Non-B about to be cancelled. What can I do to not have to leave the country?

Hello,

Thank you for your help in advance.

My contract with a school here in Thailand has ended and so they are required to cancel my Non-B and work permit very soon. I would like to stay in Thailand but not have to sign up with a new school just yet. I have no idea what the visa process is right now for extensions or conversions, but I'm sure there must be a better way forward than me having to leave Thailand and try to re-enter with a tourist visa.

Please advise if I can convert my Non-B into a tourist visa without leaving the country or get some kind of extension, or what my next step should be? Are borders open? Does Laos require quarantine on their side if I do have to go? Can I maybe get 30 days on entry without having to get a tourist visa? If I have a home here do I still need to do a hotel quarantine when I come back into Thailand?

Best Regards,

Kayla

Get a covid extension, you can do this until the 23 of May.  You cant change Visa's inside the country, and yes through May you will have to do a quarantine if you leave the country. 4 years?

• Like 1

You cannot change to a tourist visa while in the country.

You could check with immigration about getting a 60 day covid 19 extension but the current order for them does not allow them if you have a non immigrant visa entry.

At this time Cambodia is the best nearby country to travel to.

Recent report about a trip to Cambodia is here. https://aseannow.com/topic/1254697-successful-visa-run-from-cambodia/

Requirments to apply for a single entry tourist visa is here. https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa-tr?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change to a tourist visa while in the country.

You could check with immigration about getting a 60 day covid 19 extension but the current order for them does not allow them if you have a non immigrant visa entry.

At this time Cambodia is the best nearby country to travel to.

Recent report about a trip to Cambodia is here. https://aseannow.com/topic/1254697-successful-visa-run-from-cambodia/

Requirments to apply for a single entry tourist visa is here. https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa-tr?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

Ubonjoe, I'm a bit confused by this OP. Does the school hold his passport while employed by them? If the OP has his passport then could he not extend the non-B? I'm just curious that's all since I came here on Non-B and extended just before it was due to expire (marriage method at that time) so I appreciate the difference.????

Edited by TKDfella

18 hours ago, marin said:

I wish you luck, but at the same time wonder how you could have all these questions if you have been living and working here in Thailand for the last year? 

That’s because nobody knows anything anymore due to Thais constantly changing, adding and taking rules

34 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

He could if he would qualify for an extension, but it sounds like he doesn't, so his only option is to leave Thailand

Not true. 

Kayla,
There are several schools and agencies that are converting visas to ED visas....without you having to leave the country and come back.  The agency I chose was offering to do so for 25k for 3 months.  A six month plan (I don't remember cost), and 9 months for 40k (what I chose) thru a school which I will attend the classes (your choice though to attend or not).

A border run with all the rules, I estimated cost about 20-25k, but then you can come back in a tourist visa.
But it also includes all the headaches and tiem spent juggling paperwork, quarantines (depending on day), or even possible rule changes while you are out of country, or "hidden rules" that pop up that are never mentioned (like my friend being denied reentry and forced to fly back to Cambodia after 2 years here).

If you want a vacation, a border run might be the best for you.

But the above reasons, and the time I need at home, I chose staying in country was best for me.

23 hours ago, KayC22 said:

Thanks Marin for your non-contribution to helping me solve this. I have been living here for 4 years and so have never had to do visa processes like this during Covid time. I wish you luck too, with finding more productive things to do with your time ????

LOL ????

My B visa was cancelled previously… but what I did may be outdated (yes it was covid times).

1. You will need an entry stamp whether you fly in and out or whatever. I went to SIN in the morning and back the same afternoon to obtain a stamp (Get the single entry permit at the dep. airport).

Do this BEFORE your B Visa is cancelled 

2. Go with your company to the BOI to cancel the B Visa. They will then give you a stamp with up to 7-10 days to leave the country after you cancel.

3. Go direct to CW immigration and apply for a NON O IF you are over 50 and meet the requirements.

IF Under 50:

Do what Ubon Joe says….good ruck ????