Thailand slides down the happiness index - but personal relationships and mutual respect remains strong

webfact

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

I've never seen a post in Morse code before, that's amazing!

Har Har !!! Yes !!!  .... !!! ... I hope things Improve. ... I at least did not get the Virus by Drinking with our CV Positive Truck Drivers in the Family !!! But others dis !!  And I only had the Hang Over !!! Right. ...

And yes Good Mr. Roostrr   if the Village women are sugrdting a return for your wife before your mother in Law's potential death !!! ... I woukd believe them !!! ... Like the Old ladies around here always used to lay odds on when their terminal ill family and friends were going to Die !!! Like to the day !!! ... And Rose coloured Glasses, "always look on the up side" me !!! ... Learnt pretty fast not to bet against them !!! ..  As well !!! They used to know pretty well I think. ... and did not pull their bets. ... and were always with in a day or so pretty well !!! 

“But personal relationships and mutual respect remain strong”. 

Except when they venture into traffic, then all bets are off, there is no mutual respect there at all, on the contrary. 
I also wonder if there is true mutual respect in Thailand, or is it just social norm? In Thai society, people are taught from very early on that your social status depends on two things: money and power. You have to grovel to anyone higher up the ladder, and you can treat anyone lower on the ladder like sh*t, that’s pretty much how it works. I don’t think ‘mutual respect’ has a lot to do with that. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

Except when they venture into traffic, then all bets are off, there is no mutual respect there at all, on the contrary. 
I also wonder if there is true mutual respect in Thailand, or is it just social norm? In Thai society, people are taught from very early on that your social status depends on two things: money and power. You have to grovel to anyone higher up the ladder, and you can treat anyone lower on the ladder like sh*t, that’s pretty much how it works. I don’t think ‘mutual respect’ has a lot to do with that. 

Rubbish !!! Every one here has their place and Ruel one, Poor People have to make a living Prevails !!! Like know rich people who just hate having them blocking up all of the footpaths in the Capital !!! BUT they quite decently say "They all have to be able to make a Living" and all of my Rich ! and Poor friends DO live like this !!! ... Possibly the area of society that you ended up in Might be a chronic Greed basket Place ??? (Like you chose your self, to be in that part of it I would guess ???) .... But after 40 Years here I think that You, and these people that you have ended up with ! are very much in the Minority !!! and the general society is a LOT more free and also Intelligent that you might like to give them credit for !!!

• Confused 1

Rooster !!!! .... I hope that you are still writing your Column Rooster !!! … !!!!!

Like the most important thing about it !!! Is that after all of this time !!! You are   still here !!! ... And so is your Column. ... No need to go on.

Reality !

Very good luck with the Family and a trip back up to Loe !!!    I have been there and yes !!! Real Northern Esan and +++ on that.

Loei or well, Chang Khan

(An American Girl in the hostel said "Oh Wow ! … I was the only one on the bus" which was a laugh, as another American bloke picked her up on it straight away !!! …. Asking her about the 58 other Thais on it ??? Right. ?)

... I was young back then but got the great humor of that statement and incident, Right away, …  and have remembered that one always ... as ... an evening with the back packers, ….  in Loei ! .. Well Chang Khan now that I Google mapped it !!!

... That place further up ? Right on the Mekong. ... (The river that was there, before the Whiskey was ! Right !!!) ...

Yes eagerly awaiting your next piece .!!! And well if I get stupid, just pull it and just say ... "A Post has removed due to being Stupid." ...Right ???

Here and Now. ...

… Like life is NOT easy after all !!! ... and well now these times, with the China Virus !!! ... and the just totally out of control dictators, taking full advantage of it  !!! ... And here in Thailand !!! ... I think that things are just starting to get really !!! Really !!! Bad. 

Thailand

… The impending credit crunch for the poor is the next thing ! ? I think when 50% of the working population gets sick ! … Or just quarantined ?... As they are just about the only ones getting tested ! ? ???  ... And the companies stop paying them all ... as they are not working, …  when Quarantined or sick !!! 

