No increase for Thai based UK Pensioners: vote here to get this changed

webfact

32 minutes ago, hughrection said:

Like what for example?

Invest 60 GBP a month into what exactly to give you a livable return in say 15 years from now!

Just try Bitcoin when it was new.

Edited by Gottfrid

This is like the yanks whingeing because thier embassy wouldnt immediately airlift doses of mrna vaccines ro vaccinate them during early  covid days.

Heres the bottom line. If you want all the benefits of living wherever your home country happens to be. Dont become an expat. Not hard.

Once you never longer live in your home country obviously you forfeit any benefits that come along with that. 

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

There is another option in life, and that is to save and invest, for building a great stability.

I have just had 3 insurance policies maturer,two  I started saving when I was about 18-20 ,the money is sat in a bank earning 0.5-0.75% interest with inflation now almost 7 % how are you to build for a great stability.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I paid NI contributions for 44 years and my state pension is £399 every 4 weeks.

The full new State Pension is £179.60 per week i.e. £718.40 every 4 weeks, and you have paid for more than the qualifying number of years - there is a reason that you are not getting the full amount, and I'm sure that you know what it is!

But at least you seem to realise that the state pension is entirely funded by NI contributions and nothing to do with income tax - and that is why you no longer pay NI once you reach state pension age.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kickstart said:

I have just had 3 insurance policies maturer,two  I started saving when I was about 18-20 ,the money is sat in a bank earning 0.5-0.75% interest with inflation now almost 7 % how are you to build for a great stability.

I have a private pension that I have not yet needed to touch - in the year to 18th September last year it grew by 9.81%!

I also own my property outright and since I bought it in October 2019 it has increased in value by over 40%.

I am not wealthy - I had always earned just slightly over the average wage, but I listened when it was drummed into me to buy a property and a private pension. I appreciate that many could not afford to do this, but many simply did not plan for retirement.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Or you  should have brought shares in Apple,Telsa,Google Facebook ,when they were new.

Who was to know that they were going to grow to what they are today .

Like the guy in the early,early days of the internet ,he got website addresses ending in sex.com,sat on them and then sold them as the internet grew .

If we all had a crystal   ball, we would not be sat here .

Oooh, such great fantasies. What I did was take an obvious example. Imagine how many good choices there is before you just chose the bad ones.

32 minutes ago, kickstart said:

You can´t! But when did you find that out. Today? 5 Years ago or right after you started? Or did you just believe without checking anything and complain later?

This is shocking and a disgrace. I have worked and paid Tax and NI This is not a hand out but funds due that have been paid in over the years and interest gained. So, let me get this straight Old Boris and pals can get a pay rise million wasted on scams e.g. Nightingale Hospital and the rest but no money for the aged if you happen to live in another country? What has that got to do with it? 5 million a day spent on illegals coming in on boats from France, well we allow it so they get away with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Not necessarily correct.

I paid NI contributions for 44 years and my state pension is £399 every 4 weeks.

The pension that you get today takes into account of how much NI contributions you paid in and the date when you retire. 

I paid in for 44 years and I retired in 2009 so my pension is frozen at the 2009 rate anyone who retires before 5th April will get less than someone who retires on 10th April as that is in the new tax year.

Sure, but depends on your salary. I suppose you paid to NI only the Minimum.

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Gosh, didn't realise that it was that simple.  May we use your address and phone number there?

Anyone changing location from Thailand to PI without a PI bank account also is going to be looked at very closely!

Have you got any other simple, "job done" financial recommendations that we could have a look at?

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Your statement re  Philippines bank account is complete nonsense. And why couldn't you get your own residency details sorted? There's nothing wrong with my suggestion. Fly out to the Philippines and check it out. As you admit, signing a petition that's been turned down on multiple occasions is just a head banging exercise. How about you coming up with some suggestions? Or just leave the job undone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I thought the only way to increase basic state pension from the UK was to defer taking it?

Certainly that is one way, I know someone who deferred it at 65 or 66 until 70, and receives a larger amount. 

13 hours ago, Thailand said:

Less than mine which I thought was bad, must have been taking your pension for 15-16 years?

I'm pushing 80 so 15 yrs in October. Pensionable age keeps going up. (Isn't it 68? now?)  No mention of the millions saved when Covid ravaged unchecked through Care Homes.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, London Lowf said:

The full new State Pension is £179.60 per week i.e. £718.40 every 4 weeks, and you have paid for more than the qualifying number of years - there is a reason that you are not getting the full amount,

When you move to Thailand, your pension is frozen at that sum.  I have lived here 15 years after my 65th birthday so I receive the weekly rate current in that year (- 2007?)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Thailand said:

What are the other ways?

By paying the full 35 years required is all I can think of. You can pay missed years if below that ... but only up to 6 years late I think it is.

At least life is cheaper here (so I keep being told) so the even in the worst case the 200 baht wont bother too much. I get the principle of it is the issue to you not the fiscal amount? 

Or you  should have brought shares in Apple,Telsa,Google Facebook ,when they were new.

One forgets that back in the day of theses companies above. In my country and many others countries one was not allowed or could not get to buy them or trade with the USA Share markets back in the day. I was at the time active in share trading in New Zealand and they then did not have the facilities to trade over seas the first country one could came later and that was Australia. So only the USA people living over here in Thailand that missed the boat have them selves to blame for the missed opportunity. Just saying:)

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

I paid in for 44 years and I retired in 2009 so my pension is frozen at the 2009 rate anyone who retires before 5th April will get less than someone who retires on 10th April as that is in the new tax year.

1 hour ago, Whale said:

At least life is cheaper here (so I keep being told) so the even in the worst case the 200 baht wont bother too much. I get the principle of it is the issue to you not the fiscal amount? 

@billd766 gets 400 GBP every 4 weeks after paying 44 years NI (2009 state pension age 65).

I get 700 GBP every 4 weeks after paying 40 years NI (2022 state pension age 66).

So it's a little more than 200bht ............... seems unfair @billd766 gets less than me.

Edited by BritManToo