Pattaya mayor confirms Songkran, including the “big day” on April 19th, will take place-but no water fights, booze, powder, or parties-only religious and traditional activities allowed

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

but the focus will be on traditional and religious practices. Water splashing, water fights, alcohol consumption, powder, foam parties, and parties, in general, was still prohibited due to concerns around Covid-19.

So in other words, it'll be like funeral, sombre colourless and boring...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I am expecting bars will be open and be serving beer and a free for all, beyond the capability of the police, will occur!

Nature always finds a way... Thais will celebrate in their own way, regardless of the water fights.

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

No wonder so many deaths on the roads, that ice water startles you, just the thing you need when maneuvering through drunking people. 

Yeah typically road deaths during Songkran are lower than usual so doubt the ice water is startling anyone to die on the sois.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Howiehotspur said:

No water fights is great news for me , as here in Pattaya I stock up and stay in the whole week 

so not particularly bothered , but does that mean NO bars will be open and or 7-11 selling alcohol? 
for the whole week ?  ‘ no booze ‘ .. 

No, it does not mean bars and 7/11's will close.

drink more think less.

• Haha 1

Two thoughts:

1 - They are already applying restrictions for something that is a month away, which doesn't bode well for much opening up in the future.

2 - No-one will take any notice of the restrictions anyway, as no-one ever does. And the police will not enforce anything, as they never do either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

2 - No-one will take any notice of the restrictions anyway, as no-one ever does. And the police will not enforce anything, as they never do either.

Traffic control, sort of!

• Haha 1

My visit to Pattaya finishes on the 6th, a Buddhist holiday so no booze which is why I will be driving home on that day, therefore missing any nonsense that may occur.

I shall enjoy the traditional 3 days in my village with the locals as usual.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

See you further first. Thailand is, among others, best known for its childish approach. 

Take a toy away from a kiddo and see what happens. As the "kids" here are of legal age, they will just disregard this rule of no water and no booze. Wondering to which heights the death toll will go this Songkran; luckily certainly lower than previous years due to lack of funds to go home but nevertheless a staggering if not mind-boggling figure again - despite the booze ban!

You're welcome! 

• Like 1

Let's face it, not many people want to take 2-3 vaccines, take out mad insurance, take 1-2 pcr tests, have a quarantine , a £500 flight, for a Thai water festival anyway these days. May as well just postpone the whole thing to October and keep fingers crossed the Generals change their minds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah typically road deaths during Songkran are lower than usual so doubt the ice water is startling anyone to die on the sois.

Exactly. And of course the handful of posters on this forum that post like him every year!  It never ceases to amaze me. They have an entire year to NOT get ice water thrown on them ( which is refreshing when it's 36 outside) and know exactly where to go to have it happen to them!  Like I say every year. Instead of complaining or being a stubborn old man who feels he has the right to go anywhere in Pattaya during peak Songkran party days/areas. You can stay home, go away or this is always my best suggestion but stupid people are just that: RENT A CAR THAT WEEK! Well 2023 Songkran will be EPIC!! I think some of you should prepare an extra long time to be spent under your beds next year. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

13 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

My visit to Pattaya finishes on the 6th, a Buddhist holiday so no booze which is why I will be driving home on that day, therefore missing any nonsense that may occur.

I shall enjoy the traditional 3 days in my village with the locals as usual.

Chakri day is now a dry day ?

When did that happen ?

• Like 1

According to World Health Organization, roughly 23,000 people die in road accidents each year. this comes out to ~442 deaths per week.

According to the Road Safety Directing Center (www.roadsafetythailand.com), in 2018 there were 418 deaths during songkran week, so there were slightly fewer road deaths during songkran.

songkran 2018.jpg

Edited by HappyExpat57
grammar
  • Like 1