Endocrinologist in CM

jimmym40

Hi Sheryl,

I am curious what makes you think she is good other than being a professor and kind?

I ask as there is an emerging school of thought in America that a whole plant based diet is the key to treating chronic diseases such as diabetes and I have not found a single doctor open to this in Chiang Mai...

Note this is not an argumentative post at all - instead it is sincere post made by a 30 year plus type 2 diabetic who finds that classically trained  endocrinologists know little about nutrition and its role in health and at best slow chronic diseases down, but do not cure chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes.

Note I have found that exercise, a whole plant low fat diet and stress reduction help a lot... would love to find a modern endocrinologist is up to date with the latest research...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Hi Sheryl,

I am curious what makes you think she is good other than being a professor and kind?

I ask as there is an emerging school of thought in America that a whole plant based diet is the key to treating chronic diseases such as diabetes and I have not found a single doctor open to this in Chiang Mai...

Note this is not an argumentative post at all - instead it is sincere post made by a 30 year plus type 2 diabetic who finds that classically trained  endocrinologists know little about nutrition and its role in health and at best slow chronic diseases down, but do not cure chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes.

Note I have found that exercise, a whole plant low fat diet and stress reduction help a lot... would love to find a modern endocrinologist is up to date with the latest research...

Prof. Ampica is an internationally known expert in thyroid diseases and has published in international journals on the subject. I have referred many people to her with good feedback.

The OP is not asking about diabetes but about thyroid.  Thyroid diseases cannot be cured through diet.

Certainly diet plays a huge role in management of diabetes and can in many (but not all) cases avoid the need for medication. And it is true that most Thai doctors give little attention to this, or lip service at most. I think the assumption is that it is useless because patients cannot/will not change their diet and this in turn relates to the Thai cultural habit of sharing dishes (the whole family would have to go on the same diet for it to work) and strong reliance in white rice.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Prof. Ampica is an internationally known expert in thyroid diseases and has published in international journals on the subject. I have referred many people to her with good feedback.

The OP is not asking about diabetes but about thyroid.  Thyroid diseases cannot be cured through diet.

Certainly diet plays a huge role in management of diabetes and can in many (but not all) cases avoid the need for medication. And it is true that most Thai doctors give little attention to this, or lip service at most. I think the assumption is that it is useless because patients cannot/will not change their diet and this in turn relates to the Thai cultural habit of sharing dishes (the whole family would have to go on the same diet for it to work) and strong reliance in white rice.

Hi Sheryl,

Yes, I understand that thyroids was mentioned - sorry if I was confusing the issue...

But endocrinologists treat both - I think... so I got excited and posted with the hope of a  suggestion for a local doctor.

Agree completely that in many but not all cases diet can help and maybe reverse type 2 diabetes. Type 1 is another story...

"...I think the assumption is that it is useless because patients cannot/will not change their diet..."

Again I think you are correct - but some patients such as myself are very open to eating a heathy diet and exercising daily. I have not found s ingle doctor in Chiang Mai that has a healthy lifestyle as the theme of their diabetes practice...

Have you heard of one?

There may be a couple in Bangkok but I never go to Bangkok.

Thank you!