Where I live.

I am surrounded by Trick Drivers and IT Production Line, female line operators, and workers, and well Some have been doing it for a very long time and are quite Obviously very VERY good at it also, well, as well as being Quiet controlled, hardworking Disciplined and the Pillars of our society also ( Q : “So What do you do with all of the Mother Boards, Ore, that you test and they do not work” ??? … A : “I fix them” !!! ) ….  (So Hmmm, I think ? I am glad that I did not get one of them in my PC ! ??? ) Continuation “So how long do they last” ??? (A : they are guaranteed for usual 1 to maybe 3 Years ??? … But do not quite me on that !!! Right ???)…. …..

… Like for me it is just them, …and the Teachers who Look after our Children !!! … When the Schools are open any way !!! …

… Well any way, things are better here as it is a Boots on the ground, Non Tourist area, which has Abundant Clean water and a Huge and Willing work force, and the Intelligence that goes with it !!! …….

Tourism.

… BUT, Nationally And well just the REAL total down side, of having just so ...SOOO Soooooo !!! much of your economy dependent on Tourism !!! ...(I think ?) This Is ? WAS ! the greatest down side of Thai society I think !!! … Like what would anyone think if 26% of the GDP came from selling Heroin ??? … They would not be pleased I am sure, and it would not be tolerated !!! … So wellbeing the “Destination” for millions of People who do not even know, or live here, or care about the place ! Or even care about Asians in general !!! …. For 26% of you GDP ??? ??? … And now that ARE paying for letting that happen !!!  I am sure !!!

… I hope that Tourism does not come back to it’s Peaks ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD !!! … and we all just start learning of how to just Live ..Properly !!! … Where we are !!! (Like to get rid of a few Dictators might help in this also ???)

Trink the Trink Nuff Said.

... So any way, …. Rooster !!! Bernard Trinks Nezabith ??? …. “Ruffle the Rooster Nuff Says” Right ???  …. Well No you ARE two different People !!! and that is for sure !!! …. I just hope that YOU keep on writing !!! …. Like you always HAVE been writing.  ….

Yes, just keep on writing about it !!! All of the just <Deleted> Unfolding around us now !!! … And how You are going to handle it !!! …. And Loi ?  This is your Job. ... just politely and Passively.

And every one should … Easily sold on UK, Banter, and Idiom ones like me, “A bit of the ? Patter ???” …. or the thinkers also !!! and the Critics !!! … SHOULD all just Love and Support you also. Like a breath of fresh air ON Sundays.

… You have your Place Mate !!! Just keep on Writing. Make it shorter if things are tough !!! and well I think you will get just Huge !!! HUGE support !!! from the Real Boots on the Ground, Human People !!! Like ME, …and many others (Even if I am dyslexic and write in Morse Coad Right ?

Just an aside !!! ...

… Well I did have a practical Boots on the Ground Technical education after all any way … Like maybe I write like I am oscillating between the Geoid and Spheroid !!! Right !!! ???? …. (And Oh my God did I make a bit out of that …like it set me up for Life) … The Geoid, Spheroid and Ellipsoid !!! and humanities age old contest, Of How to express them all on a Flat Surface !!! …. Like a map !!! so that they could use them !!! …

So there you Go Egg Heads !!! a 3D computer model of the Erath’s Surface ? …. For Practical everyday use !!! …. That few everyday people will ever Understand, Or be able to use ??? …But do not worry about that !!! Jeff Byrsos (Or how ever you pronounce that guys name ???) will understand it right ??? …….  Woops, getting off topic am I ??? Just take it out. …

Scrabble, and proper English Language ?

