Police admit to crashing helicopter in NE Thailand - deputy regional commander slightly injured

webfact

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

" Police admit" sound like they were trying to cover it up but finally admitted that they crushed the helicopter, what a Micky mouse army....

Helicopters are notoriously expensive to operate.

Probably just going for a joyride.

Screenshot_20220326-201315_Google.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yep it can not fly very far unless they find those rotor blades and straighten them out. Wonder what the Tail Rotor looks like.  Any helicopter crash you can walk away from is a good day for those on board.

It will certainly need 4 new rotor blades, a new tail cone complete, the engine and rotor gearbox will need a complete strip down and rebuild, and that is just for starters.

Without knowing the age of the airframe and the number of landings, I would class it as category #4 repairable by the manufacturer, or cat #5 BER, Beyond Economical Repair, for salvage and scrap.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2022 at 4:06 PM, BKKBike09 said:

Likely wind was a major contributing factor: hot conditions, close to/at Max AUW (all those generals and their medals are heavy) so little spare power to play with, unexpected crosswind gust puts one skid on the ground and bingo, dynamic rollover.

Just my two cents.

Could be.  I spent 45 years flying helicopters before retiring.  One thing that people don't talk about much is Missionitis.  Pressure to impress your boss or superiors by completing the mission and maybe doing it with a bit of style and flair....  You know: that high speed low level and very tight turn just before coming to a hover over your intended touchdown point.  Throw in a little LTE (loss of tail rotor effectiveness) and maybe a little Ring Vortex State (falling through) in close proximity to the planet and you end up with a picture just like the one in the article.  Given how young people seem to drive here I'm not surprised that there might be a bit of carry over to aviation.  Could be as simple as a downwind approach with a high sink rate.  Pulling pitch to slow your descent often makes it breathtakingly faster with no room to recover.  Thing is, when you go flying a helicopter there are lots of opportunities to break things.