Online Tax Service that allows you to enter a foreign address?

Has anyone used a FREE Online Tax Service for their 2021 taxes that allows you to enter a foreign address? I DO NOT want to use Intuit's service, as their "free" service always ends up costing me at least U$50.

Update: Used the IRS Free File Online Lookup Tool: https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/results/ and the only one that came up was TaxSlayer.

If this is in the wrong section please move. I searched and couldn't find a previous thread - please post link if there's one already. TIA!

Edited by djeetyet

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I have used OLT.com the last two years and very happy with it.  No charge except for state returns.  

I will have to check them out. I used FreeTaxUSA and downloaded the completed Federal forms, and modified my address in a PDF editor. I was a bit annoyed with FreeTaxUSA that you can't e-file your Fed return until you complete a State return - for which they charge you $. 

What about OLT.com? Did you e-file with them? How did it go?

20 minutes ago, djeetyet said:

I will have to check them out. I used FreeTaxUSA and downloaded the completed Federal forms, and modified my address in a PDF editor. I was a bit annoyed with FreeTaxUSA that you can't e-file your Fed return until you complete a State return - for which they charge you $. 

What about OLT.com? Did you e-file with them? How did it go?

E-file last two years with no issues (refund received Feb 2 this year) - tried Turbo two years ago and they claimed unable to e-file (after payment) but would not say why - changed to OLT same day and had no issues.  No need to file a state tax (my state does no have in any case).  

On 3/17/2022 at 9:44 PM, djeetyet said:

Not true. I was able to go around State Tax filing and do Federal only. No fee.

I don't remember excatly what I did but I played around with State Tax info and then deleted it.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, GypsyT said:

Not true. I was able to go around State Tax filing and do Federal only. No fee.

I don't remember excatly what I did but I played around with State Tax info and then deleted it.

Interesting you were able to do this. Maybe next year you can note how you managed to finish the Federal part and download the 1040 forms you needed, without doing a State tax return and not having to pay any $. Please post back to this thread!

I have used TurboTax for the last eight or so years and have always used my Thai mailing address and have never filed any state income tax forms despite using a US address for a bank account and a brokerage account I have (my brother's US address). I always skip the state tax part of the TurboTax form. I think you need a credit card with an American billing address if you use a credit card.

7 minutes ago, khaepmu said:

I always skip the state tax part of the TurboTax form. I think you need a credit card with an American billing address if you use a credit card.

Indeed you do - even if your address is foreign.  And expect months of reminders next year if you decide not to use them (and no easy way to opt out).

On 3/16/2022 at 5:34 AM, djeetyet said:

Has anyone used a FREE Online Tax Service for their 2021 taxes that allows you to enter a foreign address?

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/home/createaccount.php

Free site by IRS and OLT.

No income limit.

Very basic. Do your own maths.

Add forms as needed. If you do not find the forms you need then you can't use this site.

Foreign address accepted. No US phone number required. I use an inactive phone number and opted to receive log in security code via e-mail.

Screenshot 2022-03-30 091648.jpg

• Like 1

I use a Thai address and completed my tax forms in early January using OLT and filed electronically before the IRS was actually accepting filings.  OLT held it until the IRS started processing e-filed returns and sent me an acknowledgement via e-mail.  I had no taxable income so nothing due or refunded.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 8:03 PM, gamb00ler said:

I use a Thai address and completed my tax forms in early January using OLT and filed electronically before the IRS was actually accepting filings.  OLT held it until the IRS started processing e-filed returns and sent me an acknowledgement via e-mail.  I had no taxable income so nothing due or refunded.

Do you need a working US phone number?I would not want to keep a US phone number just for this.

I can't file early. Statements from brokerage accounts may not be available until mid-Feb.

Edited by Thailand J

30 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Do you need a working US phone number?I would not want to keep a US phone number just for this.

I can't file early. Statements from brokerage accounts may not be available until mid-Feb.

There is no US phone requirement for OLT - have used last two years and very happy with it.