Are There Farang Who Drive A Honda Cbr 1000rr

Quite a few big bikes here and a lot of those are ridden by farangs. Here I've had a CB750, a VFR800 and a VTR1000. Other friends of mine have/had big Hondas, BM's, Harleys :-(, ZX's and even a Ducati 999.

The bikes are nice to ride ...... just a pity about the other idiots out on the road.

• 1 month later...
This afternoon I see a honda cbr 1000rr!! and this wha's such a great machine to see! I wonder are there guy's on this forum who drive this great machine in thailand?

Regards Peter

Hi Peter.

Check out what year it's from, some of the first ones had engine problems, and Honda got a "grande head-ache" about that.

Tilapia.

Here in Chiang Mai I've seen a Ducati 900, BMW K1200S, a Suzuki TL1000, Kawasaki ZX1200, and similar, riding on the streets. Oh, and a Yamaha sportbike with license plate that just said "165 horsepower." Me, I drive a CBR, but only a 150. To be honest, I wonder what I'd do with more than 100 horsepower under my crotch. And I'm always sober! I mean, if you rip from zero to 102 kph in about 3 seconds on your average soi in Thailand, how many soi dogs and soi children will you hit? And those machines are designed to go 290 kph, but you cannot do that safely in Thailand. Nah, no thanks. It seems like much more than one can reasonably use, like one person living in a 12 room house. Oh, I'd like another 41 horsepower to get myself out of trouble once a week when Somchai the truck driver gets in my way, but it's also too tempting.

Here in Chiang Mai I've seen a Ducati 900, BMW K1200S, a Suzuki TL1000, Kawasaki ZX1200, and similar, riding on the streets. Oh, and a Yamaha sportbike with license plate that just said "165 horsepower." Me, I drive a CBR, but only a 150. To be honest, I wonder what I'd do with more than 100 horsepower under my crotch. And I'm always sober! I mean, if you rip from zero to 102 kph in about 3 seconds on your average soi in Thailand, how many soi dogs and soi children will you hit? And those machines are designed to go 290 kph, but you cannot do that safely in Thailand. Nah, no thanks. It seems like much more than one can reasonably use, like one person living in a 12 room house. Oh, I'd like another 41 horsepower to get myself out of trouble once a week when Somchai the truck driver gets in my way, but it's also too tempting.

Hi P.B.

I do agree with you that powerful sportsbikes is not the ideal thing in Thailand, however it can be controled to a certain degree. I have been riding sportsbikes since I could walk (more or less), I tried a few soft-choppers and all-round bikes, but it just dont give me the same pleassure, the handeling, breakes, the power, is not there. I like the feeling, of the acceleration, the raw power, makes the adrenalin pump in my body, it just is a great trip.. :o

Tilapia.

This afternoon I see a honda cbr 1000rr!! and this wha's such a great machine to see! I wonder are there guy's on this forum who drive this great machine in thailand?

Regards Peter

Hi Peter.

Check out what year it's from, some of the first ones had engine problems, and Honda got a "grande head-ache" about that.

Tilapia.

Hi Pete.

Damm I'm getting old :D it was the old VFR 1000R there had the problem, not the model you are talking about.....My bad :o

Tilapia.

• 1 year later...

Hey, if anyone is interested I have a 99 Kawasaki ZX9-R in nice shape sitting in Hua Hin. It's gone to a few bike weeks around Thailand and Hua Hin city rides. All of the paperwork is there but the dealer took off with the book money. It still has a dealer red plate on it. Make an offer. it seems shameful to let it sit a little more.

post-70627-1235699612_thumb.jpg

Regards Peter

Hi Peter.

Tilapia.

Hi Pete.

Damm I'm getting old :D it was the old VFR 1000R there had the problem, not the model you are talking about.....My bad :D

Tilapia.

Ahem, VFR 1000R? :o How can it have engine problems when it's not even gone on sale yet??? The VFR 1000 is a brand new bike for 2009. Methinks you meant VTR 1000?

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attac...mp;d=1211412484

Hey, if anyone is interested I have a 99 Kawasaki ZX9-R in nice shape sitting in Hua Hin. It's gone to a few bike weeks around Thailand and Hua Hin city rides. All of the paperwork is there but the dealer took off with the book money. It still has a dealer red plate on it. Make an offer. it seems shameful to let it sit a little more.

I'd love to get my hands on a ZX9R to use as a track bike. "Dealer took off with the book money"... As you know, unregistered bikes are a hot target these days. Better keep your bike off the road for the time being. Since your bike has no book that should drop the value quite a bit. 10 years old but looks clean and the ZX9R is a tough machine. How much are you asking? I am interested.

Lookin' at the pic it appears your ZX9R was dropped or suffered a slow speed slide on the right side. Scratched up pipe and can and bar end. How about the other side? Still interested.

Regards Peter

Building up to it, own a CBR 400 :D

Believe me, there are times you'll need the extra power, especially when lunatic pick-ups are chasing you :o

Knowing when to use the rocket-like-power is key though :D

Edited by JimsKnight

According to Tony (insider in Kawa) The Ninja 10 will be in the 600k class this year???

Anyways if it happens THAT will be my dedicated trackbike, if not R1... There is no point buying the brilliant new Ninja 6 or the R6 when the price difference is so small to the 1000cc as it currently is, plus as Graham told me the 600 class competing is only some few guys who are real pro's so not being last the liter class makes more sense.

This is why I went for the FZ6 with the 2004 R6 engine, you can use it at the track with the right engine drive so you can get used to it, won't be able to compete with R6 or Ninja 6 but to use it to learn and practice practice practice until I get good enough to be there and then go for a dedicated track and daytrip machine.

Honda... I loved my old CBR 600 RR, but I loved my old Kawa 750 Turbo more than anything I've ever owned. Kawasaki is great stuff. Now I will try out Yamaha, and if it's as good as I assume it might be on my favorite list as well.

Cheers Bard

I have a 1988 CBR 750 Hurricane that I am not using if anyone is interested. my gfs brother took it to a garage in ayuthaya to sell but I can easily get it back to BKK, in fact I think I will get it back to BKK anyway. Bodywork needs some attention as it fell while on the kickstand (slipped into one of the small drains outside my house) and scraped the side and slightly scraped one of the exhausts (exhaust on both sides of the bike). It has the book (I put in gfs brothers name as I never had the right visa at the time to register it).

Its not perfect but its a lot of bike for little money, pm me if someone is looking for this type of thing