Moving To Pattaya - (shipping Help Please)

pattayapete69

Hi All,

I am moving out to Pattaya sometime in the next 6-8 weeks, and am considering shipping some bits and pieces out from the UK. Does anyone know of a company or has dealt with this who can offer some advice please.

I am also going to be doing a TEFL course, any suggestions on the best schools to enrol with?

Many Thanks

I can't help with specifics on any company, but there is a SCAM to watch out for if shipping... and I used a supposedly reputable farang company with farang workers here. When my shipment arrived, I was told there was some snag at customs... they told me that just to put some fear into me. I was shipping personal possessions, so there shouldn't have been any or much duty at all. Anyway, the farang calls me back and says I have to pay about 20,000 baht for customs. He gives me a computer printed receipt from his company showing 20,XXX baht due. I asked him, "but where is the printed receipt FROM THAI CUSTOMS showing that amount is due", and of course there was none. Basically, there was nothing to pay, it was simply a phony receipt they printed up on their letterhead. I'm sure you can imagine what I did: I paid the extortion cause I wanted my stuff NOW... not much else I could do. I knew I was being cheated.

I don't want to "out" the company, as lack of proof isn't really proof... but I just knew i was being cheated... the only think I can say about the crooks who cheated me: Dublin is lovely this time of year, isn't it!

Hi All,

I am moving out to Pattaya sometime in the next 6-8 weeks, and am considering shipping some bits and pieces out from the UK. Does anyone know of a company or has dealt with this who can offer some advice please.

I am also going to be doing a TEFL course, any suggestions on the best schools to enrol with?

Many Thanks

TEFL - text and talk for my money, they offices in phuket, bangkok and pattaya http://www.langserv.com

East-West shipping send a email to [email protected], they do a lot of this stuff, get a quote from them

Hi All,

Many Thanks

Have a look at this website . I found them after I had already shipped my things to Thailand so I haven't used them but they certainly look much better than any other shipping company I could find when I was looking.

Hi All,

Many Thanks

I'm in a very similar position - got the house in UK under offer as we speak :o

Any info gratefully received - Pattayapete if you'd like to PM me maybe we can help each other out?

Mike

I asked him, "but where is the printed receipt FROM THAI CUSTOMS showing that amount is due", and of course there was none. Basically, there was nothing to pay, it was simply a phony receipt they printed up on their letterhead. I'm sure you can imagine what I did: I paid the extortion cause I wanted my stuff NOW... not much else I could do. I knew I was being cheated.

I understand your feelings here, but isn't it possible the shipping company was being totally honest and customs was extorting the money and so did not want to give a receipt?

• 2 weeks later...
I can't help with specifics on any company, but there is a SCAM to watch out for if shipping... and I used a supposedly reputable farang company with farang workers here. When my shipment arrived, I was told there was some snag at customs... they told me that just to put some fear into me. I was shipping personal possessions, so there shouldn't have been any or much duty at all. Anyway, the farang calls me back and says I have to pay about 20,000 baht for customs. He gives me a computer printed receipt from his company showing 20,XXX baht due. I asked him, "but where is the printed receipt FROM THAI CUSTOMS showing that amount is due", and of course there was none. Basically, there was nothing to pay, it was simply a phony receipt they printed up on their letterhead. I'm sure you can imagine what I did: I paid the extortion cause I wanted my stuff NOW... not much else I could do. I knew I was being cheated.

I don't want to "out" the company, as lack of proof isn't really proof... but I just knew i was being cheated... the only think I can say about the crooks who cheated me: Dublin is lovely this time of year, isn't it!

If you are moving to Thailand and have a retirement visa you are allowed to import up to 1 container (20ft or 40ft) or LCL (less than a container load) duty free with your personal items (furniture, clothing, tv, fridge, etc). You will need a detailed list of everything you're shipping. Electronics need serial and model number, furniture needs dimension etc etc. My advice is to contact a local (thai) freight and customs agent first and get all the details. Good luck.

If you are moving to Thailand and have a retirement visa you are allowed to import up to 1 container (20ft or 40ft) or LCL (less than a container load) duty free with your personal items (furniture, clothing, tv, fridge, etc). You will need a detailed list of everything you're shipping. Electronics need serial and model number, furniture needs dimension etc etc. My advice is to contact a local (thai) freight and customs agent first and get all the details. Good luck.

Have a look at http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

Not surprised that Thai Customs don't give receipts for under the table payments..

I have seen this often stated in some posts and then contradicted by others. The latter say that any such allowance is restricted to thai or thai wives returning to thailand. What is the definitive position?

I have seen this often stated in some posts and then contradicted by others. The latter say that any such allowance is restricted to thai or thai wives returning to thailand. What is the definitive position?

Click the link on post #11 - the one above yours. It is very informative. And shows how restrictive the import allowance is. You will need expert advice on the paperwork in order to qualify for the benefits of tax-exemption on your household goods.

ok, once again:

First off, those regulations change from time to time and whatever was a correct advise last year might be wrong today.

At present, only returning citizens, holders of diplomatic passports and holders of work permits can import personnel effects duty free. Conditions apply. Anybody else has to pay duties without exception.

You can feel free to discuss your individual case with me by PM. :o

cheers

raro

Hi All,

Many Thanks

i have very resently imported some of my personal possessions .The company i used was based in manchester & they done a very good job.I was conned at this end by a shipping company & i would strongley recomend that you go to customs yourself to collect the shipment.Someone else warned you about a company he used & i think i used the same one & got ripped off

You might want to check and see if there is a Thai shipping company operating in the UK somewhere. Don't know if the Thai community in UK has published a Thai Yellow pages but you might check at some of the local Thai markets or restaurants.

When I moved from the US I used a Thai company in Los Angeles and have no regrets because all went as promised with no extra charges on delivery.