Songkran a test if COVID-19 can become endemic in Thailand, says hospital dean

snoop1130

รดน้ำสงกรานต์.jpg

The Songkran festival in mid-April will determine whether the COVID-19 pandemic, which has wrought havoc for more than two years, will gradually transform into an endemic disease in Thailand after the easing of numerous restrictions, said Prof. Dr. Prasit Watanapa, dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital.

He noted that many people are expected to return to their homes in upcountry provinces and many others are expected to travel across provinces during the long break, resulting in more social interactions and group activities.

During last year’s Songkran, he said that the COVID-19 situation worsened, adding, however, that the significant difference between last year and this is that more people have been vaccinated and, though the Omicron variant is spreading faster than previous strains, it is less potent than previously dominant strains such as Delta.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/songkran-a-test-if-covid-19-can-become-endemic-in-thailand-says-hospital-dean/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-03-23

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

During last year’s Songkran, he said that the COVID-19 situation worsened, adding, however, that the significant difference between last year and this is that more people have been vaccinated and,

Vaccinated or not, at the moment I have more people around where I live infected and hauled off somewhere than when Delta was here.

Just this week 3 families withing 200 metres of me have gone into isolation [not at home]

• Like 1

it's already decided that endemic from 1st July. No matter what.

Songkran is going on in a full swing, same as the new year celebrations 3 months ago - with subsequent wave, which cancelled the chinese new year.

No matter how covid will be called, nothing prevents virus from coming in waves, just local or global.

The last year thailand had 4 waves, with 2-3 overlapping and lasting from April to October.

Thailand won't be at forefront of vax drive, with second quality vax and unequal distribution due to shortages, but thai society learned it's lesson about importance of hygiene and many measures will stay, by the force of self-discipline.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Vaccinated or not, at the moment I have more people around where I live infected and hauled off somewhere than when Delta was here.

Just this week 3 families withing 200 metres of me have gone into isolation [not at home]

Same where I live, somebody should think twice before having Songkran craziness this year.

• Like 1