Vinegar the message as Chiang Mai vets train Koh Samui folk about threat of box jellyfish

webfact

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

Just pee on the wound - far easier

Just so. Readily available, comes with handy directional dispenser spout, and your 'friends', as well as your enemies, are happy to assist you.

I grew up on South Texas beaches with frequent Portuguese Man of War float jellyfish sightings.

I've participated is such humanitarian rescues more than one. ????

21 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Just so. Readily available, comes with handy directional dispenser spout, and your 'friends', as well as your enemies, are happy to assist you.

I grew up on South Texas beaches with frequent Portuguese Man of War float jellyfish sightings.

I've participated is such humanitarian rescues more than one. ????

Really? South Texas beaches?   Glad I never had an encounter with one when I was swimming there.  

17 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Really? South Texas beaches?   Glad I never had an encounter with one when I was swimming there.  

It's the long blue tentacles that are poisonous and can be several feet long. If you get into them in the water it can be pretty bad. But generally they are easy to spot in the water because of the translucent blue float, and you see them on the beaches first too.

They are actually colonial creatures comprising at least five different organisms living as one. Fascinating in many ways.

We always kept a jar of Adolphs Meat Tenderizer in the car. Sprinkle it on the wounds to dissolve the proteins that make the poison. Works rapidly.

• Like 1