Tourism and Sports Ministry to propose “Thailand Pass” cancellation and introduce single ATK test to spur tourism growth

webfact

14 minutes ago, superal said:

is it that there are so many fake test certs around that only on arrival test will be authentic when conducted by Thai clinicians ?

According to this, Could be:

Phuket officials alarmed by number of tourists testing positive on arrival

Published on  Friday, February 4, 2022

Officials on the holiday island of Phuket have expressed alarm at the number of foreign tourists testing positive on arrival and are pointing the finger at allegedly fake results from pre-departure PCR tests. Deputy governor Pichet Panapong raised the issue during a call with the CCSA, in which he urged the government’s Covid-19 task force to improve screening measures for overseas arrivals.

“False Covid-19 RT-PCR test results are assumed to have something to do with the sharp rise in the number of post-arrival positive tests among tourists.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-thailand/cv19-phuket/phuket-officials-alarmed-by-number-of-tourists-testing-positive-on-arrival

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kimamey said:

Yes it was expensive but I don't think it applies now. I think now you can quarantine at home which would be free. Or maybe you need to isolate at all. 

No need to isolate at all now. All restrictions have been lifted in the UK. The only restriction left is compulsory wearing of masks in hospitals and medical centres and no visitors for hospital inpatients.. Residential and nursing homes for the elderly will allow 1 visitor per resident who must be the same person each time. The focus is on protecting the sick and the vulnerable elderly. People over 70 will receive a 2nd booster (4th dose of vaccine) in a couple of weeks time, along with people under 70 who are classed as possibly immune compromised (clinically vulnerable). I am amongst the clinically vulnerable, I expect to have had 5 doses of covid vaccine (,there will be another dose available in October in combination with the flu vaccine)  by the time in return to Thailand in November. I really don't think UK citizens are a risk to Thailand

• Thanks 1

Revoke the Thailand Pass on 1 April and not 1 June. June is too far away.

Just do a quick ATK on arrival. If positive, you have to pay the hospital expenses yourself.

Covid insurance is a ripoff because most are tested negative.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, RobU said:

No need to isolate at all now. All restrictions have been lifted in the UK. The only restriction left is compulsory wearing of masks in hospitals and medical centres and no visitors for hospital inpatients.. Residential and nursing homes for the elderly will allow 1 visitor per resident who must be the same person each time. The focus is on protecting the sick and the vulnerable elderly. People over 70 will receive a 2nd booster (4th dose of vaccine) in a couple of weeks time, along with people under 70 who are classed as possibly immune compromised (clinically vulnerable). I am amongst the clinically vulnerable, I expect to have had 5 doses of covid vaccine (,there will be another dose available in October in combination with the flu vaccine)  by the time in return to Thailand in November. I really don't think UK citizens are a risk to Thailand

I believe the 4th booster is for over 75s and those aged over 12 with immunosuppressed must be 6 months after the previous booster but it doe start this spring

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

, the minister suggested that ATK testing should still be conducted on the first day of arrival for public confidence or that the test could be optional but encouraged.

For my own confidence,  I will not come back then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just hope that by October or for sure December, that most of this stuff will be in the past, and the next

high season will be more successful than this year has been. The newest variant seems to be

very contagious as well. Lots of my relatives and friends are getting sick from it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, daejung said:

For my own confidence,  I will not come back then.

Sadly you can choose to make your own life miserable and limit your experiences. I arrived back in Thailand today under test & go for 3rd time since November 2021. Sure it's a hassle but are you really happier in your mom's basement than here in Thailand?

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Haha 1

A long time coming if it happens and I might miss it by hours, but if it doesn’t, I’d be happy with the current testing procedure but the gov being honourable and footing the bill for any enforced hospitalisations. It is on them with that ridiculous, dubious policy. Treat the sick by all means. If not sick and they put them away, they should pay! Idiots. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

A long time coming if it happens and I might miss it by hours, but if it doesn’t, I’d be happy with the current testing procedure but the gov being honourable and footing the bill for any enforced hospitalisations. It is on them with that ridiculous, dubious policy. Treat the sick by all means. If not sick and they put them away, they should pay! Idiots. 

Sorry but you are dreaming. Govt will not slaughter the cash cow.

