How Can I Make Cornmeal?

JR Texas

OK......I know that in some stores in Chiang Mai you can actually find cornbread mix and cornmeal in packages, but you can't find them where I am at in Isan.

So.......question: How do you make cornmeal?

Thailand has lots of corn......but apparently they don't make cornmeal. I have seen corn flour and it is definitely not what I want. I want to make cornbread and stuffing and things like that.........and that requires cornmeal.

Is it just dried corn that is ground up? Can't be that simple..............

while someone on here MIGHT be able to help .... don't you think google might be more useful?

JR Texas to Jdinasia: Good idea........so all those who have a future question about how to make a certain type of product/food take note: do not post here, just do research on Google and do not share what you find with others here.

while someone on here MIGHT be able to help .... don't you think google might be more useful?

JR Texas to Jdinasia: Good idea........so all those who have a future question about how to make a certain type of product/food take note: do not post here, just do research on Google and do not share what you find with others here.

LOL ... where to buy products to make cornmeal etc ... Thailand related .....

But really ... ask away ... make someone look it up or write it down when all you needed to do was google :o

LOL ... where to buy products to make cornmeal etc ... Thailand related .....

But really ... ask away ... make someone look it up or write it down when all you needed to do was google :o

JR Texas: OK......here is what Google says about it:

Cornmeal

Cornmeal is simply ground corn. The varieties of cornmeal are not quite that simple, however. It's helpful to know that there are three parts to a kernel of corn:

* The endosperm - most of the kernel is made up of the endosperm. The endosperm contains most of the starch.

* The germ - the living part of the corn is called the germ. It is at the center of the kernel and contains most of the fat in corn (which is where corn oil comes from).

* The paricarp – this is the outer husk of the kernel.

To make cornmeal, kernels are dried and then ground to either a fine, a medium or a coarse texture. Packages are either labeled stone-ground or steel-ground. The stone-ground method, sometimes referred to as water-ground, retains some of the hull and the germ while steel-ground cornmeal has mostly the endosperm. For cooking and baking purposes I prefer to use stone-ground cornmeal.

Polenta is simply cornmeal and Italian polenta recipes can be made with coarse ground cornmeal. Most of the polenta that you will find in specialty stores is a coarser grind than the coarse stone-ground American variety. It often has bits of corn in it and, as a result, it makes really great cornbread. (See also Blue cornmeal.)

1/4 cup grits = 130 calories, 0 fat, 0g sat fat, 0g mono fat, 3g protein, 29g carbohydrates, 30mg sodium, 5mg cholesterol

PS. If any person has a simple way of doing this, please let me know. What does water-ground mean? You use water? Odd. Can you just take dried kernels and put them in a blender? Thanks.

If you had a coffee grinder, that would probably be better than using a food processor.

JR Texas: Thanks Jamie.......I want to make a lot of it.......I know a mortar and pestle would be the most difficult way......maybe some type of large grinder........way too many questions here.....too many unknowns......and apparently there is a cornmeal monitor on this thread.