Covid-19 visa extensions ending

6 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

My feeling is  it will be extended one more time then borders will be reopened.

I agree with you and Red Army.

The 25th has crept up.

Land borders still closed.

Thinking one more should see it out. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

I went around 4 visa shops in Pattaya last week to enquire about a retirement visa. I asked them all if they thought the COVID extension would happen again, they all said yes. Obviously just their thoughts and definitely not official.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Happened. My jobless friend just got 60 days extension from March 25 on a tourist visa. MTT.

Firstly if he had a tourist visa he would have obtained covid extension at CW.

Think you mean visa exempt entry. 

If it was his first extension he would be made to obtain standard 30 day extension to his visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 1:10 PM, RedArmy said:

Very likely to be further extended untill 25th May as land borders are still not open.

This is a very common argument. What I have been totally unable to find is any evidence that Covid extensions were created to provide an alternative for those who would otherwise extend their stays in Thailand by using border bounces. Can you cite any source that indicates that this is the objective of the Covid extension? If it is, why does the government not just say that Covid extensions will be discontinued once land borders are open?

• Like 1

I can't cite anything brother & personally, i couldn't care less if they continue or not.

But if they do, i will be pleased for the people that really depend on them ..... I received a CE on Thursday but only for convenience as i am not currently living in the area that i will eventually try to call home - I put money in the bank in October for the purpose of acquiring a Non 0 Visa & subsequent Retirement extensions - I bought some time which allowed me to chill & enjoy a super extended holiday.

Whether CE continue or not, my next visit to Immigration will be in June for a Non 0 90 days Visa.

31 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Can you cite any source that indicates that this is the objective of the Covid extension?

Don't need to.

What was put into the gazette didn't provide exact reasons for obtaining covid extension.

As your aware some modifications were introduced on Jan 26 to exclude those that entered on non O.

We will see by the end of next week.

IMO covid extensions will continue.

And the reason why?......take a stab.

Edited by DrJack54

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

IMO covid extensions will continue.

And the reason why?......take a stab.

If Covid extensions are continued, it will be because forces win that are pressing to allow continued easy extensions for economic reasons. If they are discontinued, it will be a win for those arguing that foreigners can now easily return to their home countries, and it is time to return to normal immigration rules. Similar are the arguments between those wanting to remove all Covid controls (at the border and otherwise) for economic reasons, and those arguing for continued public health measures.

My own opinion is that public health measures should remain strict (stricter than now) until much more effective treatments are available to prevent hospitalisation, death and long Covid. I also think that almost all foreigners should be able to get indefinite extensions on demand as long as the current clear economic benefits of this remain. I believe there is a strong xenophobic element in high places in Thailand who want Covid extensions gone for emotional, not rational, reasons.

41 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I also think that almost all foreigners should be able to get indefinite extensions on demand as long as the current clear economic benefits of this remain.

I always was of the opinion that BritTim is a sensible guy.

As stated earlier I think one more "grace period"(CE)  will see out the necessity for covid extensions.

Perhaps egg on my face if not continued after 25 next week.

Crazy imo if not continued. 

I went this thursday --I arrived after lunch..and the VOl dude told me the same thing and basically ruined my day-------I said Im here so im going to try anyway..

The guy that checked your paperwork said i was GOOD to get my 2nd covid ext

so the 2st Vol dude was incorrect and needs to go home and get his facts right

I then went to the first "station" to get processed and the IMM  officer said come back tomorrow aka Friday...as I came thursday expecting this BS...as closed on the weekend and ext exps march 20.......I always give space for this IMM nonsense..

So back again friday(yest) and go to first window--check paperwork again..

I get there before lunch as the IO asked...SO what do they say??  Come back after 1pm.......naturally   thainess 101...............go run errands...etc.....come back after 1pm

I was #80  waited a bit---take pic--wait more---and as usual and creating more work for everyone i got the 15 days...pending--whatever--I expected this...yawn

So back again!!! on April 1...where they will likely all jump out and yell April Fools..

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I really , really don't think they will continue COVID extensions now after March 25th for the mentions reasoned below

1) Many countries have now completely got rid of their covid restriction or nearly all of them e.g United Kingdom

2) Land border between Thailand and Malaysia reopning April 1st

3) The last COVID extension had much stricter rules applied, only tourist visa could apply and they were implicitly this is probably the last chance to get an extension

4) Easier to fly to cambodia and other countries now to get a new visa

5) No PCR test required before coming to Thailand

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

The last COVID extension had much stricter rules applied, only tourist visa could apply and they were implicitly this is probably the last chance to get an extension

First up you make some valid points.

Small note that along with tourist visas visa exempt entries could also obtain covid extensions.

Visa runs are certainly not simple currently. 

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

This is another subject worthy of discussion, I think. Will removal of most border controls mean that Covid extensions cease to be economically favourable for Thailand? For many people, the availability of extensions on demand creates a situation where inertia keeps people here. Once they are forced to leave, a large number will not return (or, at least, will not return for a significant time). Those dreaming of 30 to 40 million arrivals of foreigners a year in Thailand are delusional in my view. Maximising the length of time foreigners remain needs to be an important part of propping up the hotel/hospitality sector.

I agree. Even with new arrivals who are bona fide tourists, the availability of Covid extensions has been a factor in the sense that it might be worth jumping through the hoops if extending the stay with ease remains to be an option. Once Thailand removes this incentive, even fewer people might be willing to come.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I agree. Even with new arrivals who are bona fide tourists, the availability of Covid extensions has been a factor in the sense that it might be worth jumping through the hoops if extending the stay with ease remains to be an option. Once Thailand removes this incentive, even fewer people might be willing to come.

100% on the money.

Granted my experience (like most) is based on small sample space.

I have dealt with several groups of tourists and in chats have found that all were aware of covid extensions and this was a critical factor in their decision to travel to Thailand.

One couple I met on Koh Samet came on visa exempt. 

They were well aware of ability to obtain 30 day extension and then a further covid extension.

They come every year, usually on TV. 

Their tv this recent trip was taking time in USA so they just arrived visa exempt.

Point of the story is that they would not have come if CE not available.

Other folk I have met have similar story. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Firstly if he had a tourist visa he would have obtained covid extension at CW.

Think you mean visa exempt entry. 

If it was his first extension he would be made to obtain standard 30 day extension to his visa exempt entry.

No, he did a border run just before Covid, between jobs, cancelled work permit. Lucky he came in on a tourist visa! Hope they'll keep Covid extensions for the many who lost their jobs.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

100% on the money.

Granted my experience (like most) is based on small sample space.

I have dealt with several groups of tourists and in chats have found that all were aware of covid extensions and this was a critical factor in their decision to travel to Thailand.

One couple I met on Koh Samet came on visa exempt. 

They were well aware of ability to obtain 30 day extension and then a further covid extension.

They come every year, usually on TV. 

Their tv this recent trip was taking time in USA so they just arrived visa exempt.

Point of the story is that they would not have come if CE not available.

Other folk I have met have similar story. 

Jack, can't tell which way you lean on this. I'm for erring on the side of compassion even if we have to put up with a few dodgers.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:39 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

Happened. My jobless friend just got 60 days extension from March 25 on a tourist visa. MTT.

That was date of supposedly the last extension so it ain't happened yet so don't give people false hopes or false info

On 3/19/2022 at 8:58 PM, ESLTeacher1989 said:

I really , really don't think they will continue COVID extensions now after March 25th ..... 

5) No PCR test required before coming to Thailand

Is this true about PCR test not required...? From any country...?