Noodles

scubascuba3

On 3/24/2022 at 5:14 PM, nrasmussen said:

This is MSG (monosodium glutamate): C₅H₈NO₄Na.

Please explain how the artificially made differs from the naturally occurring.

lol.

If you think it's the same , then why doesn't natural MSG like tomatoes taste the same as artificial MSG?

There are many studies done on toxicity of artificial MSG, this is just one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5938543/

Quote:

MSG has been associated with various forms of toxicity (Figure 1(Fig. 1)). MSG has been linked with obesity, metabolic disorders, Chinese Restaurant Syndrome, neurotoxic effects and detrimental effects on the reproductive organs.

Results from both animal and human studies have demonstrated that administration of even the lowest dose of MSG has toxic effects.

Edited by EricTh

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

then why doesn't natural MSG like tomatoes taste the same as artificial MSG?

The obvious answer is "it's all in your mind".  Natural and artificial MSG are chemically identical, so taste exactly the same.

However, MSG has virtually no taste.  If you put it directly on your tongue you may detect a slight saltiness, but that's it.  You really only detect it in food because it makes the dish taste better.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 2:30 PM, EricTh said:

There are fresh yellow and egg noodles in Makro which is healthier than those deep fried Mama noodles.

Mama noodles in the house for the kids and if I'm hungry for a late night snack, Makro egg noodles with my own added extras for a healthier alternative.

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

lol.

If you think it's the same , then why doesn't natural MSG like tomatoes taste the same as artificial MSG?

There are many studies done on toxicity of artificial MSG, this is just one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5938543/

Quote:

MSG has been associated with various forms of toxicity (Figure 1(Fig. 1)). MSG has been linked with obesity, metabolic disorders, Chinese Restaurant Syndrome, neurotoxic effects and detrimental effects on the reproductive organs.

Results from both animal and human studies have demonstrated that administration of even the lowest dose of MSG has toxic effects.

Just as I thought, you cannot explain what the difference is because there is none.

Why it doesn't taste the same to you? I think @Oxx has adequately explained that elsewhere in this thread.

I'm not disputing that excessive intake of MSG may be problematic (that's true of most substances), but where in the study you are referring to does it say that possible adverse health effects are specifically due to artificially produced MSG? Maybe I missed it, but as far as I can see the study is about MSG in general.

Speaking as someone who is borderline diabetic, there are very few processed foods that are not unhealthy for me. Even tomato sauce has sugar in it.

Not that it is actually tomato, many are pulped pears for bulk, with tomato concentrate added.

As far as noodles go, the only two viable alternatives are egg noodles (protein) or whole wheat durum spaghetti. IMO the rest are not going to help get my fasting sugar and HBa1C levels down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Speaking as someone who is borderline diabetic, there are very few processed foods that are not unhealthy for me. Even tomato sauce has sugar in it.

Not that it is actually tomato, many are pulped pears for bulk, with tomato concentrate added.

As far as noodles go, the only two viable alternatives are egg noodles (protein) or whole wheat durum spaghetti. IMO the rest are not going to help get my fasting sugar and HBa1C levels down.

sounds like you may be pre diabetic, out of interest have you got a low fat diet? 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The craziness continues. 

Normal tomato sauce (such as Heinz ketchup) is not made from pears.  Possibly made from pear tomatoes (a type of tomato).  Ignoring the fact that it would taste weird, pears are much more expensive than tomatoes.  Doesn't make economic sense.

Egg noodles contain small amounts of egg, and anyway, 100 g of egg contains 13 g of protein, whilst the same quantity of white flour contains 10 g.  The difference is negligible.

And neither egg noodle nor whole wheat spaghetti is going to help with your HbA1c.  Both are packed with carbs.

6 hours ago, Oxx said:

The obvious answer is "it's all in your mind".  Natural and artificial MSG are chemically identical, so taste exactly the same.

However, MSG has virtually no taste.  If you put it directly on your tongue you may detect a slight saltiness, but that's it.  You really only detect it in food because it makes the dish taste better.

Boy your wrong about this.....Once you train yourself to detect MSG,its very noticeable......MSG has a taste that's not so much a taste but a explosion of taste....

Buy one bag of plain potato chips, and one bag of flavored potato chips and compare the tastes....

Most flavored potato chips are loaded to the gills with MSG you can't miss that MSG taste explosion...

I will not eat flavored potato chips EVER....

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

The craziness continues. 

Normal tomato sauce (such as Heinz ketchup) is not made from pears.  Possibly made from pear tomatoes (a type of tomato).  Ignoring the fact that it would taste weird, pears are much more expensive than tomatoes.  Doesn't make economic sense.

Egg noodles contain small amounts of egg, and anyway, 100 g of egg contains 13 g of protein, whilst the same quantity of white flour contains 10 g.  The difference is negligible.

And neither egg noodle nor whole wheat spaghetti is going to help with your HbA1c.  Both are packed with carbs.

