Thai navy fires 37 million baht torpedo at target just 46 kms from Koh Phangan

webfact

""The torpedo was fired at a range of 2.5kms 53 meters under water. """

The Gulf of Thailand is shallow, with an average depth of 45m and a maximum of 80m. The main rivers flowing into it are the Chao Phraya, the Mae Klong and the Tapi.

That's why he never hit the target.????

• Haha 2

"One was fired at a simulated target set up by navy operatives from Sattahip. ... The torpedo was fired at a range of 2.5kms 53 meters under water. "

maybe they have meant range 250km? But phangan is much further from sattahip, over 500km in a strait line.

the Gulf is very shallow, average just 20m. That's why submarines, and very possible, large torpedoes, are easy to detect from above and destroy, before they get to their target. 

And what is significance of this exercise right now? Because the chinese submarines are postponed indefinitely?

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

These guys are doing very, very important work to protect the people of Thailand from the countless threats they face on land, at sea, and in the air. What would Thailand do without their highly skilled, very capable, and extremely necessary armed forces? Such brave heroes. 

Surely the sailors could have better target practice if they were sent to Ukraine and land based for a few weeks? Armed with Javelin and NLAW rockets they could have a lot more excitement and benefit at a much lower cost per "shot" than these unnecessary torpedos.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Could it be that the torpedo use by date was about to expire and they decided to use it up before it blows up in their magazines?...

I was thinking that too. During my time in the world's smallest and finest Air Force we regularly used some very old ammunition on live firing camps.

On one the 1000lb- ers were older than me.

Date of manufacture 1955......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I think that's the permanently docked aircraft carrier, HTMS Chakri Naruebet in the photo? CVH-911.

It left Sattahip on the 14th and returned this morning.

The torpedo was launched from an S-60 helicopter, which I'm pretty sure was operating from the carrier..

It is a popular misconception, by those that know no better (of which there are many), that the ship never leaves port.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/RTN911-IMO-0-MMSI-567004000

When they refuse to start up the engines on their aircraft carrier because it costs $5,000 just to get them going, forgive me for having grave doubts that they'd actually waste a million dollar torpedo. There's something we're not being told here, maybe the torpedo was old and had been donated by the USN, or else it was a blank and they retrieved it for future use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BE88 said:

The Gulf of Thailand is shallow, with an average depth of 45m and a maximum of 80m. The main rivers flowing into it are the Chao Phraya, the Mae Klong and the Tapi.

... 555, but no, seriously, it could have been the subterranean variety - torpedus subterraneus in latin - I've heard it's quite a hub here, like for just about everything else under the sun ...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Such a torpedo is the backbone of the US Navy's lightweight anti-submarine warfare torpedo inventory and is the NATO standard, according to Wikipedia.

I hope they've got a spare one just in case war breaks out?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BE88 said:

They were trying to use it to expand the depth of the gulf.  Looking for oil I think.

• Haha 1