Budget language teacher - Thai to English in Pattaya

nomad2019

My partner's English is better than most ladies I have met throughout my years in Pattaya hello .... Although still has a lot to learn.    I have drum that into her4 years now that she must learn English good English if she is the come and live in Europe UK or Ireland.      

So it has come to a head and I've give her an ultimatum because the UK knowledge of land test is not an easy test for a thai,.     I have heard that some farangs have had difficulty with this test.

So does anyone know a language teacher in the party area who can give her at 2 months course or whatever on budget of course

thank you in advance

7 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

yes ,  what would you do.  mr walkover ????

I live and work legally in Thailand, speak Thai (and 4 other languages). Have a wife who owns a couple of businesses. We have discussions and decide things together.

Edited by FritsSikkink

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously she must be motivated.

Is she motivated?

Because it should be easy for her to find a teacher who she likes if that is what she wants.

So maybe she is not motivated to do what you want... 

Or maybe it's hubby who is planning the whole thing and wifey has to just comply with his directives/decisions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Or maybe it's hubby who is planning the whole thing and wifey has to just comply with his directives/decisions. 

Yes, and maybe he will find a teacher, and maybe the teacher won't be successful. And I am sure his solution will be: Look for another teacher. But maybe that is not the problem... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I got mine to attend The Fountain of Life, (Naklua soi 25), more of a classroom environment, perhaps not suited to your needs. But fits the 'budget' approach.

But also possibly more productive.

One on one can be suitable/productive for some people.

However a classroom (ideally not more than say 15 total students) situation can be more productive, especially if the teacher knows how to plan and implement continuous practice situations*, ensuring the practice does happen and all students take part. The reality is of course that not too many teachers can do this. And especially where the 'English' teacher is not really a teacher at all and is not interested in a professional pedagogy.

(*I've watched mass practice sessions in China, very productive:

- Teacher puts a simple sentence, in  English, up on a very large screen.

- Next scree: under each English word the Chinese character(s) appear under each English word.

- Teachers face and lips appear on screen with camera deliberately picking up the teahcers mouth and lip movements to highlight pronunciation.

Sentence repeated many times, including a session where each English word is repeated several times with very clear pronunciation.

Now teacher gives an instruction (already known to the stduent) and students are now in pairs facing each other.

Teacher very clearly says a sentence/a phrase sentence several times.

Then a signal for one of the students in each pair to verbalize the sentence/phrase, maybe 5 times. Then other person in the pair verbalizes the sentence/phrase several tiem.

Then a signal for the students to quickly move a little to change the pairs, then above repeated many times,.

Then, in one session I observed the students changed position so that they are in 2 lines with faces in opposite directions*, then one line starts to move slowly and each student in the moving line verbalizes the same sentence/phrase as they pass by each students in the line which is not moving.

(*the configuration of the student positions is shown on the big screen so confusion is

minimized and the verbal practice continues quickly, avoiding boring downtime while the

teacher sorts out the lines etc. Also 2 or 3 assistants watching and carefully/quickly fixing

any confusion.) 

confusion quickly, all very friendly.)

And more configurations.

Later the situation changed to a small question sentence ; 'What is your name please?', with the other person in the pair answering 'My name is Xi'. The all repeated several time with each person in the pair swapping roles questioner to answer person.

I also noted that each seesion was a toal of 90 minutes with several breaks. And the first 15 minutes was repeated practice of past sessions.

It works, it's fun and productive. The hesitance (fear) to speak is overcome very quickly.