(What ever that is ? Right ..Mate ??? ... I actually Like Jordie the best my Self, ...  liek it says something !!! .... But well you can not beat the West Country Dialec,

(Like one of my Knob Thai friends Full Blood Thai daughter went to school out there, and Oh My God !!! You should just hear her speaking English Now !!! .... She is Like a beautifully, Dark and friendly, Princess !!! .... Straight out of the Vicker of Dibley's Church board meeting !!! ... ) 

And Ps. I do not do Scrabble or proper English writing as well, I cannot spell !!! Like just naturally not at all ...

My Father was a head master and then a Principle Education Regional inspector, … And the pillar of Society !!! also !!! … So well an almost Impossible task set for me to fowl !!! ….  and I CAN tell you that one thing !!! for sure !!!   ... So well I might just be being defiant ? Right ??? ...Or Just using, Geography, Surveying, and Data management, and then physical … Computer Mouse Operated tasks these days) … On line marine operations, … Which well, … Just comes from all of the rest of that any way, …

... But  I do think of things more Geographically !!! ….. And well some people even  all me Dyslexic !!! ... Though well ? I do not think it is that ! ? ... But well ??? It probably IS just something else !!!

Good luck in Loei Rooster. And +++ !!! … On That !!! Very Good Luck !!! Mate.

Mark Smith -BangPaHarn, Country side, (what is left)  Near Ayutthaya. (While I still Can.)

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Ponlamai said:

so where's the next episode? Sunday and still no week that was. RU OK??

.... And I second that Mate !!! Just hand in there Mate !!! WE ALL are doing it Tough Mate !!! (And me for over 2 <Deleted> Years now !!!)

21 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Rubbish !!! Every one here has their place and Ruel one, Poor People have to make a living Prevails !!! Like know rich people who just hate having them blocking up all of the footpaths in the Capital !!! BUT they quite decently say "They all have to be able to make a Living" and all of my Rich ! and Poor friends DO live like this !!! ... Possibly the area of society that you ended up in Might be a chronic Greed basket Place ??? (Like you chose your self, to be in that part of it I would guess ???) .... But after 40 Years here I think that You, and these people that you have ended up with ! are very much in the Minority !!! and the general society is a LOT more free and also Intelligent that you might like to give them credit for !!!

Have no idea what you’re on, dude, but your rant makes absolutely no sense.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Rubish again Rudi. ... Look around the country as a Whole, not just the small group of people that it sounds like you were Unlucky enough to end up with !!! ...

Well you obviously chose them, the Money and that Class <Deleted's> .... maybe that is what you wanted ? maybe you thought that you might get something out of them ? ....  or well Loose Less ???  .... ...  Though as a Guy who has always lived with Poor People, I can say that probably for sure, you will just Loose More !!! ... As you Post seems to indicate.

Sorry Mate I drive a very nice and good car, on the Thai Roads every day !!! (And I drove fast motor bikes for 30 Years before that) ... and I find them the most Courteous drivers I have even driven with, Australians might Grudgingly let you in !!! ... But Thais nearly always do it, as a positive Social Group action !!!  .... Every one needs a Job, they all need Money, and they also all need to be able to putt out in to traffic on the roads also !!! .... And I just love driving here !!!

(I do drive in Central Thailand though, and near Ayutthaya, and not in Pattaya admittedly ???) ... But with Intelligent and thinking People !!! ... Well they DO drive a bit to fast, and with their own rules, but they are easier to learn and well I now like driving here better then I like driving in Australia, as I find the rules more Practical and Believable for all. It is a it fast I guess though ??? ..... Like it Is NOT a good system for keeping the Old Aged people Independent and driving !!! ....

Like put 200 90 year old pensioners, like my Mother out here !!! and well !!! I would guess that it would not work out to well !!! .... Like my old Scottish back ground Mum, abusing them for not driving slow enough ? or breaking the rules !!! ... as they cut her out of the wreckage !!!  ???)

... And well with the Buddhist "Re borne" lack of safety margined in just about all cases !!! ... Well it is Crowded here !!! ...

