either met someone and settled down or will be sick of the place.

• Confused 1

Ubon had a vibrant nightlife left over from the Vietnam war and the US serviceman, there were some bars which lasted until a few years ago. See Saw was one I just got to see before it closed, great cafe. Wrong way bar is not bad good music selection.

There's a nice Pommy guy living in Ubon with his Thai wife ... Pookie I think her name is (forgot his name) but maybe look them up ...    (The Isaan Falang) in UTube and drop him a line. He seems to be a nice fella and helpful to those that message him. He can tell you all sorts of stuff about life in Ubon.