The smell and taste factor of pears is ethyl decadienoate, which is easily separated from pear pulp by steam distillation. In Australia, pears are usually a glut on the market every year at harvest time.

As I've seen tomato sauce made at the Rosella factory in Richmond, Victoria, it seems to make economic sense there.

A low-carb diet is not the same as a no-carb diet, there are good carbs and bad carbs. Whole wheat durum spaghetti and corn on the cob are classed as good carbs.

Because you started your post with a demeaning comment, you're on ignore now.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

sounds like you may be pre diabetic, out of interest have you got a low fat diet? 

Fats are esters of glycerol and fatty acids, they have nothing to do with blood sugar or HBa1C levels. Cholesterol and triglycerides, yes.

I have never been a big fat consumer, always discard the fat off a steak and I don't eat chicken skin.

I wouldn't say I'm on a low fat diet, but IMO I probably eat less fat than most.

There is a huge tome put out by the WHO called "Food, Nutrition and Cancer". It lists the risk factors for all human cancers. Fat consumption features quite high on the list for many cancers.

• Haha 1

I'd just get a proper packet of dry rice noodles. My daily grind is sen-lek.

If you can find fresh, soft noodles those are tasty (my pref again thin noodles). You might also look at the Japanese and Korean noodles as well.

Bah-mi egg noodles also nice and usually soft, fresh.

I do not like Mama nor the rice stick super thin noodles used in some soups and kanom-jin. Sen-yai generally too big for me for soup.

Just find a shop you like?!??! I must have a dozen near me I visit.

Something else you can do. Buy a soup packet at big C. Add an old tomato, onion, carrot. Extra meat, fresh cilantro. Don't forget the tofu. Two medium bowls full of stuff at home b100.

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Fats are esters of glycerol and fatty acids, they have nothing to do with blood sugar or HBa1C levels. Cholesterol and triglycerides, yes.

I have never been a big fat consumer, always discard the fat off a steak and I don't eat chicken skin.

I wouldn't say I'm on a low fat diet, but IMO I probably eat less fat than most.

There is a huge tome put out by the WHO called "Food, Nutrition and Cancer". It lists the risk factors for all human cancers. Fat consumption features quite high on the list for many cancers.

Interesting 4 minute video this one, cure diabetes with sugar and rice

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I really have lost count of the number of so-called medicos appearing on YouTube with all kinds of bizarre propositions.

This one was easy to pick. He referred to white sugar as dextrose.

White sugar is sucrose, a di-saccharide of glucose and fructose.

With a single word, he destroyed his credibility. About 99.8% of people would not have picked up on that.

Quack quack quack.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I really have lost count of the number of so-called medicos appearing on YouTube with all kinds of bizarre propositions.

This one was easy to pick. He referred to white sugar as dextrose.

White sugar is sucrose, a di-saccharide of glucose and fructose.

With a single word, he destroyed his credibility. About 99.8% of people would not have picked up on that.

Quack quack quack.

maybe slip of the tongue, age and all that. Confusing times for sure with people getting fatter and fatter following the wring advice

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

maybe slip of the tongue, age and all that. Confusing times for sure with people getting fatter and fatter following the wring advice

People have a choice. They can follow the science - the real deal based on evidence. Or they can follow the confirmation bias of their opinions in a quest for something that sounds easier. They go searching on the internet for anything that will validate their gut feeling. Qanon, anti-vaxxers, climate deniers - they are all cut from the same cloth. Then they join up in a wailing Greek chorus, on the basis quantity trumps quality.

Slip of the tongue, like hell. A genuine medico would not make that mistake.

The first time I visited America, I was astounded by (a) the number of obese people ( b ) the amount of food that was piled onto the plate at any restaurant.

It's been proved time and time again lab rats who are kept hungry live longer that rats that are allowed to stuff themselves. Why should we think humans are different?

The simplest advice on diet I ever got was from a works doctor. He said the best form of exercise was to push yourself away from the table before you feel full.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

How about cure diabetes with Mcdonalds and Burger king...

But seriously unrefined brown sugar is way better for people than white sugar,,,

36 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

But seriously unrefined brown sugar is way better for people than white sugar,,,

Unrefined brown sugar is not" way better for people than white sugar"- this is another plausible sounding myth.  

Both are empty calories- brown sugar contains  more calcium, iron and potassium than white sugar, but the quantities of these are so small that this would make essentially no difference at all to anyone's intake of essential nutrients.

For example see https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/brown-sugar-vs-white-sugar#nutritional-differences

"White and brown sugar contain similar calories. Brown sugarTrusted Source contains 380 calories per 100 grams (g), while white sugarTrusted Source contains 385 calories per 100 g. 

Brown sugar contains more calcium than white sugar, with 83 milligrams (mg) per 100 g compared to 1 mg per 100 g of white sugar. Equally, other minerals, such as iron, are slightly higher in brown sugar. 

