Getting an "O-A" Visa

I had an O-A Visa for more than 10 years. I left Thailand on November 2021 and, due to travel problems (testing positive to Covid) and other issues), I did not return to Thailand until late February 2022. My O-A visa expired in late December 2021. As I expected to be gone for more than 1 month, I did not purchase the re-entry permit before I left Thailand. I entered Thailand on a "visa exempt" 30 day permit. Can I now convert my visa exempt 30 day permit into an O-A visa without leaving Thailand? I have the required money (B800,000) in a Thai bank account for more than 3 months. I need the required health insurance. Any suggestions on a good value insurance provider would also be appreciated (I am 70+ yo).  My 30 day permit expires next week; I assume that it can be renewed at least once for an additional 30 days. Thanks for any help. TL 

Edited by Thailaw

You cannot apply for a OA visa while in the country.

You can apply for a non-o visa at immigration and then during the last 30 days you the 90 days the non-o visa will allow you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

To apply for the non-o visa the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply and the for 2 months on the day you apply for the one year extension.

There is not insurance requirements to apply for the non-o visa or the extension of stay.

You will need at least 15 days remaining on the 30 day extension of your 30 day visa exempt entry to apply for the non-o visa.

59 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot apply for a OA visa while in the country.

You can apply for a non-o visa at immigration and then during the last 30 days you the 90 days the non-o visa will allow you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

To apply for the non-o visa the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply and the for 2 months on the day you apply for the one year extension.

There is not insurance requirements to apply for the non-o visa or the extension of stay.

You will need at least 15 days remaining on the 30 day extension of your 30 day visa exempt entry to apply for the non-o visa.

Thanks very much for the quick reply. If I understand what you have said, I have about 12 days left for my current visa exempt entry, so I will need to apply for an extension of the 30 day visa exempt entry (I should have done that immediately on arrival), and then apply for the non-O visa with at least 15 days remaining for the extension. Correct? Are you sure about the lack of an insurance requirement? I have read in several places that US$50,000 insurance is now required for the retirement (non-O) visa. Before I left Thailand, I checked with immigration in Jomtien, and I was told that the retirement visa (perhaps they meant OA, not non-O) now requires health insurance. Thanks for clarifying this. 

11 minutes ago, Thailaw said:

Thanks very much for the quick reply. If I understand what you have said, I have about 12 days left for my current visa exempt entry, so I will need to apply for an extension of the 30 day visa exempt entry (I should have done that immediately on arrival), and then apply for the non-O visa with at least 15 days remaining for the extension. Correct? Are you sure about the lack of an insurance requirement? I have read in several places that US$50,000 insurance is now required for the retirement (non-O) visa. Before I left Thailand, I checked with immigration in Jomtien, and I was told that the retirement visa (perhaps they meant OA, not non-O) now requires health insurance. Thanks for clarifying this. 

At most offices you could apply for the 30 day extension and the non-o visa during the same trip to immigration.

Requirements for the non-o  visa is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

There is no insurance required for a non-o visa or the extension of the entry from one based upon retirement.

It is only needed to apply for a Non-OA visa or the extension of the entry from one.

Apparently a mix up of the types of visas used to enter the country.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

At most offices you could apply for the 30 day extension and the non-o visa during the same trip to immigration.

Requirements for the non-o  visa is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

There is no insurance required for a non-o visa or the extension of the entry from one based upon retirement.

It is only needed to apply for a Non-OA visa or the extension of the entry from one.

Apparently a mix up of the types of visas used to enter the country.

Thanks very much for the answer. As I recall (after you refreshed my memory), I did the same thing when I first applied for the non-O visa, as immigration started the 1 year for the Non-O visa 30 days after the application for the extension, applying the extension first before the 1 year for the non-O started. I will look at the requirements for the non-O visa, which if insurance is not required, I can satisfy presently, as I maintain an account with a balance of B800,000+ solely for the purpose of visa extension. My concern had been health insurance, which, at my age is an "unnecessary" waste. Thanks very much; you have been extremely helpful in clarifying these points/issues (and saving me several trips to immigration in Jomtien)????

9 minutes ago, Thailaw said:

My concern had been health insurance, which, at my age is an "unnecessary" waste

You have clear pathway as outlined by uj.

FWIW...obtaining a non O retirement and extensions will be better than the non O-A path.

Just keep in mind that to exit Thailand and reenter you would need to purchase a reentry permit. Can obtain at immigration or airport.

1000 b single and 3800 multiple. 

45 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You have clear pathway as outlined by uj.

FWIW...obtaining a non O retirement and extensions will be better than the non O-A path.

Just keep in mind that to exit Thailand and reenter you would need to purchase a reentry permit. Can obtain at immigration or airport.

1000 b single and 3800 multiple. 

Thanks, and noted. As I said, I have had a non-O visa (mistakenly referred to as an "O-A Visa", the requirements for which (non-O-A) are clearly more onerous (are there any benefits over a non-O visa?) for more than 10 years.  I always purchase the multiple re-entry permit along with the non-O visa renewal to avoid the need to get it every time I leave, which prior to Covid was frequently.  My visa was going to expire in about 1 month when I left Thailand, so I decided to re-apply for the retirement visa when I returned rather than get the re-entry permit. The process and requirements for the renewal and the original application are almost the same as I see it. Given that I was gone for 3+ months and my non-O visa expired in the middle of that time outside Thailand, I am not sure what I could have done to continue my non-O visa, but if this happens again, I will certainly consider trying to extend my existing non-O visa until I return. In any event, I think I now have a clear and relatively easy path to get a new non-O visa later this week or early next week. 

• Like 1