Shabu shop hits back with defamation threat against complaining customer

webfact

9 hours ago, Seismic said:

I do not understand. they pay one price. If they eat all the food its OK. but if they do not eat all the food then they are fined?, its utter nonsense.

How so..... if they eat all the food, they took what they needed, if they do not, they took more than they needed and caused waste! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

Freedom of contract doesn't necessarily mean you can put whatever terms and conditions you like; contract and commercial laws may forbid certain practices.

I suggest you read more carefully before throwing a tantrum.

No Tantrum thrown Sir, it is your misbelief in what a contract is if the items have not been paid for yet and the fine print would lay it out...try again.  Contract law does not apply to a food establishment.  However, I would say for your point that you yourself should sign a contract upon entering the establishment and then it might be enforceable in regards to all codes and covenants as long as you read all of the fine print unlike Charlie in the Chocolate Factory.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

You can fight any terms in a court. And freedom of contract doesn't necessarily mean you can put whatever terms and conditions you like; contract and commercial laws may forbid certain practices.

Of course you can fight any conditions, however if they are reasonable ((like these are) your just wasting money. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, Will B Good said:

Wife just explained......it was an all you can eat buffet.

The morons pile all the food up on their plates, but don't or can't eat it all.....so it goes to waste....hence the fine.

Seems fair to me.

I don't know the full details of this but I think it's fairly common in places like this to fine if you take a lot of food you don't eat. I think Hot Pot do it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, David T Pike said:

My point exactly! This restaurant did exactly that!!!!

Quote: "They complained the meat was gristly"

Sounds to me like they were just looking for a way out of the 'fine'

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 5:27 PM, Lemsta69 said:

hmm...if the Thais love it then why should the restaurant trim it down as presumably Thais are the bulk of their clientele? best to adapt to the local way of doing things than constantly kicking against the pricks as the saying goes.

What? Just because Thai's love to eat fat, gristle and "soft bone" that is not going to make me feel obligated to do the same! ( I prefer to eat healthy and keep my cholesterol to a minimum) If you lived in a country where all the locals tattooed their entire bodies or put plates into their lips and ears would you follow suit just to adapt to the local ways or would you "kick against the pricks"? ????

FYI I love durian, red chili's, malang tod and kai khao. ????

9 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Quote: "They complained the meat was gristly"

Sounds to me like they were just looking for a way out of the 'fine'

Your right. Would you want to pay a fine for the parts of a gristle marbled piece of meat you left behind?

6 minutes ago, David T Pike said:

Your right. Would you want to pay a fine for the parts of a gristle marbled piece of meat you left behind?

Fair enough....if the meat genuinely was full of gristle......do we know that it was?

On 3/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, Will B Good said:

Wife just explained......it was an all you can eat buffet.

The morons pile all the food up on their plates, but don't or can't eat it all.....so it goes to waste....hence the fine.

Seems fair to me.

Absolutely fair. If they can fine 'em, that's great. Can't do that in the USA.

I felt bad for a Chinese buffet in San Antonio, Texas, obesity capital of the USA, if not the world.

Last place on earth you'd want to open up an all-you-can-eat place.

Eating there years ago, I'd see pigs wolf down chicken, and later look both ways, then dump even more food into a bag they'd stuffed in their purse. Evil people.

Lasted less than a year. Owners declared bankruptcy.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Reposed said:

Absolutely fair. If they can fine 'em, that's great. Can't do that in the USA.

I felt bad for a Chinese buffet in San Antonio, Texas, obesity capital of the USA, if not the world.

Last place on earth you'd want to open up an all-you-can-eat place.

Eating there years ago, I'd see pigs wolf down chicken, and later look both ways, then dump even more food into a bag they'd stuffed in their purse. Evil people.

Lasted less than a year. Owners declared bankruptcy.

I can't believe that people........even in expensive hotels.....steal food.....bread buns, cheese and ham from the breakfast buffet....or worse, pile their plates up and leave a mountain of food totally untouched...... even three or four slices of bread!!!!

