Tourism and Sports Ministry to propose “Thailand Pass” cancellation and introduce single ATK test to spur tourism growth

webfact

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I am not looking for an argument, but some time ago the UK was offering hotel quarantine for UK arrivals, and from all reports, it was very expensive and awful..... 

True to a certain extent as it was only applicable to travellers from countries that were on the red list? The main difference to Thailand being that you knew what you were in for and not sprung on you upon arrival by a PCR test that was amplified way more than the rest of the civilised world, possibly picking up previous infections whilst you were no longer a danger?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shdmn said:

It's endemic. Get rid of everything.  EVERYTHING!  The science no longer supports any of these dumb policies.  It's all politically driven now.

Diseases that are endemic also require measures to handle them and minimize impact.....we are only a mutation away from further grief. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Its "with" Covid and quiet logical as Omicron woes around. But with very minor consequence. So i would not talk about conspiracy but more of scaremongering.

Of those being admitted to hospital it is approximately 60% because of Covid, and 40% with Covid (and other issues). But both still require special attention and isolation and treatments that eats up  hospital resources. With 2000+ a day and rising in the UK, this is a concern for all needing medical treatment. 

Has the West backed off too soon on this....?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Wonder how many of the missing 87% are Chinese, who are absent because of their own country's restrictions. Everybody knows what is best in an improving situation.....

Probably very few. Mainland Chinese were not a huge part of tourists traveling TO or THROUGH Changi airport ever.  What do you think a 7 day vacation to Thailand vs Singapore would cost them? Have you seen the prices at 7/11 in Singapore? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My nephew has been to school for approximately two weeks over the past year and there is no still no word on his school reopening. So yes, Covid in any form appears to be rampant except in official figures, That. or the government doesn't want kids educated. It's a toss-up which is correct. Probably both.

We are in the North of Chiang Mai Province and our daughter has been in the same situation at a non government school.

She managed to get back a few weeks ago and we got a call at lunch time to collect her as a teacher tested positive.

There seem to plenty of Omicron cases but from the people we know who have contracted it, the symptoms are like the common cold.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My nephew has been to school for approximately two weeks over the past year and there is no still no word on his school reopening. So yes, Covid in any form appears to be rampant except in official figures, That. or the government doesn't want kids educated. It's a toss-up which is correct. Probably both.

yep educated people scare the government..keep em in the jungle ..control..control

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Probably very few. Mainland Chinese were not a huge part of tourists traveling TO or THROUGH Changi airport ever.  What do you think a 7 day vacation to Thailand vs Singapore would cost them? Have you seen the prices at 7/11 in Singapore? 

There are some cheaper options in Singapore, I ended up in one or two of them myself until I learned better... and the breakfast buffet was like a free for all! Isn't there a few budget carriers involved there too, with a special terminal? Quite a lot of flights used to go to/from Changi to China...

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I am not looking for an argument, but some time ago the UK was offering hotel quarantine for UK arrivals, and from all reports, it was very expensive and awful..... 

Yes it was expensive but I don't think it applies now. I think now you can quarantine at home which would be free. Or maybe you need to isolate at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Yes it was expensive but I don't think it applies now. I think now you can quarantine at home which would be free. Or maybe you need to isolate at all. 

Of course, it was not permitted back then. Just highlighting the fact that it isn't Thailand that had the idea. Plus the reports I saw of the UK version were very negative.

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Of course, it was not permitted back then. Just highlighting the fact that it isn't Thailand that had the idea. Plus the reports I saw of the UK version were very negative.

I never had to do it so I couldn't comment on what it was like. It was expensive to start with and then it got worse but I don't know why. 

I've stayed in loads of hotels but mostly for 1 or 2 nights. I'm not sure how I'd cope for a longer period plus not being able to go out at all. I suspect the rooms would be pretty small in the UK. 

I've just done the Thailand Pass day 1 Hotel stay and that was OK.  I arrived at 9am so after arriving at the hotel before 10 and having the test it was the rest of the day and overnight. Not bad at all but then sleeping was my main focus. 

26 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Tell the millions upon millions of people who avoided getting seriously sick from covid by gettting vaccinated ............ASSUMPTION!!!!!!

Keep believing if its giving you a good feeling.

I think you'll find there is a lot of scientific research showing that vaccines help lessen the risk of serious illness, deaths and transmission.

If you want to take no notice of that fine.  Keep believing if its giving you a good feeling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dialemco said:

Reinstatement of unrestricted entry into the country and extension of visa exemption to 60 days would encourage some international tourists but rising inflation and war in Ukraine will restriction numbers willing and able to travel.  Tourism will not return to prepandemic levels any time soon so incentives are required as the gravy train will not be returning.

I agree. Tourism isn't going to return to the form it was for some years, and that's a global issue not unique to Thailand.

But, Thailand is unlikely to just throw open the doors, despite the dismayed shouts from Brits and others wanting a holiday. Asia has followed a conservative approach to varying degrees. Ultimately, this is where the tourism recovery will come from, not from the west. As that starts, Thailand will need to demonstrate it is responsible and can facilitate at least a nod to the concept of safe travel, effective or not.

We declare 26k cases a day right now. Anyone here will tell you it's way more and going to get worse. The Minister for Health needs to be seen to be in control, after all an election is coming. The eyes are on the bigger prizes, no matter what daily announcement is from the Minister of Tourism, Lottery numbers and fantasies.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, pomchop said:

FACT to all except the tin hat brigade.

Unvaccinated people are about 29 times more likely to be hospitalized with Covid-19 than those who are fully vaccinated, according to a CDC study released Tuesday.

• The new study also found that unvaccinated people were nearly five times more likely to be infected with Covid than vaccinated people.
  • The data is in line with comments from federal and state health officials, who have been saying for weeks that millions of unvaccinated Americans have been putting themselves at serious risk.