Samui 2022 - Whats happening !

2 hours ago, sitta said:

Raining a lot up there in Samui now? Any good hotel deal say for 7 to 10 Days stay?

Very hot and sunny. No real rain this month. Just an occasional shower depending on where you are.

https://www.windguru.cz/30397

A few deals to be found but the villas are busy. Villas that we manage are 90% full at the moment.

It all depends on where you want to stay and your budget.

Some new hotels opened this year - maybe doing deals?

Kimpton Kitalay, Choengmon and Hyatt Regency, North Chaweng.

Six Senses, Plai Laem has re-opened. Limited occupancy.

4 hours ago, sitta said:

Raining a lot up there in Samui now? Any good hotel deal say for 7 to 10 Days stay?

When I was there, the hotel prices had gone up alot, from a year before. Look around. There are likely some deals. A friend of mine who lives there, knows a number of hotel GM's. We also have a friend who works in a 5 star. All say the occupancy is no more than 30%, at this time, in most areas of Samui. I am sure there is some motivation to get the rooms booked. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 1:38 PM, sitta said:

Currently airfare from Sydney  Samui (USM) very high with Qantas, so will try to come around mid July and hope to get some good hotel deal  anywhere  near Chaweng, Bophut or Lamai beach

Don't know if similar things are happening in Oz, but in the UK airlines are reducing the number of flights, or like BA cancelling the LHR to BKK route all together. Apparently this is because nobody is flying LHR to BKK for business anymore, and BA made most of their profits from business users. 

The knock on effect is it's more difficult / expensive to get to Thailand than it used to be. 

From the UK I believe Thai are the only airline offering direct flights to Thailand now.

I've looked at going via Singapore using SIA / BA, but again prices are through the roof.  

Shame, because all this will slow Thailand's much needed recovery. Personally I can't wait much longer, and I reckon I'll bite the bullet for August time. 

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Don't know if similar things are happening in Oz, but in the UK airlines are reducing the number of flights,

Same here, few airlines fly to BKK now, but may change in July

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 7:38 PM, sitta said:

Currently airfare from Sydney  Samui (USM) very high with Qantas, so will try to come around mid July and hope to get some good hotel deal  anywhere  near Chaweng, Bophut or Lamai beach

Sydney to Samui is always quite expensive, pre covid the cheapest was to fly Sydney to Surat Thani via KL, and then get the shuttle to Nathon for 400 baht. I don't think AirAsia resumed the KL to Surat Thani flight.

In other news seems that Thailand pass is getting abolished in July, so Samui may get a bit of high season taste. But some venues in Chaweng like Hard Rock cafe and Palms are still not open, and the Ark Bar renovation seems to go slowly slowly...I doubt they'll be able to open with its former glory early August.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st July Justin Wellington in The Green Mango Club

image.thumb.jpeg.41dcb7fa16f71b104396bafd0fa5d0ae.jpeg

Award winning Singer Justin Wellington with almost 1 Billion views of the iconic 'IKO IKO' song in all social media platforms. The song is featured in Movies, Commercials and Fortnite games.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was there recently it was still quiet, but it had picked up alot from the previous year. Alot of new places opening in Ban Rak. And Chaweng was slowly coming back to life. A minor amount of talent in the soi Raggae bars. Otherwise, nightlife is still on life support. Hope the improvement continues. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2022 at 3:24 PM, khunPer said:

Saturday 27th August, DJ Da Charmin Prince at The Green Mango Club...

Call / Table Reservation 077 300 672
DRESS: Smart/Casual
Doors open 9:00 pm

image.jpeg.02ad6725eb75062d6c6023062f7af98e.jpeg

Table reservations and a dress code at the Green Mango ????

I guess it's only for this special event (I hope!)

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

30th September, Pride Parade...