• Like 2

They just can't give it up.

It's a political battle between the government crony kickbackers and the tourism industry.

Those with their hands on the COVID cash flow / stream simply will not give it up.

This test is bound to involve a one night stay, covid taxis, hospital admin ATK test and insurance + electronic documents PLUS normal vida hassles.

They just need to LET IT GO.

Maybe the Tourism Minister could give them a slice of the b300 mystery fee going into his pocket??

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, shdmn said:

Unvaccinated people are the only ones who should be required to buy covid insurance. 

Why? Oh, right... people that are vaccinated never get covid.

Vaccinated people never spread COVID-19.

Like my in-laws... vaccinated. Covid twice.

Genius

Edited by TheScience

Probably wrong which normally I am but I think Thailand will open up sooner than expected,first we have a call from the tourist bodies to scrap the Thai pass  and the other regulations now the tourist Minister echoes their wishes next senario will be the leader forming a committee to discuss scrapping it all,this way saving face and bringing happiness to the people. I think Thailand is missing the foreign currency also bank debt is rising and are being downgraded. Just my two bobs worth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heybuz said:

Probably wrong which normally I am but I think Thailand will open up sooner than expected,first we have a call from the tourist bodies to scrap the Thai pass  and the other regulations now the tourist Minister echoes their wishes next senario will be the leader forming a committee to discuss scrapping it all,this way saving face and bringing happiness to the people. I think Thailand is missing the foreign currency also bank debt is rising and are being downgraded. Just my two bobs worth.

You have to pay the piper even if it ruins the economy.

When I lived in Cambodia I saw a guy walk away from fully funding a school because he had to pay the kleptocrats. The free school didn't get started. Too many grabbing hands demanding cash for doing the job they themselves could not.

Make no mistake. This is a battle of competing economic interests and has nothing to do with health. To complicate matters you have the fact that covid decrees have been used as a political weapon and continue to do so.

Interesting about the banks. Tourism won't fix that. Neither will retirees. It will take a sound economy. But the puppet masters will break the nation before giving up income stream.

2014 promised cleanest government ever. It's been downhill ever since.

Only people dying if covid ever were those with co-morbities. Now, omicron...same but of 22500 recorded 50 deaths. As TV always noted...death rates on the roads always exceeded that but government non plussed. Even after wreckless deaths. Truth is Thai government doesn't care about the common folk.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 12:13 AM, Fairynuff said:

Testing is the biggest deterrent to international travel on a cost basis.

Germany €25
UK £60

Thailand 3000 THB

Tourists aren’t interested in costly restrictions and Thailand will lose out to the rest of Asia as they ditch their restrictions more quickly.

Germany ☝️

PCR)
 • Test duration: approx. 2 minutes
 • Cost: 69 euros
 • Test result: You can call up your result on the evening of the following day at www.pcrresult.de.  You will receive an email as soon as your result is ready for retrieval.  As a rule, the results are between 18:00 - approx. 22:00

52 minutes ago, 1Baht said:

Germany ☝️

PCR)
 • Test duration: approx. 2 minutes
 • Cost: 69 euros
 • Test result: You can call up your result on the evening of the following day at www.pcrresult.de.  You will receive an email as soon as your result is ready for retrieval.  As a rule, the results are between 18:00 - approx. 22:00

555 and here you have broken apps run thru Line which compromised personal data and information. Took weeks if not months to get them online as well. Then they were kicked to the curb as worthless, especially for foreigners because they were ... worthless.

10 hours ago, TheScience said:

Why? Oh, right... people that are vaccinated never get covid.

Vaccinated people never spread COVID-19.

Like my in-laws... vaccinated. Covid twice.

Genius

Handle checks out.....ironically speaking.

Edited by shdmn

As said before once thais see the MONEY going to other countries things will change

they have this idea ALL tourists are busting to get in.......reality disagrees....

Their beloved free spending chinese arent coming ....reality continues to set in

as thais grudgingly chip away at the restrictions and the well runs bone dry...

and now the russians aint coming or are stuck with no cash flow.....

If all you remember is "money#1" as a mindset..thais will observe and follow, as its already happening..sloooowly....

• Like 1