Transferring visa stamps to new passport

In my local immigration they did it while I waited. Less than an hour as I recall. I had no form from the British embassy and wasn't asked for one. They tried to charge me 400 or 500 Baht for it but when I asked for an official pink receipt they refunded it. ????

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not transfer visas.

The will do a stamp with spaces for info about your old passport and the visa used to enter the country that gave you the permit to stay you have been extending.

Thank you for that.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The information relating to your non O (visa) will be transfered.

In future dealings with immigration where photocopy of your non O (visa) is required you can photocopy the transfered info.

That will be placed in first pages of new pp.

Think it's also wise to keep your old passports. 

Thank you for that

20 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Your old PP is cancelled as soon as you receive your new one so best to do it ASAP

In saying that I waited around 3 weeks to transfer my stamp over last time ( couldn't be bothered to go to Immigration) and Immigration didn't say anything about the delay

Your old passport is cancelled and the corner clipped as soon as your application for a  new passport is accepted, not when you receive your new one. Your old one can then only be used for ID purposes

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, barnsleyman said:

Your old passport is cancelled and the corner clipped as soon as your application for a  new passport is accepted, not when you receive your new one. Your old one can then only be used for ID purposes

Not so @ Aus Embassy. I chose to retain my old passport until I picked up the newbie last month. Old passport was clipped upon pick-up of newbie.

I would hazard a guess that no passports are ever cancelled until new one is finalised.

No-one who is above board should ever, ever be in a position of not having a valid passport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Plus COVID vaccination certificate which also includes the OP's existing passport number?

Good call re Vax cert on Mor Pro.

Pretty sure banks also require updating.

I would personally wait for driv licence expiry....200 baht donation if Mr Plod got "clever"

21 hours ago, Daffy D said:

As an additional question.

Should the new passport be updated straight away or is it ok to wait until the annual visa renewal is due.  ?    

I have been informed (by Thailand Elite) that they won't issue new 90 day reports after passport renewal until the visa is transferred over to the new passport so that may be a motivating factor depending on how long is left until extension time.

However, when I got my new passport last year at the point when I transferred the entry / current extension stamp over to the new passport they issued me a new 90 day report (without me even asking) even though the visa had not yet been inserted.

It was a Thailand Elite visa which can only be inserted in Bangkok and I did the new passport stamp transfer in Hua Hin, after that I went all the way to Bangkok just to get a piece of paper inserted in my passport.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Not so @ Aus Embassy. I chose to retain my old passport until I picked up the newbie last month. Old passport was clipped upon pick-up of newbie.

I would hazard a guess that no passports are ever cancelled until new one is finalised.

No-one who is above board should ever, ever be in a position of not having a valid passport.

I don't know about renewing an Australian passport,  but when I gave them  my new UK passport application, they clipped the corner off and gave it back to me with the specific instructions that the old passport was cancelled and could only be used for ID purposes, and they said cannot leave the Country with my old passport.

On 3/13/2022 at 5:55 PM, DrJack54 said:

It's straight forward. 

It's a quick process. 

Should be zero charge. 

How long in total depends on your immigration office.

Dont forget to also do things such as update your details with your bank etc

All of it is the fiefdom of your local IMO.....Mine cost 500BT and took 10 minutes, stamp all in passport...

19 minutes ago, Xin Loi said:

All of it is the fiefdom of your local IMO.....Mine cost 500BT and took 10 minutes, stamp all in passport...

I feel your pain.

The charge is zero, however if I was in your situation I would fork over the 500baht

Some call us jellyfish.

I prefer to accept it and enjoy my life here.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, barnsleyman said:

I don't know about renewing an Australian passport,  but when I gave them  my new UK passport application, they clipped the corner off and gave it back to me with the specific instructions that the old passport was cancelled and could only be used for ID purposes, and they said cannot leave the Country with my old passport.

Wow Bloke that sounds completely bizarre. I am not doubting what you say but to have no passport and be told you can not leave the country just sounds so wrong on all levels.

Did you still have more than 6 months of validity on the old one?

Any other posters have any experience with their Embassies?

Cheers

5 hours ago, Speedhump said:

In my local immigration they did it while I waited. Less than an hour as I recall. I had no form from the British embassy and wasn't asked for one. They tried to charge me 400 or 500 Baht for it but when I asked for an official pink receipt they refunded it. ????

Congratulations you challenged immigration over a 500 baht spurious charge.

That's a huge win. 

Hopefully more will follow your courageous front. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Congratulations you challenged immigration over a 500 baht spurious charge.

That's a huge win. 

Hopefully more will follow your courageous front. 

You clearly enjoy being stiffed, right? I'll never get over the people like you that often post comments bragging that not being cheated is below their dignity. You light your cigars with 500 baht notes, don't you? You know Thais laugh at you while stealing your money, don't you? ????

