Bike without green book or papers

BigFalang

Hello! 

Came across a bike for sale without green book or papers. Its a 2018 Honda Click 125 that has apparently only gone 1000km.

They are only asking for 10k baht for the bike, saying someone used it as a deposit for a personal loan and then stopped paying so they kept the bike. 

Now this sounds really sketchy to me. Could this be legit? Could I get in trouble for buying a bike without green papers etc? 

Appreciate any help! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BigFalang said:

Could this be legit? Could I get in trouble for buying a bike without green papers etc? 

Not legit, probably stolen. If you live somewhere on the village you might get away with it. But if police ever checks it, the best case scenario would be that they just confiscate the bike, in the worst case scenario they say you stole it and arrest you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't buy any bike without a book. 

There probably money lenders who are trying to get their money lent back.

Most probably it is stolen. Money lenders tend to keep atleast photocopy of bike's documents. Also even if they have photocopy or original papers, it wont' still be legal unless current owner(mentioned in Green book) agrees.

So keep away from this to prevent future trouble.

regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BackstreetBoys said:

Most probably it is stolen. Money lenders tend to keep atleast photocopy of bike's documents. Also even if they have photocopy or original papers, it wont' still be legal unless current owner(mentioned in Green book) agrees.

So keep away from this to prevent future trouble.

regards

I didn't mean ligit money lenders I would guess you know what I mean.

There are genuine (not stolen or with outstanding loans) bikes with no green book - but they will be exotic, imported bikes, race bikes, or off road only motorcross bikes.  Some people do personal imports and accept that the bike can not be registered or legally used on the road.

But a Honda Click ..... nah.

It's either stolen, or the finance company has the green book so you can't legally buy it.

• Thanks 1

Alright everyone thanks for the advice, I figured it's probably best not to buy it. 

Just wanted some more opinions since I'm not really experienced with buying bikes in Thailand, read another thread where they said it was normal for thais to buy/sell without papers. 

This thread can be closed now! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

How would you register the bike and pay yearly registration without any papers. There is no need to seek answers for obvious. 

Haha well it wasn't obvious to me. I read another post were people were saying there are a lot of thais buying/selling without green book. 

It sounds obvious that you cant ride a bike that's not taxed or insured, but this is Thailand after all and pretty much anything goes... Thats why I thought I'd ask. 

11 hours ago, bbko said:

Would you be ok with buying a car or motorbike in your home country that you couldn't register?

Nope, but this isn't my home country. I wouldnt be driving without a drivers license in Sweden either, but here I pay a fine of 400 baht if they stop me - which hasn't happened in 3 years. 

16 hours ago, BigFalang said:

Haha well it wasn't obvious to me. I read another post were people were saying there are a lot of thais buying/selling without green book. 

Yes, they do for cars also. I know some shoddy used car dealers who would give you fake papers even Did not think your intent was to drive a motorcycle with fake papers. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

On 3/18/2022 at 8:10 PM, CartagenaWarlock said:

How would you register the bike and pay yearly registration without any papers. There is no need to seek answers for obvious. 

You can get the bike taxed and insured   no problem,you can buy green book    market place

take bike to test station,pay 620 baht,tax/ins  keep receipt and show for collection next day

Edited by fredscats