Can A Farang Inherit a Condo Listed In a Thai's Name

In the event that my long term Thai partner predeceases me can I inherit our condo listed in her name?   I do not have a Thai Company.  No kids.  Is there a provision in the law that a farang can inherit but then must quickly sell the condo.  

Also OK would be if I had use of the condo until my eventual demise and then the condo could revert to other Thai family members.

What is the best way to accomplish my objective of not losing our condo if she dies first because I am not a Thai national?

If there are other Thai family members -when your wife dies -then her assets pass to them.

If there were no family members at the point of your wife's death -then the condo passes to you for a limited period-i.e. 12 months. The condo has to be sold to a Thai during that 12 month period.

In such circumstances you may be able to transfer the asset to a Thai company ,which you have  control of.

If you inherited a house-then using the company route is  unlikely to be  a useful outcome-from your point of view.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Delight said:

If there were no family members at the point of your wife's death -then the condo passes to you for a limited period-i.e. 12 months. The condo has to be sold to a Thai during that 12 month period.

But foreigners can own their own condo in 49% cases? Why must the sale go to a Thai?

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

But foreigners can own their own condo in 49% cases? Why must the sale go to a Thai?

It's not part of a foreign quota.  We could form a Thai company but that would incur fees every year and I am quite likely to predecease her.

Edited by shortstop2
  • Like 1

1) Statutory heirs Thailand

Chapter 2: Division into Portions Between Several Classes and Degrees of Statutory Heirs

Section 1629. Classes of Statutory Heirs

There are only six classes of statutory heir and subject to the provisions of Section 1630 paragraph 2, each class is entitled to inherit in the following order:

1. descendants;
  2. parents;
  3. brothers and sisters of full blood;
  4. brothers and sisters of half blood;
  5. grandparents;
  6. uncles and aunts.

The surviving spouse is also a statutory heir, subject to the special provisions of Section 1635.

2) Statutory Inheritance 1620-1628

3) Inheritance laws

• Like 1