Transport Ministry to Transfer Three Provincial Airports to AOT

snoop1130

6b8073690639d5c277ff6c6ffd97e209_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Transport has indicated that it will transfer the management of three provincial airports to Airports of Thailand (AOT) next month.

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said the three airports - in the provinces of Krabi, Udon Thani and Buri Ram - are currently being run by the Department of Airports (DoA).

According to the minister, the government has resolved to transfer management of the airports to AOT. The move comes after his ministry determined that AOT can assist in expanding their capacities and transforming them into regional air transport hubs capable of handling additional tourists.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The ministry reached its decision after consulting with the two airport administrations and the Treasury Department, which owns the property on which the three airports are located.

The move will also see the three airports upgraded from local to regional and, eventually, secondary hub status.

Additionally, it is expected to alleviate air traffic congestion in the skies above the capital. It also aims to enhance Thailand’s aviation competitiveness and bring the Kingdom closer to becoming an aviation center.

AOT will assume management duties next month. According to the ministry’s action plan, the Krabi and Udon Thani airports will officially open in August, while Buri Ram Airport will make its official debut in September.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-22

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

10 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Those airports exist for many years, have flights to many parts of country

I think they mean open the brown envelopes next August, not the actual airports because as you say they have been opened for years.

• Like 1

Given the fact, that i.e. Udon Thani was paid for by the US taxpayers in the 60s of last century for the American presence in the non-existing secret war over Laos ......

DoA, AoT and XYZ = explains the efficiency, power struggle and cloudy waters in all the governmental budgets. Just out of interest, if i.e. Bangkok Airways wants to fly a sector between a DoA airport and a AoT airport (as so done in the past between Swampy and Udon), it would mean to file for traffic rights with the Department of Civil Aviation and then kiss the DoA and AoT in addition for their kind endeavours in facilitating matters? 

I recall the project engineer on the airport bridge from Don Muang airport across the highway and rail track into the Airport hotel (managed by Siam Lodge which turned into Amari lateron). It took an entire office to keep the paper piles mounting and valid among 22 (twenty two) government agencies like the AoT, Department of Highways, State Railways of Thailand, the municipality of Don Muang, the air force etc. etc. etc. Once they had all papers filed, all inked signatures dried, they had a time window of 2 workings days until the first approvals would have expired again.

Welcome to the bureaucracy Kingdom - you're welcome! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Buriram - what a surprise ????

But I don't quite understand how this all works. DoA is a government department, while AOT is a publicly listed, for-profit company (albeit one with a substantial government ownership share). So how will these airports be "transferred"? Will AOT pay for the opportunity to run them, or will they be paid by the government to operate them, or...? I'm having difficulty following the money here.

5 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Buriram - what a surprise ????

But I don't quite understand how this all works. DoA is a government department, while AOT is a publicly listed, for-profit company (albeit one with a substantial government ownership share). So how will these airports be "transferred"? Will AOT pay for the opportunity to run them, or will they be paid by the government to operate them, or...? I'm having difficulty following the money here.

'I'm having difficulty following the money here."

So will everyone else......i think thats the point....hide the corruption under the guise of a listed company, ike they did with Thai Airways......

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

'I'm having difficulty following the money here."

So will everyone else......i think thats the point....hide the corruption under the guise of a listed company, ike they did with Thai Airways......

Not sure about that but the first indication will be when the international flights commence from those three and the duty free sales are given to "you know who", just like the rest.  Still at least Leicester City fans will have an outlet to buy things locally perhaps.????

• Haha 1