COVID-19: Thailand reports 25,456 news coronavirus cases, 77 deaths, 22,217 recoveries

webfact

COV17.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Thursday (March 17) reported 25,456 new COVID-19 cases, 22,217 recoveries and 77 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,276,098 with 23,995 deaths.

The news comes as the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) is scheduled to discuss the ease of immigration measures, like Thailand Pass and Test and Go, Songkran, mask mandates, and the reopening of entertainment venues in the upcoming general meeting this Friday, March 18th.

According to the reports of the Government House, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O’Cha, as the CCSA director, would participate in the meeting on Friday to update the general Covid-19 situation as well as to discuss and consider the easing of additional measures, including immigration relaxation for tourists, as proposed by the Ministry of Public Health.*

*THE PATTAYA NEWS contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update17MAR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-17

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 371 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Mar 16), bringing the total number of infections recorded since Jan 1 to 42,058.

Image: PPHO

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-371-new-covid-cases-no-new-deaths-83473.php

Looks like the preflight 72 hour before arrival test is being scrapped by Thailand.   Will be interesting to see if the airlines still make it mandatory.  The US still requires a test within 24 hours of flying there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Am I wrong in saying that would make the chances of testing positive on your day 1 test more likely? At least getting a test before you come let's you know if you have covid or not. Now your day 1 test will be alot more nervous waiting for the results. 

You just get a usually free test in your home country before arriving. No need to be nervous on a long flight at all. Easy peasy. If Singapore and Singapore air can drop their previous 2 day before PCR test for transit then anyone can. There are many Singapore residents who work at the airport everyday. I was there along with a lot of other travelers on Friday. I was surprised that I met 3 people coming to Thailand for two weeks or less as well before boarding. Two were coming for the first time. All were real tourists. If the tests and especially the insurance is dropped tourism will pick up within weeks. 

• Like 1

Chonburi announces 1,231 new and confirmed cases of Covid-19 and four new deaths

Highlights:

1,231 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Chonburi today

4,978 positive ATK (rapid antigen) tests were reported but all require a second confirmed PCR test before being counted as official cases. The ATK positive tests are just “possible” cases until confirmed by PCR. TPN notes, however, that second confirmed tests are no longer mandatory except for high-risk groups.

804 (PCR) and 1,964 (ATK) recovered and were released from medical care

Four new deaths

276008180_341047314730280_8868227731608469581_n.jpg

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/03/17/chonburi-announces-1231-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-four-new-deaths/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting vaccinations update on Thursday:

Last fall, at the peak of Thailand's COVID vaccine rollout, the country was doing more than 600,000 new vaccine doses per day. Yesterday's tally was less than one-third of that, at 181,854 new doses.

And yet, more than 68% of the population (more than two-thirds) have yet to receive the third booster dose that health authorities say is needed to best combat the Omicron variant. And more than 28% of the population has yet to even receive the two regular doses of the vaccine.

2022-03-17.thumb.jpg.3b367c60549ac2f472d6e9a3680283a6.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/523566522595010

Broader view outside of Thailand:

"After 5 weeks of declining cases, global COVID-19 cases rose last week, fueled by increasing cases in three regions, the World Health Organization (WHO) said yesterday in its latest weekly update.

In the United States, levels of the more transmissible BA.2 subvariant showed more signs of rising, as the country grapples with funding the ongoing pandemic response.

Roughly half of last week's cases were from the Western Pacific region, where surges are underway in hot spots such as Hong Kong, South Korea, and Vietnam.

(more)

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/03/global-covid-cases-rising-again

• Like 1

Pfizer, BioNTech seek authorization for second COVID booster in older adults

"Pfizer (PFE -0.3%) and BioNTech (BNTX -5.0%) are seeking an Emergency Use Authorization of their COVID-19 vaccine [in the U.S.] for a second booster shot for adults 65 years and older.

The submission included real-world data from Israel of people 60 and older who received a fourth booster of the companies' vaccine. An analysis showed that infections were two times lower and rates of severe illness were four times lower in those who received an additional booster dose compared to those who received only one booster."

(more)

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3813722-pfizer-biontech-to-seek-authorization-for-second-covid-booster-in-older-adults-wapo

AND

"Meanwhile, Stephen Hoge, President of the rival vaccine maker Moderna (NASDAQ:MRNA), predicted that only the elderly and the immunocompromised would probably need an additional booster shot, and the rest of the public could be more selective about it.

“Is it necessary? I think that’s a strong word. I think it will provide a benefit to anyone who gets it.” Business Insider reported Monday quoting Hoge.

According to Business Insider, Moderna (MRNA) is optimistic that a potential bivalent booster against Omicron as well as the original strain of the virus could be ready this year."

(more)

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3813487-pfizer-moderna-executives-offer-contrasting-views-on-additional-covid-19-shots

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

8 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You just get a usually free test in your home country before arriving. No need to be nervous on a long flight at all. Easy peasy. If Singapore and Singapore air can drop their previous 2 day before PCR test for transit then anyone can. There are many Singapore residents who work at the airport everyday. I was there along with a lot of other travelers on Friday. I was surprised that I met 3 people coming to Thailand for two weeks or less as well before boarding. Two were coming for the first time. All were real tourists. If the tests and especially the insurance is dropped tourism will pick up within weeks. 

Positive in your own country you can reschedule, positive on arrival or day 5 your done for. If those in charge of Thailand don't realize that this is the reason tourism won't take off, then nothing will change. Do away with arrival and day 5 test and I would seriously consider returning even with PCR before flight. 

Edited by Petey11
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Free test from which country, my test in the US was $300 USD for a 24 hour or less return, and other locales were charging between $150-$250 USD and you might get your test back in 3 to 5 days...If it was free I know more folks that would be traveling over seas.  My sister and her family paid over $600 USD to test prior to flying down to Mexico for a 2 week spring break trip.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

.......................whilst in other news thai road deaths hits near 65,000 in the same time period.

First, Thailand's official road deaths tally runs about 23,000+ per year, not the level your comment above suggests.

That works out to an average of about 63 traffic deaths per day.

Right now, Thailand is averaging more COVID deaths than that every day, with today's figure 77, and the past week running in the high 60s to 70s.

So, your comment above is more than a bit off.

Thailand reports new high of 27,071 COVID-19 cases, 80 deaths, 21,522 recoveries

COV18.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Friday (March 18) reported 27,071 new COVID-19 cases, 21,522 recoveries and 80 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1253882-thailand-reports-new-high-of-27071-covid-19-cases-80-deaths-21522-recoveries/

//CLOSED//

/Admin