Richard Barrow receives the British Empire Medal (BEM)

webfact

39 minutes ago, Grecian said:

How an obviously sincere, well meaning nice guy like Richard can get such a torrent of abuse thrown at him here baffles me!

You must not visit this forum much. You can expect any post about him to go this way. Seems like a combination of jealousy, bitterness, ignorance (the anti-vaxxers, covid just a flu types) because he publishes the daily numbers etc.. If hotels and companies want to offer him free stuff in exchange for publicity, you can't really blame him for taking them up on the offer, that's what the majority of people on social media with large followings are doing these days.

I've followed him on twitter and then his other account ThaiNewsReports, which I find much more useful, for the past few years and his information about immigration issues and vaccines were very helpful so I have nothing bad to say about the guy.

Since I'm now triple vaxxed, the number of COVID cases not really mattering anymore in terms of restrictions and in the process of getting my Elite Visa, I don't feel a need to check his twitter accounts anymore but happy he is getting some recognition for the helpful things he has done.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Burma Bill said:

To be honest, during all the 20 years I lived in Lanna and Isaan, Northern Thailand, I never heard of the man. His name only came to my notice during my last 2 years of retirement here in Cambodia regarding Covid-19. Is he a member of the ex-pat establishment in Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket??

He is not a member of the Lodge as far as I am aware. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

He is not a member of the Lodge as far as I am aware. 

Interesting, a Masonic or "Buffs" Lodge?? I thought there were no such Lodges in Thailand, however I have just discovered this on Google:- (pre-Covid-19??)

"Consecrated in 1995, Morakot Lodge is a Regular Masonic Lodge under the Irish Constitution with a Charter signed by the Grand Lodge of Ireland in Dublin. The Lodge meets at the British Club on Silom Soi 18 in Bangkok, Thailand"

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IN his case, WHY? What has he ever done that made the life of the average farang living in LOS better? Given I never heard of him other than on this forum, I doubt he did much that made a real difference.

Did he make immigration easier/ better for us, make us qualified to be treated in a Thai pubic hospital at Thai prices, stop the cons against farangs, etc?

Do tell.

Hear, hear!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I would rather see awards being given to those that spend their lives helping street animals. These people are true angels. Compared to people that bludge freebies while parroting and putting +ve spin on official govt narratives and promoting private enterprises. I believe his reward has already been given - normally with copious amounts of free large Changs if memory serves.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I would rather see awards being given to those that spend their lives helping street animals. These people are true angels. Compared to people that bludge freebies while parroting and putting +ve spin on official govt narratives and promoting private enterprises. I believe his reward has already been given - normally with copious amounts of free large Changs if memory serves.

free trips abroad...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

To be honest, during all the 20 years I lived in Lanna and Isaan, Northern Thailand, I never heard of the man. His name only came to my notice during my last 2 years of retirement here in Cambodia regarding Covid-19. Is he a member of the ex-pat establishment in Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket??

Expat Establishment. 

Says it all. 

Not missing much.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This thread is going to be interesting after midday once the ‘barstoolers’ wake up and see that an alternative information stream has been valued more than their ‘if you don’t like it go home’ rhetoric …

Congratulations RB… a good source a factual info. 

This legitimisation will make it more difficult for immigration and other authorities trying & stiff him when he takes on anti-dual-pricing issues and other issues which negatively impact foreigners living in Thailand. 

so ridiculous to think he has ever been threatened ! you seem to understand things very well...

what is crazy is that he doesn't even feel ridiculous every year when he is talking about the possibility that his visa is not extended....

he knows exactly whose balls he has been messing and he exactly knows that he will get his visa ANYWAY !

12 hours ago, salsajapan said:

Maybe he got it for being a good propaganda agent... he has been telling for 2 years to people what governments told him to repeat...

he must have the best bonner of his life ! After being paid by "the regime" to travel to UK, he now get a medal...

I can't stop laughing when he was so proud to be on the tarmac with some officials...

all his life he has been chasing that...

So true !!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RandiRona said:

He is political hack, ass kissing narcissist everyone should avoid. Not surprised UK embassy throwing some bones at him. If whining about dual pricing, this board members do a lot but no one able to do anything about it not him either. He could have used his connections to make UK expats covid concerns addressed but he was having fun with paid junkets...we dont need paid brokers like him.

really !

8 hours ago, Resident Alien said:

But the yearly clickbait bs, about his extension of stay going to be denied, is very annoying.

In the end of course he always gets his extension, the same as most people with the correct paperwork and finance.

so I am not the only one with a brain ! thanks !

2 hours ago, Grecian said:

How an obviously sincere, well meaning nice guy like Richard can get such a torrent of abuse thrown at him here baffles me!

people more aware than you maybe ? not difficult it seems....

7 hours ago, Hepbub said:

I was taught when younger, many, many years ago. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything." So many folk on this forum must wake up in the morning and think (if they actually do think), what can I be annoyed about today? All the negative comments about someone receiving some medal! If that's what floats your boat carry on, but I bet there isn't much mirth or laughter in

your households. Bunch of miseries.

I don't think this place is for you...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"We need people like him".

Huh?  What do "we" need him for?  I've never had the need for him in nearly thirty years of being here. 

I don't begrudge him a gong if someone thinks he's deserved it but what has he done that is so remarkable and "needed"?    That is a serious question.

Thats the difficult part to answer because those who work in the background such as RB, Embassy Staffers, consulate staff, various Chambers of Commerce etc.  all work away to make life slightly better for the foreign community....  

.... Could we have greater rights ? of course. But, could things be worse? yes. Could issues such as dual pricing be significantly worse if people were not publicly standing up to it ?... perhaps...  

It wasn’t so long ago that Thai Wife’s of foreigners were not permitted to own land.... someone paved the way in the shadows applying pressure to make such issues tolerable for many of us.

A couple of years ago these pages were rife with TM30 and TM28 questions and issues...  where are all of those threads now ?... they are much fewer because regulations have softened and they softened because of pressure from the expat community. 

As a result of pressure from the expat community the police have become less corrupt in certain areas... At one point the Thonglor police were a potential concern for many foreigners in the area... where are the police now stopping random foreigners getting them to urinate in cups and emptying their pockets ???...  Did this stop because of negative publicity and pressure from media-active members of the expat community ???

How about carrying our passports ??...  such issues were publicised which forced announcements that we didn’t need to carry our passports, then of course we did have to, then once again we didn’t...

Why were such these issues ever addressed ????  the simple answer is because there were people working in the background to force these issues into to the attention of those in positions of decision making power. 

So.. what have people like RB ever done... its easy to sit there and say ’nothing, I don’t see how he’s improved my life’.....   but rethink that next time you are walking down a street and police ride past without stopping you, searching your pockets and asking you to pee in a cup... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1