image.thumb.jpeg.4c640c66b451f4b5e57df76199c31be5.jpeg

Tourism Association of Koh Samui
  · 
Lets all walk in the same shoes and proudly wave the rainbow flag together on 30 September 2022 in support of the LGBTQ+ community and "Wonder PRIDE Samui 2022" 
The Tourism Association of Koh Samui (TAKS) in collaboration with Tourism Authority of Thailand Koh Samui, invite everyone to join in the festivities of  "Wonder PRIDE Samui 2022" which begins our annual Pride Parade at 5pm from Starbucks at Central Mall, Chaweng. \March with us, March with Strangers, March together as one!
"Wonder Pride Samui 2022" wants to celebrate gender equality, liberty and the freedom of expression. 
- Everyone can join us on the LGBTQ+ Pride Parade 
- Carry on the party and by a ticket to SEEN beach club where you will enjoy enjoy a fantastic show by the biggest Drag Diva's on the Island, Dance and Play with the exciting and talented Perfunction Dancers, Dance until you drop with our international DJ and sip on awesome drinks & taste delicious snacks.
5 pm : Parade starts from Central Samui (Starbucks) 
6 pm : Party "Seen Beach Club" 
Only 990 THB (3 drinks / 1 snacks) 
Ticket available at TAKS office or call now at 093 - 1366562
——————————————————
ขอเชิญทุกท่านเดินไปด้วยกันและโบกธงสีรุ้งพร้อมกันอย่างภาคภูมิใจ 30 กันยายน 2565 เพื่อสนับสนุนชุมชน LGBTQ+ และ "Wonder PRIDE Samui 2022"
สมาคมการท่องเที่ยวเกาะสมุย (TAKS) ร่วมกับการท่องเที่ยวแห่งประเทศไทยเกาะสมุย ขอเชิญทุกท่านร่วมงาน "Wonder PRIDE Samui 2022" ซึ่งจะเริ่ม Pride Parade ประจำปี เวลา 17.00 น. จาก Starbucks เซ็นทรัล เฟสติวัล เกาะสมุย
March with us, March with Strangers, รวมเป็นหนึ่ง!
"วันเดอร์ ไพรด์ สมุย 2022" การเฉลิมฉลองความเท่าเทียม สิทธิ และเสรีภาพทางเพศ ในการแสดงออก
- ทุกท่านสามารถเข้าร่วม LGBTQ+ Pride Parade กับเราได้
- ร่วมงานปาร์ตี้และซื้อตั๋วร่วมงาน SEEN Beach Club เพลิดเพลินไปกับการแสดงที่สนุกสนานจาก Drag Diva's ที่ใหญ่ที่สุดบนเกาะสมุย 
- ร่วมเต้นรำกับ Perfunction Dancers ที่น่าตื่นตา ตื่นใจ และพบกับดีเจนานาชาติของเรา 
- จิบเครื่องดื่มเลิศรส และลิ้มลองของว่างแสนอร่อย
17.00 น. : ขบวนพาเหรดเริ่มต้นจากเซ็นทรัล เฟสติวัลสมุย (Starbucks)
18.00 น. ปาร์ตี้ "SEEN  Beach Club"
เพียง 990 บาท (เครื่องดื่ม 3 ชนิด และของว่าง 1 ชนิด)
จำหน่ายบัตรแล้ววันนี้ ! !  โทรเลย 093 - 1366562
หรือซื้อบัตรได้ที่ SEEN  Beach Club ในวันที่ 30 กันยายน 2565

• Like 1

27th September, Jazz Night at Chez Khun Ying Restaurant and Bar...

image.thumb.jpeg.15c66446dc0b7113e20aac35482e9ceb.jpeg

Tourism Association of Koh Samui says...
We have a pleasure to welcome the master himself, Mr. Yujiro Kiyosaki all the way from Japan and owner of very famous Bar LIBRE for the first time take over Guest Bartending Night at Chez Khun Ying restaurant and bar with his special cocktail menus along with a jazz night featuring talented group of special guest musicians: Khun Air, Khun Boy, Khun Ping & Khun Ping.

Relax and unwind, enjoy the jazzy tunes and special crafted cocktails for one night only

Venue: Chez Khun Ying Restaurant and Bar
Date: 27 of September 2022
Time: 19:00-22:00

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yowza! Green Mango is still rockin?

I left Samui after about 10 yrs in Maenam in 2006. Did a google street search of the village and OMG, the only thing I recognize is Gai's Pharmacy. I pray that Gai is still there. I wonder if her daughter Nong Dan got her wish to be a vet. 
Looks way too busy for me now, but hope all expats are enjoying the life.

Do the White Herons still fly to and from Ang Thong everyday? I think their nesting habitat was razed for villas in Big Buddha many years ago.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Spent the last couple of weeks at Lamai Beach. They have lost a few of the main bars like The Shamrock but are slowly getting replaced. Another music venue close by now. Plenty of restaurants open. 

Shame that it still seems be be plagued by dogs roaming the beach and streets. They seem non-plussed on the beach but not so on the streets at night. A few of them were very aggressive towards anything that went passed them last night. Rather unpleasant. 

Aside from that, still a fun place to visit. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There is a Pink Floyd tribute band doing a concert somewhere near Chaweng Lake 27th and 28th December.

They are supposed to be very good. In aid of some Muay Thai Foundation.

According to the poster that I saw. Prices 300THB/person, or 8000THB/table of eight.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

There is a Pink Floyd tribute band doing a concert somewhere near Chaweng Lake 27th and 28th December.

They are supposed to be very good. In aid of some Muay Thai Foundation.

According to the poster that I saw. Prices 300THB/person, or 8000THB/table of eight.

Here is a link to the concert and tickets:

https://floydexperience.com

• Like 2