No increase for Thai based UK Pensioners: vote here to get this changed

webfact

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

That´s just to much to pay for such bad ROI. There are far better ways to secure a higher income. At the same time you do not know how long you will live and use it. With you own investment, and a death sentence of 4 month left to live you could at least use your money that invested to get.

It's a <deleted> shoot. Of course the pension one receives will be higher as it will have been cost of living adjusted.....maybe for many decades. The government also do not know how long you will live...... could be 20 years of receiving the pension, or not make it even. (They put  up the qualifying age a few years ago)..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, why not! But, then you would have to pay tax in the country you chose to reside instead. Like normal tax rules, right?

WHY? I am spending all my money here.....isn't that your gripe with expat pensioners......I actually spent 1.7 million baht last week.......how much do you want?

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

That shows your lack of knowledge.

Even though wee are retired.

Even though we paid taxes during out working lives.

Even though we saved and invested  for the future - we pay taxes on those savings and investments - even now.

No, definitely no lack of knowledge here. Just a little bit more intelligence and common sense compared to the general average.

Yes
You should pay income tax
If one saved and invested, and not were dumb, then one do not need to complain about pension now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Soooo wrong sunshine.

Many of us are injecting money into the country.

It is called income tax!

Just because we live overseas, do not assume that we live 'tax free'.

Not any sunshine to you.

That´s good, keep doing that and complaining. hehe

As I said, the investment option was better. Makes you can have a complaint free life.

• Confused 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

Did that, my UK wife got nearly all of it when she divorced me.

I'd have been better off living off the state.

That´s just bad agreement with your wife. Don´t blame her for that. It´s totally your fault. Have to protect your assets better.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

WHY? I am spending all my money here.....isn't that your gripe with expat pensioners......I actually spent 1.7 million baht last week.......how much do you want?

Yes, but if you have an income of money in some country, you must also pay income tax in the country of residence or according to a tax treaty. Unless you live in a tax haven, like UAE and about 13 other countries in the world.

Even if you send 1,7 million here or in your home country, you do that for something you want, right. And, you do it with already taxed money unless it´s trough a company formation.

Edited by Gottfrid

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

Just get an address and phone number in Philippines. Ring DWP and let them know you've moved and when. Job done.

Gosh, didn't realise that it was that simple.  May we use your address and phone number there?

Anyone changing location from Thailand to PI without a PI bank account also is going to be looked at very closely!

Have you got any other simple, "job done" financial recommendations that we could have a look at?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

So, make the effort and please add your name, and share this article so more can sign

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/601821 

A complete waste of time but should be done anyway by those affected. 

The argument has been kicking around for decades and a favourable change in the rules will never be made.   

So far they're only 91,000+ signatures short of a parliamentary consideration of a  discussion so don't start thinking about what you're going to spend your increase on just yet! 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Why should we not get equal rights? Pensioners living abroad are less of a strain on the National Health (not using the services of G.Ps., emergency services etc.), in most cases having to fund health care including care homes privately

I Know it Stinks to high Heaven We from Aus get a couple Meagre pension increase twice per year .

But in the UK they might think if you don't spend your money in the UK you get F, All and Nothing. Sorry I hope you can get them to change their stupid mind.

2 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

keep an address in the UK.  simple

Had a similar problem with fake  info for income related to extensions of stay and embassies not notarising same. That turned out well did it not?

I guess what you are suggesting is illegal or could lead to problems for those who "do it right"?

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The argument has been kicking around for decades and a favourable change in the rules will never be made.   

So far they're only 91,000+ signatures short of a parliamentary consideration of a  discussion so don't start thinking about what you're going to spend your increase on just yet! 

Before there was not the power of social media, if everybody posts the links via twitter etc it could really gain traction, maybe!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Worked 40 years paying tax & NI.  Still pay tax but my State pension is 350 UKP per MONTH!

Less than mine which I thought was bad, must have been taking your pension for 15-16 years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I agree. I'll add my name but this matter has already been submitted to the European Courts who astonishingly found in favour of the U.K. government. The most that will happen is a question will be asked in the House which will be quickly swatted away. 

• Like 2

I thought Thailand was full of sophisticated Englishmen who did really well during their working years so they don't have to whine, cry and rely on petty government pension.

Oh wait.....

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I thought Thailand was full of sophisticated Englishmen who did really well during their working years so they don't have to whine, cry and rely on petty government pension.

Oh wait.....

This is not about the value of the pension, it's about equality.  When it comes to State Pensions the U.K. pension is poor compared to many other European countries.