However, per teaspoon, the tiny differences in these mineral amounts are not worthy of consideration, as sugar is not a nutrient-dense food. People refer to foods such as these as “empty calories.”"

or even just Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

"Although brown sugar has been touted as having health benefits ranging from soothing menstrual cramps to serving as an anti-aging skin treatment,[8] there is no nutritional basis to support brown sugar as a healthier alternative to refined sugars despite the negligible amounts of minerals in brown sugar not found in white sugar.[9]"

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, partington said:

Unrefined brown sugar is not" way better for people than white sugar"- this is another plausible sounding myth.  

Both are empty calories- brown sugar contains  more calcium iron and potassium than white sugar but the quantities of these are so small that this would make essentially no difference at all to anyone's intake of essential nutrients.

For example see https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/brown-sugar-vs-white-sugar#nutritional-differences

"White and brown sugar contain similar calories. Brown sugarTrusted Source contains 380 calories per 100 grams (g), while white sugarTrusted Source contains 385 calories per 100 g. 

Brown sugar contains more calcium than white sugar, with 83 milligrams (mg) per 100 g compared to 1 mg per 100 g of white sugar. Equally, other minerals, such as iron, are slightly higher in brown sugar. 

However, per teaspoon, the tiny differences in these mineral amounts are not worthy of consideration, as sugar is not a nutrient-dense food. People refer to foods such as these as “empty calories.”"

or even just Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

"Although brown sugar has been touted as having health benefits ranging from soothing menstrual cramps to serving as an anti-aging skin treatment,[8] there is no nutritional basis to support brown sugar as a healthier alternative to refined sugars despite the negligible amounts of minerals in brown sugar not found in white sugar.[9]"

I don't care about any of this.....Real unrefined brown sugar makes me feel better no studies needed....Try it yourself..

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I don't care about any of this.....Real unrefined brown sugar makes me feel better no studies needed....Try it yourself..

All that's wrong with the world is defined by this post.

"No evidence will be accepted - the truth is determined by my emotions."

Edited by partington
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

a perfect example of how wrong people can be, so much misinformation out there no surprise people are confused

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

a perfect example of how wrong people can be, so much misinformation out there no surprise people are confused

I am not confused at all........

I trust myself more than lab rats...

Refined white sugar makes me feel speedy in tea...Unrefined sugar does not and I just feel over-all better...

People need to listen to themselves not experts...

If MSG makes you feel bad don't eat it..

If soy makes you feel bad don't eat it

If fast food makes you feel bad don't eat it

if white sugar makes you feel bad don't eat it...

It's just that bloody simple...

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

IIRC, English was a compulsory subject when I was going through secondary school. If one did not pass, they were held back a grade.

IMO we should be doing the same with chemistry and physics, if we want to arrest the dumbing down of the human race.

2 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I am not confused at all........

I trust myself more than lab rats...

Refined white sugar makes me feel speedy in tea...Unrefined sugar does not and I just feel over-all better...

People need to listen to themselves not experts...

If MSG makes you feel bad don't eat it..

If soy makes you feel bad don't eat it

If fast food makes you feel bad don't eat it

if white sugar makes you feel bad don't eat it...

It's just that bloody simple...

White sugar and brown sugar are both sucrose.

Sure, the unrefined brown sugar may be marginally better in terms of the retained minerals it has. Perhaps it has not occurred to you the same lack of refining means it will also have herbicides and pesticides refined white sugar does not.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IIRC, English was a compulsory subject when I was going through secondary school. If one did not pass, they were held back a grade.

IMO we should be doing the same with chemistry and physics, if we want to arrest the dumbing down of the human race.

Scientists/experts should get together and agree nutrition facts, right now we have some saying one thing and some saying the opposite and the world is getting fatter and type 2 diabetes ever increasing

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Scientists/experts should get together and agree nutrition facts, right now we have some saying one thing and some saying the opposite and the world is getting fatter and type 2 diabetes ever increasing

There is confirmation bias, and denial bias. The first means any new fact or information that fits in with your own opinions or desires is accepted, the second means anything that clashes with those beliefs is automatically rejected. See Trump supporters.

Who wouldn't like a diet where one could consume as much fat and sugar as they wanted?

The gold standard of validation for any medication or diet is double-blind testing of a statistically significant population of people, peer-reviewed and then shown to be reproducible. It takes time, in this age people want instant solutions.

Most of the quacks appearing on Youtube don't even get to the first stage, let alone peer review and replication.

All I need is a bookshelf behind me, a couple of BS certificates, and  a teleprompter, and I could join their ranks.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:28 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I'll check Friendship out

I also took a look whilst I was at Big C.

Knorr Natural cubes: https://www.knorr.com/th/knorr-products/natural/natural-chicken-cube-60g.html 39 baht

Knorr Natural Powder 70 grams: 17 baht

Care Choice Seasoning Powder 30 grams: https://www.innovationthailand.org/en/project-detail/Care-Choice-Seasoning-powder-from-vegetables 20 baht

All claim No MSG.