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

You clearly enjoy being stiffed, right? I'll never get over the people like you that often post comments bragging that not being cheated is below their dignity. You light your cigars with 500 baht notes, don't you? You know Thais laugh at you while stealing your money, don't you? ????

I deal with CW. 

There is no charge for stamp transfer.

By all means, stick to your guns.

A residence certificate at CW is 200 baht.

At some offices much more.

At some it's free. 

I go with the flow. 

Happy you saved 400baht. Good win for you. 

How much do you pay to enter national parks? 

200 baht or you ask for receipt.

Edited by DrJack54

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I deal with CW. 

There is no charge for stamp transfer.

By all means, stick to your guns.

A residence certificate at CW is 200 baht.

At some offices much more.

At some it's free. 

I go with the flow. 

Happy you saved 400baht. Good win for you. 

How much do you pay to enter national parks? 

200 baht or you ask for receipt.

Dual pricing is an entirely separate matter from immigration offices charging for things which should be free, and there's nothing anyone can do about dual pricing. So that's a very poor comparison. Anyway, I'm so happy for you that you have more money than you know what to do with. 

5 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Dual pricing is an entirely separate matter from immigration offices charging for things which should be free, and there's nothing anyone can do about dual pricing. So that's a very poor comparison. Anyway, I'm so happy for you that you have more money than you know what to do with. 

Please stick to the topic.

Transfer of stamps should incur zero charge 

At some immigration offices they will impose a "service charge".

End of story.

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Please stick to the topic.

Transfer of stamps should incur zero charge 

At some immigration offices they will impose a "service charge".

End of story.

Eh? It was you that started babbling about national parks. Something wrong with you, old son.

There is no service charge, so I don't pay it. That's the end of the story. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

There is no service charge, so I don't pay it. That's the end of the story

As I have stated several times.

Transfer of stamps is done without charge.

Some immigration offices do charge.

Which part don't you understand. 

Did you even read the thread.

Here is one post....

"All of it is the fiefdom of your local IMO.....Mine cost 500BT and took 10 minutes, stamp all in passport..."

Time for ignore. 

Edited by DrJack54

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As I have stated several times.

Transfer of stamps is done without charge.

Some immigration offices do charge.

Which part don't you understand. 

Did you even read the thread.

Here is one post....

"All of it is the fiefdom of your local IMO.....Mine cost 500BT and took 10 minutes, stamp all in passport..."

Time for ignore. 

Wrong attitude. It is not a fiefdom it's a tentacle of a larger beast. There is (or was last time I looked) a colourful official government poster on the wall of the IO I use with a phone number to report IO fraud and corruption. Yes, if your happy by all means ignore something which can actually actually be combatted (for once). I'm really not bothered if idiots ignore me, I'm putting a message out to others.

The electronic questionnaire on the IO desks a few years ago had as their last question: 'have you been asked for a bribe by the immigration officer' or something to that effect! It's a problem that the department wants to stamp out, and people knowingly putting their hand in their pocket saying 'I don't care' does not help. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I use with a phone number to report IO fraud and corruption.

How does that work for you when, for example you require a residence certificate and your immigration office wants to charge you.

See how it works out for you, example at Mueang Thong Thani where you pay 200baht.

Or many other offices that have a "service fee". 

It's a free service BTW.

50 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How does that work for you when, for example you require a residence certificate and your immigration office wants to charge you.

See how it works out for you, example at Mueang Thong Thani where you pay 200baht.

Or many other offices that have a "service fee". 

It's a free service BTW.

I stayed in my first post what I did. I paid, got what I needed, and then demanded the receipt that they MUST give when they return your completed documents. If they refuse to give it then report the office and the IO themselves. If they give you the receipt after a free service, then do the same with physical proof of the corruption (after checking the receipt doesn't say in Thai: 'oil change'... that was a joke). 

Oh, I thought I was on /ignore. ????

12 hours ago, barnsleyman said:

and gave it back to me with the specific instructions that the old passport was cancelled and could only be used for ID purposes, and they said cannot leave the Country with my old passport

Perhaps a misunderstanding.

You can travel internationally with both passports in your possession if for example the reentry permit in old pp has not been transferred..

13 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Wow Bloke that sounds completely bizarre. I am not doubting what you say but to have no passport and be told you can not leave the country just sounds so wrong on all levels.

Did you still have more than 6 months of validity on the old one?

Any other posters have any experience with their Embassies?

Cheers

yes I had 9 Months left on my passport, which they added to my new one, making it 10 yrs. & 9 Months

1 minute ago, barnsleyman said:

yes I had 9 Months left on my passport, which they added to my new one, making it 10 yrs. & 9 Months

It must be a few years since you renewed your passport. They don't do that any more, and as someone has already posted, VFS don't clip the corner off your old passport until you go to collect the new one.

2 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

It must be a few years since you renewed your passport. They don't do that any more, and as someone has already posted, VFS don't clip the corner off your old passport until you go to collect the new one.

Yes it was a few yrs. ago, November 2017