But my Family men are nearly all Truck drivers, so well when I have to pass a truck ? OR LET ONE IN also !!! Like poor men !!! Just trying to make a living !!! (Not just villain's, out to make any White men's Driving lives that they see, Hell !!! Right ? ) ... They all that I have met !!! Are Good men !!! .... And well one of them that I am over taking !!! .... might just be one of my family member also. ?

Like they do 14 Hr shifts you know, with a bit of a sleep, in the Pick up and drop off Depots !!! while they wait, .... ... and mostly the companies, give them a set among of fuel, and if they drive slowly, like most of them do they then can keep the left over portion, and sell it to the Agricultural sector right !!! ? and at a good price for every one !!! ... And make a lot more for them selves, .... And, also they now do drive nice and slowly !!! ... Which is why most ??? of the Companies do, do it this way ???

But if they have an accident that is there fault, like run in to the back of another truck  (Possibly while asleep ???) ... Then they have to pay for the Damage I think ? ... Which IS really pretty tough on them Really !!! ....  Like if you Live !!! .... Then you have to pay several months salary .... for the Damage ???)

... And moving on, socially I have NOT seen ANY of the Class Bias and aggression that you mentioned here AT ALL !!! Rich people just keep away from the Poor ...for obvious reasons !!! Like, so that they can not ask to borrow aby thing off of them, as Friendship here requires that you do give you friends things, ... if they do need them !!! ..... Hence Rich People here, ? .... do not have Poor friends !!! Just for that reason.

And the two classes BOTH have their positions, and as far as I can see here in the Central Country side .. The Rich do NOT screw the Poor, well other than capitalizing on their work, ....  but well !!! that is International now and not just here. ...

Yes I think that You probably have just ended up with the wrong group of people !!! Maybe in the wrong spot ??? .... and I am sorry for that Mate. And you should have thought about it a bit better before you made your decision ??? ... And i AM very sorry for you and will just shut up now, ... But, ...BUT Please PLEASE ! .... Do not bad mouth every one else in this country !!!   ... Particularly hard working Poor, AND Rich People !!! .... Just because You made the wrong decision ??? And sorry about that.

Mark mark

Edited by Mark mark
Better and Kinder also I hope.

Ps. Why is it that any one who just tries to tell the truth !!! and write Frankly !!! is always accused of being on Drugs ? or something else ? Like THIS is a pretty bad Indictment of these Peoples View of their own societies !!! ??? Or their own experiences in them I guess ??? .... Why can't I just be an Honest person who is just trying to tell the truth !!! ??? ... Why do I just Have to be ... "On Drugs" ???? 

Thank you, and thanks for sharing your story as well. Such is life, a never ending story, with plenty of ups and downs. Remember the ups and just learn from the downs. It really is all we can do. I hope you can return to Thailand someday, and if you are in Chiang Mai, give me a ring. LINE fun2balive

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 2:59 PM, Noah K said:

Thank you, and thanks for sharing your story as well. Such is life, a never ending story, with plenty of ups and downs. Remember the ups and just learn from the downs. It really is all we can do. I hope you can return to Thailand someday, and if you are in Chiang Mai, give me a ring. LINE fun2balive

Yes, Rooster ! ... Where Are You !!! ??? ...

Well, I (Mark mark) am back in Thailand, … (And missing the Rooster Column like many others I would say)

But, well, I got my Booster Jab, and then hit the Thai Pass situation ASAP after 1 Oct was it ? last Year, though well did not make the SIA flight until 11 Jan. Huge Ques at the testing stations in Australia, before the flight, but their system worked well if you paid the ? $140 AUD for the Guaranteed International certificate. …. Still it WAS a Hassle, but when I got here in to Thailand it was a Breeze !!! and well organized and very Easy I thought, stayed that the Idle Residence at Petum Thani pretty near to here, in Ayutthaya Province, North of BKK. ... and they were Very organized, and it was a pretty great rest after the flight Really. !!!

