Shabu shop hits back with defamation threat against complaining customer

webfact

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I don't understand. Surely if you order and pay for food, you leave whatever you want. It's yours! Unless of course (seems strange) you just pay for the slices of meat you eat. Did they finish a normal order and then order an extra portion of meat, which they then refused to eat? This seems the more likely explanation.

Wow...another one.

No...read again. All you can eat. Whatever you eat, is included in the fixed price you pay. There are usually signs indicating that excessive wastage will incur an extra charge.

So take what you can eat. Hard for some to comprehend it seems.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I don't understand. Surely if you order and pay for food, you leave whatever you want. It's yours! Unless of course (seems strange) you just pay for the slices of meat you eat. Did they finish a normal order and then order an extra portion of meat, which they then refused to eat? This seems the more likely explanation.

there's no such thing as a "normal order" at these joints. there's big trays of fresh(?) meat and you take your plate to the tray and fill it up then cook it yourself at your table. if you pile 10 kg on your plate then don't eat it all the restaurant can impose a penalty (as stated clearly on the menu or around the restaurant).

"how can they do this?" ... TIT

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

They are.

Shabu, Moo krata...they are ubiquitous in Thailand. A very pleasant experience it can be. For me it like having a barbecue in the garden, but someone else cleans up the mess. I leave a generous tip for the staff.

"They are"

So you have been to every little hamlet, or small village in Thailand? If not, then don't exaggerate! 

(If you say "almost everywhere" then fair comment!)

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

there's no such thing as a "normal order" at these joints. there's big trays of fresh(?) meat and you take your plate to the tray and fill it up then cook it yourself at your table. if you pile 10 kg on your plate then don't eat it all the restaurant can impose a penalty (as stated clearly on the menu or around the restaurant).

Now THAT I will agree with!

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

"They are"

So you have been to every little hamlet, or small village in Thailand? If not, then don't exaggerate! 

(If you say "almost everywhere" then fair comment!)

That was why i asked where you lived, not that i really care. But they are so common i am just genuinely suprised. I even thought you might have passed them unknowingly. That was mainly why i asked. Im seriously shocked.

Not of course if you live in some small hamlet and never go out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David T Pike said:

In certain restaurants I have found where I had to leave 1/3 of the meat that was served due toi all the gristle, fat and cartilage (they call if soft bone and love it!). Most Thais chow down on that stuff  but I will not eat it and most Farangs don't either. If they didn't want that junk thrown away then they should have trimmed it and served it to those who WOULD eat it or to the pigs or dogs where it belongs. ????

They would not charge you for leaving, gristle, fat and cartilage....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, robblok said:

That was why i asked where you lived, not that i really care. But they are so common i am just genuinely suprised. I even thought you might have passed them unknowingly. That was mainly why i asked. Im seriously shocked.

Not of course if you live in some small hamlet and never go out. 

"That was why i asked where you lived, not that i really care."

There you go again with the attitude problem!

"Im seriously shocked." Easily shocked then?

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If this is one of those places where you help yourself to the raw ingredients and then you overload your plate and don't eat what you have taken, the restaurant has every right to fine you,

And those terms are probably in the small print,

Not small print at all.  Every Thai "All you can eat" BBQ or seafood or hot pot restaurant I have ever been to has had easily visible and obvious signs posted stating that diners can be assessed fines for uneaten food and sauces.  The policy is clear: "Take all you want but eat what you take"

There is never any need to take huge portions of anything as you can go back and get more as many times as you wish, as long as you then eat it.

Even in my military service days, you could be put on report for leaving uneaten large quantities of food that you had initially loaded on your tray.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sambum said:

"That was why i asked where you lived, not that i really care."

There you go again with the attitude problem!

"Im seriously shocked." Easily shocked then?

He, in this case, does not appear to have a problem with his attitude. You on the other hand....

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You don't recognise your behaviour as being pedantic, even childish? Your refusal to even mention the province in which you reside already marked you out as being argumentative for the sake of it.

Maybe I am, but certain posters ask for it with their pompous, arrogant style of posting!

5 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

He, in this case, does not appear to have a problem with his attitude. You on the other hand....

See above! (And I note that you say "In this case" implying that at other times............?)

Anyway, this is all getting a bit out of hand, so I am prepared to admit that there are many Shabu restaurants all over the country, but I don't like getting talked down to in the way that certain posters make a habit of doing, but that is my last word on the subject - if you or anyone else really wants to have the last word - go ahead - have a nice day!

Edited by sambum

Just now, sambum said:

See below!

tracker1's post is below yours. What is there to see?

Seriously, take a break for some fresh air. You appear to be getting wound up over nothing. Bullying other posters because of your perception of their style of posting is not on.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, David T Pike said:

In certain restaurants I have found where I had to leave 1/3 of the meat that was served due to all the gristle, fat and cartilage (they call if soft bone and love it!) in it. Most Thais chow down on that stuff  but I will not eat it and most Farangs don't either. If they didn't want that junk thrown away then they should have trimmed it and served it to those who WOULD eat it or to the pigs or dogs where it belongs. ????

hmm...if the Thais love it then why should the restaurant trim it down as presumably Thais are the bulk of their clientele? best to adapt to the local way of doing things than constantly kicking against the pricks as the saying goes.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sambum said:

See above! (And I note that you say "In this case" implying that at othewr times............?)

Why would i not be wrong other times ???? Cant be right all the time. I can be quite combative but now your far more combative. The reason I stated that i dont't care is that i don't want to invade your privacy. 

These restaurants are so common i was just surprised. Not just me others too. 

7 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

tracker1's post is below yours. What is there to see?

Seriously, take a break for some fresh air. You appear to be getting wound up over nothing. Bullying other posters because of your perception of their style of posting is not on.

My apologies - Sorry - posted in error and replaced with another post!

8 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Wife just explained......it was an all you can eat buffet.

The morons pile all the food up on their plates, but don't or can't eat it all.....so it goes to waste....hence the fine.

Seems fair to me.

Very fair, people die because they have no food, and this di**heads wasting food

• Like 2

I think the idea of charging more for children over a specified height is fair. Growing children can consume a lot of food, sometimes more than an average adult. The food goes to provide the energy and mass for growth.  Boys especially. 

It's analogous to me travelling on a plane. Airlines charge by weight for luggage but not for passengers. (The heavier the load, the more fuel is consumed) Why does the 20 stone (280lb) woman who takes up 2 seats only pay the same amount as the 8 stone (112lb) young woman in the next seat?

• Like 1

Completely agree with the restaurant. Have seen way too much food go to waste at such places because people's eyes are bigger than their bellies. That having been said, I find it sad that they feel the need to pull the old "we'll sue you" card. Can't any of these people negotiate? Both parties are acting like teenagers, posting this on social media. 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I don't think many restaurant staff appreciate being told that the food served is not up to a good standard, so their response would not be in their script.

We went to a restaurant in Phuket a couple of weeks ago, an international franchise which boasts American food along with rock music.

I ordered a steak, which cost a tad over 1,750 Baht, when the server came and asked if everything was ok, my response that it was probably the worst steak I'd ever been served, and held up the steak which was just fat and grissle, she looked like a rabbit stuck in a cars headlights, to lighten things I added that "the broccli was nice though", there was a big smile on her face and a "thank you", and off she went.

I do have some sympathy for restaurant when diners who overfill their plates at these sort or outlets, especially when they don't eat all they've taken, but I'm sure it's costed into the price they charge.

I don't believe that threatening to sue disgruntled diners for defamation is a particularly good business model.

Threatening customers is probably not the best way to get repeat customers.

If it had bee me I would probably asked for a "doggie bag".