Police admit to crashing helicopter in NE Thailand - deputy regional commander slightly injured

webfact

To be honest any number of things could have gone wrong. In almost all helicopter accidents anything you can walk away from is a winner. Probably will be a write off but they will be able to salvage quite a few usable parts I should imagine. Not sure how this has anything to do with the cops wife who got her old man into trouble last year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Helicopters are quite susceptible to wind gusts when they are close to the ground. Even a very skilled pilot can be caught out and it only takes the tip of one rotor blade to hit the ground and down it comes.

Luckily they are usually low speed accidents so the survival rate is quite high.

And NO sir. It will not be back on the line by Monday.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Aren't they a wright off after this type of incident 

Looks in poor condition 

IMG_20220326_084832.jpg

Yep it can not fly very far unless they find those rotor blades and straighten them out. Wonder what the Tail Rotor looks like.  Any helicopter crash you can walk away from is a good day for those on board.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

But it was a MIcro Sleep Burst, Caught the pilot of guard.....how in the hell can you not know it was windy......

No report from ATC prior to landing, and no wind sock, and a pilot who needs to go back to training school?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

But the wind did it.

Likely wind was a major contributing factor: hot conditions, close to/at Max AUW (all those generals and their medals are heavy) so little spare power to play with, unexpected crosswind gust puts one skid on the ground and bingo, dynamic rollover.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Helicopters are quite susceptible to wind gusts when they are close to the ground. Even a very skilled pilot can be caught out and it only takes the tip of one rotor blade to hit the ground and down it comes.

Luckily they are usually low speed accidents so the survival rate is quite high.

I spent some 25 years in the off shore/remote oil industry. TTF I didn't have to rely on some pilot who was not trained on how to handle an unpredictable wind condition.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bdenner said:

I spent some 25 years in the off shore/remote oil industry. TTF I didn't have to rely on some pilot who was not trained on how to handle an unpredictable wind condition.

It has to said, they, along with S & R pilots are amongst the best of the best. But you do need the conditions both to train in and to gain experience in. I doubt whether such conditions would be found here in Thailand very often. 

When it comes to flying, experience is everything.

• Like 1