No increase for Thai based UK Pensioners: vote here to get this changed

webfact

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

Done ????

Although the article headline is rather sensationalist and implies that Thai expats are singled out. This has always been the case for emigrant pensioners unless it was to another EC country - not sure if that has now changed?

EEA, Switzerland and others, some nice spots to choose from amongst them.

• Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Gibraltar
  • Guernsey
  • the Isle of Man
  • Israel
  • Jamaica
  • Jersey
  • Kosovo
  • Mauritius
  • Montenegro
  • North Macedonia
  • the Philippines
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • USA

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

The country does NOT 

'give it to them' . It is not a 'benefit' as its been paid for, during ones working lives.

It depends on how you look at it. You can also see it as it´s money coming from taxes you paid on income during your life. As for what I know about taxes, it´s the governments decision to use the state coffers as suitable. In that case you are given a pension and should be happy for that.

There is another option in life, and that is to save and invest, for building a great stability.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well you won't be getting it if you have not paid the NHI 'stamp' and it will be reduced if you haven't paid it for sufficient qualifying years. You can theoretically get the pension if you have paid no tax. For a person like myself, working outside UK and not subjected to UK taxation, paying the NHI stamp was touted as a good investment. 

Sounds like rules and regulations for most countries regarding the time of working. About the stamp, I don´t know, but as you post, sounds like a good investment if you can get more out of it. ???? 

8 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Sounds like rules and regulations for most countries regarding the time of working. About the stamp, I don´t know, but as you post, sounds like a good investment if you can get more out of it. ???? 

In the early years the cost was relatively low, but more recently the stamp has become more expensive for a non resident worker, called a Class 3. It was recently about £15.40/week, you had to pay every week, for a currently £179/week pension. Minimum 10 years to get a pension, prorate up to 35 years (I think) for the full pension.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Just to skip the petition. Sure, British pensioners are not a strain on health care or other services. However, they neither inject their money in the country that gives it to them. So, there we have the reason. And then, crying about a raise of 5,55 pound per week? That´s not very sophisticated. That´s not to be called a raise. Such things are know under the name of weekly disgraces.

I could (sort of) understand it if they blocked all external counties for increases but to give it to places like the USA, Philippines !!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

....and no longer a burden on the NHS and not claiming any other benefits.....like free travel, warm home allowance, winter fuel allowance BUT still paying UK tax on any other earnings like rental income, company pensions.......it is daylight ******* robbery.

very true

• Like 2

Just get an address and phone number in Philippines. Ring DWP and let them know you've moved and when. Job done.

HM gov will never change their stance. It's been all the way to the EU court of Human rights and back. Dead horse I'm afraid.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

So you would agree wholeheartedly UK expats should not be paying UK income tax.....correct???

Yes, why not! But, then you would have to pay tax in the country you chose to reside instead. Like normal tax rules, right?

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

I could (sort of) understand it if they blocked all external counties for increases but to give it to places like the USA, Philippines !!!

Yes, that´s totally wrong. I agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

In the early years the cost was relatively low, but more recently the stamp has become more expensive for a non resident worker, called a Class 3. It was recently about £15.40/week, you had to pay every week, for a currently £179/week pension. Minimum 10 years to get a pension, prorate up to 35 years (I think) for the full pension.

That´s just to much to pay for such bad ROI. There are far better ways to secure a higher income. At the same time you do not know how long you will live and use it. With you own investment, and a death sentence of 4 month left to live you could at least use your money that invested to get.