Thai and Russian Authorities Assisting Tourists Affected by Russia-Ukraine Crisis

webfact

3 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

It's one of the most frustrating things, I realise : some people are so far off reality that they cannot even start feeling any hint of shame about what they thing and say.

If I was Russian, I would die of shame with what is happening.

Do you feel I am so far off reality as Kiev is surrounded and civilian areas are bombarded today? What Russia is doing is shameful......but most of them simply do not know what is happening.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

At this moment I feel closing down the airspace to prevent  bombing and getting some military strength of Nato in the region .... this makes me nervous, but what I see happening to Ukraine and Ukrainians should not be permitted!

Now come on, all of us, well most of us, lived through the cold war.

We fought proxy wars, but at any time should a NATO aircraft shot down an aircraft from the Warsaw Pact, or vice versa, we all knew that was WW3.

Thing was back then, we all understood the rules of the game, and I think we all assumed that leaders on both sides were rational.

Fast forward to today. Folks have forgotten that reality and it's so easy to take the moral high ground, since people have forgotten that cold war threat. 

Add to that, the USSR was led by people who again were rational and somewhat kleptocratic, but nothing on the scale we see in Russia today. 

And, with Putin I'm not so sure how rational that man is, and clearly seems to totally believe in this Orwellian version of reality he's pumping to the Russian public

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Do you feel I am so far off reality as Kiev is surrounded and civilian areas are bombarded today? What Russia is doing is shameful......but most of them simply do not know what is happening.

"but most of them simply do not know what is happening." True. I have actually be saying the same a bit earlier.

But that is not what you were saying in your previous message, the one I replied to.

10 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

But that is not what you were saying in your previous message, the one I replied to.

I did not mention the Russian people in that post so am confused.

Khrushchev sometimes appeared as raving, and Yeltzin was a drunk.....Putin is cited as being crazy but usually appears calm and sober! Strikes me as chilling. 

Edited by jacko45k

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I did not mention the Russian people in that post so am confused.

Khrushchev sometimes appeared as raving, and Yeltzin was a drunk.....Putin is cited as being crazy but usually appears calm and sober! Strikes me as chilling. 

I cannot find the message I was reacting to, coming (I think) from you. It's difficult to keep track given the many exchanges in this discussion. Let's leave it at that! We probably would agree about many things anyway.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well done for taking statements out of context.....yes they are brave, but they are not winning.....I am afraid what the media was presenting was mainly platitudes, when what they need is military aid. You can be indignant, but don't be a drama queen.

I am not taking any statement out of context, try again. What you said was “All the reports of the brave stoic Ukrainian resistance are Western created” so you are saying that those reports are invented.

Your statement is shameful, and I am indignant; however being called a drama queen by someone that appears to spend their entire life on this forum, is quite frankly, hilarious.   

12 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

so you are saying that those reports are invented.

No, you said that...... I certainly did not. 

I said, simply put, all those reports come out of the Western media..... I don't perceive things as going that well.

Don't concern yourself how I spend my time.... 

Edited by jacko45k

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No, you said that...... I certainly did not. 

I said, simply put, all those reports come out of the Western media..... I don't perceive things as going that well.

Don't concern yourself how I spend my time.... 

Incorrect, you can’t even remember what you said. You did not say “all those reports come out of Western media”

What you said was “All the reports of the brave stoic Ukrainian resistance are Western created”

If you don’t know the meaning of the word ‘created’ I suggest that you stop using it until you do.

1 minute ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

If you don’t know the meaning of the word ‘created’ I suggest that you stop using it until you do.

Don't be pedantic... reports do not pre-exist. You are trolling, I shall add you to my special group.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

One problem of course is the 500+ planes on lease stranded in Russia that Putin has seized tearing up the Canadian agreement of airlines being able to reclaim them without borders rendering them useless for external flights outside of Russia as they would be impounded just about anywhere on arrival ????

However, just yesterday he said Russia has no plans to nationalize foreign assets.

"Unlike Western countries, we will respect property rights" 

But can we believe that? (Actually, we do not believe what he says, unlike believing others...)  

56 minutes ago, Saanim said:

However, just yesterday he said Russia has no plans to nationalize foreign assets.

"Unlike Western countries, we will respect property rights" 

But can we believe that? (Actually, we do not believe what he says, unlike believing others...)  

Can you believe that? (actually you do believe what he says unlike believing others...) ????

Edited by Bkk Brian

14 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

It's not the airspace restriction that is the issue for getting tourists home. There are plenty of one stop flights to Russia (e.g.,Qatar, Emirates). 

Financial sanctions, inability to use credit cards, and lack of bank transfer ability is what has caused the big problems. It's odd that this issue wasn't mentioned. 

The Russian government could fly its people home with the Russian airline 

9 minutes ago, Mike k said:

The Russian government could fly its people home with the Russian airline 

Aeroflot has been ordered to stop flying internationally (except to Belarus) over fears its aircraft will be seized

https://www.traveller.com.au/russian-airlines-leased-planes-airlines-go-domestic-to-prevent-confiscation-of-aircraft-h22dfj

• Like 1

I commend them for helping those in need of assistance without taking a side or becoming engaged is the Anti-Russian hatred that is sweeping most of the West.
These are Russian citizens, they are not their government.

Kudos to Thai authorities.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It seems that the purges have begun.  After that rather chilling rant where Putin talked about the necessity of "purity" purges of "True Russian culture" the top people in his military and intelligence services have been arrested for close questioning.

It looks like the gulags will become city sized again.

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Don't be pedantic... reports do not pre-exist. You are trolling, I shall add you to my special group.

So the thousands, and I do mean thousands, of comments you have made replying to, and contradicting other posters are okay; but when you get called out, you reach for the “troll” card …. I guess you don’t do irony  ¯\_()_/¯

17 minutes ago, ourdon said:

It seems that the purges have begun.  After that rather chilling rant where Putin talked about the necessity of "purity" purges of "True Russian culture" the top people in his military and intelligence services have been arrested for close questioning.

Russia is on its way to morph into a Stalinist gulag / North Korea / Khmer Rouge combination ????????. What a shame for a country that had glorious moments in its history! ????

Edited by gejohesch
adding a line
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Can you believe that? (actually you do believe what he says unlike believing others...) ????

Actually, what I believe depends on the logic of the statement, not on the person. 

And what I often read here is really not very logical, it does not give a common sense...

(Beside the double standard: Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi  )  

2 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Actually, what I believe depends on the logic of the statement, not on the person. 

And what I often read here is really not very logical, it does not give a common sense...

(Beside the double standard: Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi  )  

My post was in reference to your constant open ended questions without stating your own opinions and making those a little more clearer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Antti said:

No one should help the Russkies. Most of them are horrible people, truly the scum of the earth..

You need to stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think 555.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Attitudes like that help Putin with his propaganda of paranoia.

Russians have invaded, robbed, raped and murdered our country and people for centuries. They have intentionally caused famines etc. Now they come here to leech on welfare. I will never change my attitude on those scumbags.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:46 AM, ourdon said:

Purity purge sounds like putins has been studying hitlers hand book 

• Like 1