Give me strength.......

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Care for a little episode from the 90s?

A German mate went with his wife to Bangkok Bank with Deutsch Mark (DM) traveller checks.

A friend of mine went to Bkk Bank in 1997 and was refused baht for his USD(or maybe the other way around). He went back late with his wife and a medal he got from the late king(order of the white elephant) to which he was summoned into the manager's office and given what he wanted. 

WillbGood, make sure you take all your medals when going to the bank.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No, you're not too stupid, it's another reason.

I always go alone, bank tellers don't need to chat with you in any language about transactions.

Paying a bill, hand them the money and the bill, no talking needed.

For deposits or withdrawals I can say 'faaark' or 'tawn' if I really have to.

What else would you need to say?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Will B Good said:
47 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Next time - don't take the wife. ????

Exactly......what on earth was that all about? She was only stood next to me???

If your wife had anything  at all to do with the deposit, even just by speaking to the cashier, because you do not speak Thai and the branch staff don't speak English, they may have initially seen the transaction as a third party deposit.   That, combined with the fact that it was Euro notes being deposited, could raise possible money laundering questions imposed by BoT that the bank's staff have to comply with, hence their needing your wife's ID.  Give them a break!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Care for a little episode from the 90s?

A German mate went with his wife to Bangkok Bank with Deutsch Mark (DM) traveller checks.

After a lengthy procedure he went out and was surprised about the remarkable amount of Thai Baht he got.

But joy didn't last long.

Soon after stepping on the road they ran after him.

Sir sir! We changed US Dollar rate but boss found that this is Deutsch Mark :cheesy:

I dont understand what your saying , please , i must run

• Haha 1

The reason they go to such extents are, if the notes are found to be forged or are no longer legal tender, it's the branch manager who has to pay back the bank. I suspect he/she will also make the teller pay somehow.

This is why they made so much fuss over your wife's details because they know it will be easier chasing her for the money then a foreigner.

So lets not be to harsh on the bank teller, I am sure you would do the same if you were in her shoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If your wife had anything  at all to do with the deposit, even just by speaking to the cashier, because you do not speak Thai and the branch staff don't speak English, they may have initially seen the transaction as a third party deposit.   That, combined with the fact that it was Euro notes being deposited, could raise possible money laundering questions imposed by BoT that the bank's staff have to comply with, hence their needing your wife's ID.  Give them a break!

Yes boss....funnily enough I didn't think it was the bank staff inventing cumbersome bureaucracy on the spot .......I had a sneaky suspicion it was down to the banks procedures.....DOH!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

A friend of mine went to Bkk Bank in 1997 and was refused baht for his USD(or maybe the other way around). He went back late with his wife and a medal he got from the late king(order of the white elephant) to which he was summoned into the manager's office and given what he wanted. 

WillbGood, make sure you take all your medals when going to the bank.

Badges from cub scouts maybe??......came first in the UK cross country cycling (before BMX was 'invented') circa 1968.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Exactly......what on earth was that all about? She was only stood next to me???

They took her ID? Didn't they?

To me it says that she is registered as the person changing foreign money.

I would say you stood next to her :biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

They took her ID? Didn't they?

To me it says that she is registered as the person changing foreign money.

I would say you stood next to her :biggrin:

Someone did suggest that it gives them an easier option to track me down if the notes are dodgy.....makes sense I guess.

Just now, Will B Good said:

Someone did suggest that it gives them an easier option to track me down if the notes are dodgy.....makes sense I guess.

What I would expect. Much easier to find a Thai person than one of these "farangs".

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2022 at 10:09 AM, Will B Good said:

Euros......I keep a stash in the boot of the car

Personally, in that case I would have changed the Euros to Thai Baht at SuperRich or another reliable exchange that gives a better rate than banks. Then I'd have used a cash deposit machine at Bangkok Bank.

I think I can honestly say that I've never deposited cash at the counter, and your report makes me wish that won't ever be necessary!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Personally, in that case I would have changed the Euros to Thai Baht at SuperRich or another reliable exchange that gives a better rate than banks. Then I'd have used a cash deposit machine at Bangkok Bank.

I think I can honestly say that I've never deposited cash at the counter, and your report makes me wish that won't ever be necessary!

Off to BKK in a few weeks so will do that, dependent on exchange rates....cheers.

• Like 1