Pattaya mayor confirms Songkran, including the “big day” on April 19th, will take place-but no water fights, booze, powder, or parties-only religious and traditional activities allowed

webfact

Most of the Country adheres to the traditional custom over Songkran ????

Pattaya and Kao San Road are for mainly tourists to throw blast each other with  iced water plastic water guns ect  plenty of alcohol involved ????

Will be interesting to see how many actual tourists will be there if there is no water celebrations allowed ????

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“Wan Lai” on April 19th, or the day of water, will be allowed in Pattaya. However, it’s unclear what this will look like as water play and fights will be banned

Oh, undoubtedly the million+ people who usually line all the streets, drunk as skunks and going completely batsh(i)t, will stand respectfully in silence and deep contemplation all day. Or they may just ignore the order and do what they normally do.

Edited by Guderian

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Wow sounds like a lot of fun (if you're a nun) 

Anyway, one good to come out is you won't get blasted by those high powered water guns from the F.W foreigners on Soi Buakhao. 

Oh yeah. No more water thrown from water buckets filled with ice blocks.

These 2 stupid water activities really hurt.

No wonder so many deaths on the roads, that ice water startles you, just the thing you need when maneuvering through drunking people. 

like a party without a cake boring ..ill give it a miss

Don't understand why Pattaya celebrates for 3days after the national holiday? If it's to attract Bangkokian Barflys after the national holiday as previously, if alcohol and partying is banned it is pointless and will only act as a superspreading nightmare!

1 minute ago, chilly07 said:

Don't understand why Pattaya celebrates for 3days after the national holiday? If it's to attract Bangkokian Barflys after the national holiday as previously, if alcohol and partying is banned it is pointless and will only act as a superspreading nightmare!

They will still be expecting people to come here......  they have done in the past.....

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Oh, undoubtedly the million+ people who usually line all the streets, drunk as skunks and going completely batsh(i)t, will stand respectfully in silence and deep contemplation all day. Or they may just ignore the order and do what they normally do.

Brilliant day, only day of the year I enjoy a gridlocked  Suk Road, I'll be there pulling my beer filled esky along behind me.

5 hours ago, wombat said:

While the rest of the world returns to normal the powers that be continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

Yes indeed, whilst across the border in Cambodia (quote):-

"Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that the Khmer New Year celebration and holidays – which falls in mid-April – will be celebrated this year....................... This year, we must celebrate, dance and revel........"

https://www.tourismcambodia.com/news/localnews/28109/new-year-held-in-2022-prime-minister.htm

12 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Perhaps on the 19th but in Pattaya its a ten day orgy of stupidity and violence.

I remember my first 2 songkrans and was full of joy. After more than a decade of it, I've had more than my fill. Hunkering down in the condo with enough provisions to sit it out.

6 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I remember my first 2 songkrans and was full of joy. After more than a decade of it, I've had more than my fill. Hunkering down in the condo with enough provisions to sit it out.

Yes its fun once. In 1989. But ever since I've left Thailand and visited Vietnam, China and the Philippines.

8 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

The bars and ladies who are working there,What fun for them.They will all go home and bars may as well shut as tourist will not be there for the period.One way to kill they fun for songkran

gov dont care... I ok Jack, I on salary... would love to see gov workers loose their pay and feel with the village people....

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Wow sounds like a lot of fun (if you're a nun) 

Anyway, one good to come out is you won't get blasted by those high powered water guns from the F.W foreigners on Soi Buakhao. 

Oh yeah. No more water thrown from water buckets filled with ice blocks.

These 2 stupid water activities really hurt.

No wonder so many deaths on the roads, that ice water startles you, just the thing you need when maneuvering through drunking people. 

This party is for the younger people dude

20 hours ago, shackleton said:

Most of the Country adheres to the traditional custom over Songkran ????

Pattaya and Kao San Road are for mainly tourists to throw blast each other with  iced water plastic water guns ect  plenty of alcohol involved ????

Will be interesting to see how many actual tourists will be there if there is no water celebrations allowed ????

There are far more places than that who have at least one mad day of water throwing.

On 3/23/2022 at 7:16 PM, blackshadow said:

and who is going to ensure NO BOOZE ????????

Probably the people that ensure it costs the business owner more to pay them off, than any possible profits that can be made from actually selling booze.  

On 3/23/2022 at 4:17 PM, Pepelino said:

This party is for the younger people dude

agree has nowt to do with it. the "party" is for people with nothing between their ears

Edited by Lemsta69

17 hours ago, chrissables said:

There are far more places than that who have at least one mad day of water throwing.

Here's Silom in BKK, near Dusit Thani, Songkran 2017.  Safely taken from the BTS walkway.

Lots of tourists come for "the biggest water fight in the world".  At least, they used to...  This crowd went on for blocks and blocks, and pretty much filled Lumpini Park.

P_20170413_173515.jpg

I wear obnoxious Songkran shirts a lot here in the USA.  Unbelievable how many compliments I get on the shirts.  But I do live on an island, in a beach community.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1