… Got an Infection d/t the Drunken welcome home party, when my 5 year old Great grand sone stabbing me in the foot ! ... While playing Boys will be Boys !!! Sword Fighting !!! (Which I have now succeeded in Reducing in him !!! ... Like  "Kit, ... Kit" (Think !!! Think !!!) .... and He DOES get it !!! Like a very smart Boy that one !!!  ... But me having type 2 Diabetes, and possibly even Omicron at that time also !!! …. The infection went in to my Leg, !!!  Like NASTY and +++ on That !!! Like VERY Nasty !!! ... So 2.5 days in Ratchtanee hospital in Ayutthaya. A reasonable Just check right in, Private Hospital. Who DID fix it all up very well in 2.5 Days.

Any way it was a test for my You Butte Luma Tune Insurance Policy, and they actually Paid me for the 2.5 days in Hospital d/t the Infection, But well, .... Let’s fix it up in Casualty ! Mark mark, ... a bit Earlier next time !!!   for next to nothing, next time Right !!!! … And then no need to claim on my simply Visa oriented Insurance Policy. ???

But ! ... it was a good test !!! And to note that an Online, No questions asked, NO PRE EXISTING Conditions, ... and you pay, then we review, …  and then ? might actually pay you back ? ! Insurance Policy DID WORK !!!  …. Like I got all of my Initial investment back, but well, now at 67 I have to keep my Fingers crossed next Year, when I try to renew it, so as to get my visa renewed, that they WILL renew it for me.

(The Immigration dept. just said to me, a Police Captain nick name "Ling" (Monkey) so please never say that Thai's do not have a sense of Humor !!! Right ?) .... The easiest Option (For them I guess ??? ) was to Leave Thailand, and then return on a Tourist Visa, and then convert it to an O visa at the Airport you arrive in ??? JFYI ... But, I still hope to go for Luma Tune Insurance, and an OA if I can, .... for more certainty, I hope.

(The problem with the O visa is still with a Multiple entry, is still getting back in to Thailand with it I think ? Like I do not know ? But would not mind betting that you still would only get stamped in, for the period that you had the Health Insurance for ? at the Border, .... Liek that is what they did to me with my Thai Pass in January, .... Though well, I got 2 months extra that way, ..This Time !!!! any way ???)

… So, Yes !!! …. So WHERE ARE YOU ROOSTER !!! !!!!  .... Our Nesmith of Bernard Trink !!! …. Only better, if you Like UK Idiom, and a bit of the Good old English Patter !!!

… Still I did see you ??? (Did I ?) just getting more and More Jaded, by the just Incredibly <Deleted> China Virus, that STILL is causing just SOOOO many people in the world Trouble !!! … And still a LOT of Trouble !, if now not death so much d/t the less lethal nature of Omicron, but more disruption d/t it’s highly infectious nature !!! And every one elding up off work all around the world. !!! Unless their dictators decide to have a war ? Right ??? 

... As now the Dictators and Corrupt Leaders are all taking advantage of it all over the world, to Cease Power, that otherwise they would not have been able to !!! ... Ho Hum !!!! .... The worst disaster since WWII ???? 

…. ROOOOSTTTERRRR !!!! Where are YOU !!! ??? (To well note this all for us all ???) ???

Edited by Mark mark
Spelling

Well I think just Briefly ...My self ! ? ... That Rooster is not Writing ! ...  .!!! Because he does not want to write.

Like I could not blame him !!! Things now are just so badly <deleted> up !!! Every where !!! D/t the China Virus !!! .And there is just nothing that any of us can do about it. 

And well "ASIA NOW" Where the he'll did all that pap <deleted> ! and Smokescreen come from ??? ...  no more good old Boys mouthing off any more !!! ??? After havimg a few !!!! And well just quite honestly trying to deal with it all. ...

Time to look sor a new forum I think ????? ...