Noodles

scubascuba3

Anyone know a make of healthy noodles? for noodle soup, I'm thinking mainly carbohydrates. The local market has plenty of freshish ones but i have no idea what the ingredients are.

Mama for example is about 20% fat so pretty unhealthy, see image, i imagine other makes will be similar.

Maybe buying a pasta would be better, less rubbish in it

Screenshot_2022-03-22-16-38-05-564_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3

Make homemade Thai Noodle Soup (Kwet Yao? spelling?)

Buy a packet of bean noodles.

Low sodium vegetable or chicken stock, water, fresh steamed prawns, chicken, lots of green leafy vegetables, spring onions, egg, and lemon/lime, add the bean noodles.

Similar to what they serve MK Suki.

Don't like those Mama noodles, they are very high in sodium.

Edited by userabcd

38 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Make homemade Thai Noodle Soup (Kwet Yao? spelling?)

Buy a packet of bean noodles.

Low sodium vegetable or chicken stock, water, fresh steamed prawns, chicken, lots of green leafy vegetables, spring onions, egg, and lemon/lime, add the bean noodles.

Similar to what they serve MK Suki.

Don't like those Mama noodles, they are very high in sodium.

Bean noodles are healthier? as expected not easy to find ingredient's, says starch so mostly carbohydrate hopefully.

Which green leafy vegetables? 

Screenshot_2022-03-23-16-17-45-839_com.android.chrome.jpg

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Bean noodles are healthier? as expected not easy to find ingredient's, says starch so mostly carbohydrate hopefully.

Which green leafy vegetables? 

Screenshot_2022-03-23-16-17-45-839_com.android.chrome.jpg

Carbohydrates.

Vegetables can add: Morning glory, Chinese cabbage, bean sprouts

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Mama noodles just cant be healthy for you,can they? plus that packet of seasoning is darn near 100% MSG....

If you want noodles why not spaghetti........Cheap and easy.....

I've thought of spaghetti before, only downside is time to prepare vs instant noodles just need hot water

14 minutes ago, EricTh said:

All instant noodles have low nutritional values and full of MSG.

You write that as if MSG were something bad.  It's a perfectly natural ingredient.  Loads of it in parmesan cheese and tomatoes, as well as loads of other tasty foodstuffs.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Oxx said:

You write that as if MSG were something bad.  It's a perfectly natural ingredient.  Loads of it in parmesan cheese and tomatoes, as well as loads of other tasty foodstuffs.

There must be millions of posts on the internet of people claiming MSG sensitivity.....Yet some people will never believe it......I can say first hand the man made MSG is Waaaaay stronger than any natural MSG....

And pretty much any soup at the supermarket is loaded with MSG especially the instant soups...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Buy rice noodles and add whatever you'd like. The small cubes of pork or chicken flavoring give it taste without adding but a few calories.

any suggestions for chicken or pork flavouring? i use the one below but it's average

IMG_20220324_161059~2.jpg

59 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

There must be millions of posts on the internet of people claiming MSG sensitivity.....Yet some people will never believe it......I can say first hand the man made MSG is Waaaaay stronger than any natural MSG....

That's ludicrous.  Why would MSG from artificial sources be any different from "natural MSG" when both are chemically identical?

And as for "millions of posts on the internet of people claiming MSG sensitivity", that may be the case, but there is absolutely zero scientific evidence for MSG sensitivity.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Plenty of fresh noodles in the refrigerated section..  But you should try a few to determine your tastes...  The dried ones are fine in a pinch...

I was looking to make both Chinese noodle soup and to make chow mein...  and successfully found an acceptable fresh noodle to meet my needs... but it took a few trys...

Edited by Saddic

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

That's where you have been tricked by the MSG producers .

Artificial MSG (Ajinomoto) is not the same as natural MSG in tomatoes. They do not taste the same too.

If you want MSG taste, then why not just eat tomatoes?

Nowadays, they even hide the word MSG in various other terms like permitted flavoring.

Is artificial leather the same as natural leather?

Is artificial rubber the same as natural rubber?

I can give many other examples.

It's all a word-play to fool the ignorant masses.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

any suggestions for chicken or pork flavouring? i use the one below but it's average

IMG_20220324_161059~2.jpg

In case you don't know, Ajinomoto is the company producing artificial MSG which is a neurotoxin.

The basis of any good soup is the stock...stay away from the bouillon cubes. Recommend making pork stock from scratch...long simmer (8-12 hours).

Add sauteed onions and minced pork for added flavor.

Consider miso as flavoring agent. Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in cold water overnight in refrigerator. Makes them gelatinous, slice thinly, cook them in broth until tender. Then add noodles boiled separately.

Use fresh noodles, consider boiling separately prior to incorporating into the stock.

Garnish with cilantro sprigs.

This is an egg drop tofu shiitake soup made with chicken stock. Very healthy.

DSCN3794.thumb.JPG.fb1dfb022ae5fd8d69767e615776427e.JPG

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Oxx said:

That's ludicrous.  Why would MSG from artificial sources be any different from "natural MSG" when both are chemically identical?

And as for "millions of posts on the internet of people claiming MSG sensitivity", that may be the case, but there is absolutely zero scientific evidence for MSG sensitivity.  

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/msg-good-or-bad#what-the-research-says

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The basis of any good soup is the stock...stay away from the bouillon cubes. Recommend making pork stock from scratch...long simmer (8-12 hours).

Add sauteed onions and minced pork for added flavor.

Consider miso as flavoring agent. Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in cold water overnight in refrigerator. Makes them gelatinous, slice thinly, cook them in broth until tender. Then add noodles boiled separately.

Use fresh noodles, consider boiling separately prior to incorporating into the stock.

Garnish with cilantro sprigs.

Sounds nice but too much effort for me, come on there must be some ready made stock that won't kill me?

1 hour ago, tgw said:

your post is both defamation and denigration, in addition to simply relaying false information.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/msg-good-or-bad

read up on the subject.

On the contrary, your post is disinformation. I don't read articles that are paid by the big companies producing MSG for profits.

I only know that taking artificial MSG gives me headaches whereas if I eat tomatoes (natural MSG), there is no side effects at all. I do eat tomatoes almost everyday.

Anyway, this is a thread on noodles and not benefits of MSG, so I won't argue anymore on this.

If you think MSG is good for you, then go ahead and consume lots of it. It's your body and not mine.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

ok so what are good alternatives?

If you want to cook yourself a quick simple meal, simple ingredients like salt & sugar, fresh vegetables, noodles should be enough.

There are some Thai chili paste that don't have MSG, you have to search for it.

If you are too lazy to cook, and if you want a tasty meal, just eat at Thai food stalls. It's not expensive at 40 baht per plate and you can ask them not to put whatever you don't want.

It's not like in western countries where dining out is an expensive affair.

Edited by EricTh

28 minutes ago, EricTh said:

On the contrary, your post is disinformation. I don't read articles that are paid by the big companies producing MSG for profits.

I only know that taking artificial MSG gives me headaches whereas if I eat tomatoes (natural MSG), there is no side effects at all. I do eat tomatoes almost everyday.

Anyway, this is a thread on noodles and not benefits of MSG, so I won't argue anymore on this.

If you think MSG is good for you, then go ahead and consume lots of it. It's your body and not mine.

as previously said, there is no chemical difference between natural and artificial MSG.

• Like 1