I once saw a women take back to her room the big, fresh fruit platter that is usually positioned on the way out of the hotel restaurant......unbelievable. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, David T Pike said:

Where did you read 20 plates of gristle?

The customer had repeatedly ordered food and was fined 50 baht for every 100 grams of meat they did not consume. 

They were fined 1000 baht. That is 2000 grams....or 20 plates of 100 grams.

12 hours ago, David T Pike said:

Where did you read 20 plates of gristle?

32 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Is there something wrong with you? Try to follow the thread instead of just reacting without thinking.

I referenced the same comment as he did, stay on track I have been in the OP posting since day 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I referenced the same comment as he did, stay on track I have been in the OP posting since day 1

What comment would that be Mr Smart? He is clearly on a different track....and you are on a different planet if you think that you understood. Where did I write "20 plates of gristle"?

It's clearly too early for you. You need more sleep.

Edited by Bruno123

17 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Posting since day one but still unable to follow. What a shame!

image.png.060a13d1ddb09acb3806a7601e577837.png

Your a hopeless lost cause, learn to read your own posts starting from the beginning and then the comments and then your responses you might just see the irony....unless of course you were being sarcastic in responses which I obviously missed....

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your a hopeless lost cause, learn to read your own posts starting from the beginning and then the comments and then your responses you might just see the irony....unless of course you were being sarcastic in responses which I obviously missed....

Now because you look a complete idiot, you are resorting to gaslighting. No one else is confused here; just you and David T Pike. Probably he is no longer confused either, after my latest post to him; so it's just you. 

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, theoldgit said:

I don't believe that threatening to sue disgruntled diners for defamation is a particularly good business model.

But they could be mates of a competing business sent there to publicly dis the place for business reasons.  

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

They were fined 1000 baht. That is 2000 grams....or 20 plates of 100 grams.

OK, I get it now. It must have been a "all you can eat" shabu. They do have "a la carte" Shabu. But I can see where they ordered a plate of a certain cut of meat and when it arrived they saw that it is full of gristle and fat and did not bother cooking it and ordered more of a different cut. They do not say what the size of the "party" was so it could have been 6-10 people and if each patron cast aside several plates of fat and gristle marbled meats you could come up with 20 plates fairly quick.

What should have done by the patron and his guests was to return the meats they found offensive immediately after receiving it. This hopefully would have solved everything. But then again the management may have quibbled over taking the meat back once it hit their tables.

If only people would communicate better.... ????

On 4/1/2022 at 5:40 PM, jacko45k said:

How so..... if they eat all the food, they took what they needed, if they do not, they took more than they needed and caused waste! 

The idea is that most people can't eat more then two full plates, especially when they keep filling your drinks all the time.

Once in awhile some sumo guy will come in and cause a problem, but a savvy server can put something in his drink if it's a big problem.

Visited Sushiro at Central World yesterday, a popular conveyor-belt sushi place here - with a long, long history in Japan. 

Stipulating that this is not a AYCE-buffet place; you pay by the plate (40/60/80/120 baht).

Once you pluck the plate off the conveyor belt you buy it, consumed or not. 

Was wondering if they have any issues with folks slipping unconsumed plates back on the belt? Probably not as everyone likely understands the concept.

Awesome place.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:51 AM, keith101 said:

How the hell can a restaurant get away with fining customers for not eating food they did not like . They would be told where to go if anyone tried to fine me .

Most post, if not all post at the buffet's,  you will be charged for excess food left on yor plate.  Usually,  a certain weight. Take all you want, and some have a time limit, but eat all you take!  Who can blame them with the amount of waste some do.  Imagine,  this patron having consequences for their action.  Must comes as a shock that no one ever holds them accountable!

On 4/5/2022 at 10:35 AM, JimTripper said:

The idea is that most people can't eat more then two full plates, especially when they keep filling your drinks all the time.

Once in awhile some sumo guy will come in and cause a problem, but a savvy server can put something in his drink if it's a big problem.

Filling your drinks?  At all the Shaabu I been to it's self serve.