Thai navy fires 37 million baht torpedo at target just 46 kms from Koh Phangan

webfact

12 minutes ago, Guderian said:

When they refuse to start up the engines on their aircraft carrier because it costs $5,000 just to get them going, forgive me for having grave doubts that they'd actually waste a million dollar torpedo. There's something we're not being told here, maybe the torpedo was old and had been donated by the USN, or else it was a blank and they retrieved it for future use.

It was on loan with a dummy war head me thinks and a long line to wind it back in like a kite.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

These guys are doing very, very important work to protect the people of Thailand from the countless threats they face on land, at sea, and in the air. What would Thailand do without their highly skilled, very capable, and extremely necessary armed forces? Such brave heroes. 

Lots of dangerous foes across the borders, ready to invade peaceful Thailand: Laos, Cambodia, Orang Asli... 

images.jpeg

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

These guys are doing very, very important work to protect the people of Thailand from the countless threats they face on land, at sea, and in the air. What would Thailand do without their highly skilled, very capable, and extremely necessary armed forces? Such brave heroes. 

Look at what happens in Ukraine now and tell me they don't have to be ready just in case

10 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

There have been thousands of times in the past when a "peaceful" country operated drills, only for the sheep to proclaim, 'why?'   Luckily, they were prepared in the future when the attack DID come.   Why even have a military if you are not at war?  Why even keep any military equipment up to standard if you are not at war?  Why is China conducting exercises?  whose going to invade China?   very brave to complain.  brave to attack a country where you reside.  brave to insult their military.   brave to know more than a 5-star general or admiral or whatever.  When countries get invaded and people murdered, people will ask, "why weren't we ready?"  well, thai posters said we didn't need to!!!!!  

Thailand has no enemies so won’t get attacked so no real need for any military ( like Costa Rica) . Should have fired test torpedo at fraction of cost ????

• Like 1

It is a blessing in the sky. Try to imagine, they would have received those three submarines from China already. Try to imagine, that those subs would be equipped with real engines. 

Chances, that Somchai would have fired and sunk a friendly, i.e. Thai submarine, commandeered by Somsak .... followed by three to six months temple ...... They would have had to wake up Prawatch to spill the beans.

Honestly, how can a country with such a social imbalance of wealth go and blow a torpedo at USD 1.2 million a pop? If it did not hit any target (and there is no reference to that) and did not self-explode, then there is news 53 metres down at the seabed - well done! Give 'em all a medal for good work! 

22 hours ago, petermik said:

the target they aimed for is known as a "flexible target" meaning whatever it hits that`s the one....cratfy beggars or what....

what was it a stationary plywood cut out of a ship ..at 2.5 km away why should Thailand tremble when they have this power 

i could probably have hit it with a frisbee.. Never mind only 37.000.000

21 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Look at what happens in Ukraine now and tell me they don't have to be ready just in case

Yes, it is quite obvious Thailand has something in common with Ukraine. Scary neighbors, with dictator despot leaders. Well, as least the last part is right! 

• Like 2

I'm pretty certain a torpedo of that class will avoid the shallow bottom.  It must have been a miss or they would have bragged about it. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Haha 1